wrx stereo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on wrx stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; hey guys, i just got a wrx a few weeks ago and want to put in my sub and amp ...

wrx stereo

hey guys, i just got a wrx a few weeks ago and want to put in my sub and amp from my last car......are there rca ouputs on the back of the factory deck? if not how would i go about hooking up the factory deck to my amp? thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heh

I am looking for the same info...please let me know what you find out and I will do the same. I think that there are no RCA pre-outs and that the best solution is to buy a new deck and go from there...I have put down a deposit on one that has an upgraded stereo system and I am now looking to see if I can find one without the upgrade...seems like a waste of money :-(

Shain

There are no RCA pre-outs in the factory deck. However if you dont feel like upgrading the stock deck just get yourself a line-out converter, you can get them at circuit city or any car audio shop. You'll need the schematics for the factory deck though so you know which wires to splice into, I'll see if I can dig that up for ya. I hooked up an amp/sub in my friends rex it was very easy.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

RCA outputs

You can get one of those filters if you want that takes the amplified "high level" inputs (the speaker wires) and removes as much power as it can and gives you an RCA out, or most amps have high level inputs as well as the RCA inputs and you can use those. If you want to get the best sound, just use the speaker wires that come directly out of the head unit before they go to the factory amp. These are pretty much the same as if it had RCA as far as quality.

Originally posted by GregFarz78
    You'll need the schematics for the factory deck though so you know which wires to splice into, I'll see if I can dig that up for ya.
    Hey sounds like you and Agent86 are talking about the same thing. I have a question about how the "subwoofer upgrade" is wired--does it take high V input, or does it take something else? If it's low, could we take it's input as RCA? Greg, if your schematics show how their sub is connected, me =

.. Prepare thyself for a car-audio novice question: do adjustable 3-way cross-overs exist? I was silly enough to buy their subwoofer, and it's not too bad for mid-range bass (Holy 100 Hz Batman!), so maybe I could keep it. ..but still I'd like more juice to the front 6 and a real sub (in my tire-well!) Just a thought

Originally posted by klancek

Hey sounds like you and Agent86 are talking about the same thing. I have a question about how the "subwoofer upgrade" is wired--does it take high V input, or does it take something else? If it's low, could we take it's input as RCA? Greg, if your schematics show how their sub is connected, me =

.. Prepare thyself for a car-audio novice question: do adjustable 3-way cross-overs exist? I was silly enough to buy their subwoofer, and it's not too bad for mid-range bass (Holy 100 Hz Batman!), so maybe I could keep it. ..but still I'd like more juice to the front 6 and a real sub (in my tire-well!) Just a thought
    Not exactly Agent is talking about speaker level inputs (correct me if I'm wrong)...my advise would be go with the line out converter speaker level inputs suck

Are you speaking of the factory sub? I think it has adjustments on it I never really looked that closly at that POS lol
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

The line out converter as well as the high level inputs accept high level speaker wire inputs. My 2 points were:

1. no reason to pay for the converter when most amps have that feature built in.

2. if you grab a pair of inputs off the head unit before it goes to the factory amp then even through they will be speaker wire, they will be low level. just grab the rear set of wires before they go to the factory amp. I would even suggest taking the set and running it through a passive 2-way crossover. then send the high output to the factory amp which will then power the 4" rears which will benefit from the bass filtration, and run the low output to your amp for your sub. Since this will be a speaker wire, you can either run it to the high level inputs on the sub even though it isn't really a high level input, or take an RCA cable and cut one end off and hook the bare wire end up to the crossover. I think that the outside connection of the RCA is possotive, but I am not totally sure. If the crossover you get has RCA inputs and outputs, just solder an RCA plug onto the wire from the stereo. It should be pretty easy to sort out, put feel free to ask any questions if I was not clear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agent86,
    I have my amp in my hands. It a MTX Thunder 250X. I see that is has a set of four male connector ends that says High Level on the back of the amp. They are right next to the In/Out RCA inputs. But how or what to I hook up to those connectors to do the same thing RCA cables would do. Is there a certaing female connector with four inserts that I use to hook up the some wire from the head unit to the amp? I am confused. You also said factory amp. Where is that located? Do I splice right into the factory rear speakers somehow. All I plan on running off this amp is my bazooka 10" sub. Please help.

My car also came with the factory Subwoofer under the passenger seat. If it is possible, I would like to keep that running as well.
    Thank you,
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Agent86 said:

RCA outputs
    You can get one of those filters if you want that takes the amplified "high level" inputs (the speaker wires) and removes as much power as it can and gives you an RCA out, or most amps have high level inputs as well as the RCA inputs and you can use those. If you want to get the best sound, just use the speaker wires that come directly out of the head unit before they go to the factory amp. These are pretty much the same as if it had RCA as far as quality.

... I wonder if we're all trying to say the same thing:
    Originally posted by Agent86
    2. if you grab a pair of inputs off the head unit before it goes to the factory amp then even through ...
    A86 are you talking about the factory amp/"subwoofer" thing under my passenger seat? Or are you talking about an op-amp physically inside the head unit, like Greg is talking about? I agree with Greg that going into the head unit to get true pre-amp leads would be cleaner, but it'd be nice if we could avoid the work. (cue schematics--oh wait, we don't have them yet)

Greg, should you find schematics (cross fingers) and post them (hint hint) I'd be really interested to know how the factory upgrade amp/sub is wired. If A86 and I are correct, the factory lead under the seat would serve nicely as low V, quasi-RCA, hopefully true pre-amp signal. ..in that case, KD, we could do what A86 was saying (with a passive crossover) and keep our 100 Hz miracle things. ..which aren't always POS, especially when a passenger remarks on their butt-jiggling comfort action.

-Lance

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.