GPS/Navigation System?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on GPS/Navigation System? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone have recommendations on a good/cheap GPS/Navigation System? I'm looking for one that gives door-to-door directions. I'm hoping to pay ...

Joe

GPS/Navigation System?

Anyone have recommendations on a good/cheap GPS/Navigation System? I'm looking for one that gives door-to-door directions. I'm hoping to pay $1000 or less (not sure if that's possible).

I'm not sure if I need a car-installed system, or if a handheld system would work too; I'm open to any thoughts/comments.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Joe
    Oh, and I'm hoping to keep the stock radio/changer.

Heh, thanks again.

navagation

goto i-club and do a search under blaupunkt navagation- i am the blaupunkt rep for southern cali so i might be able to hook you up- maybe not under a 1000, but definitely not that much over!!!
    www.blaupunktusa.com
    let the a$$ kicking begin!

I was looking into this too, and the best solution I could come up with would be to get a PDA (like the Compaq Presario 38xx or 36xx) and either the Destinator or Pharos GPS system.

The pros seem to be that you get a better display than the Blaupunkt (and possibly the Garmins, can anyone confirm?), its removable, plus you get a powerful PDA.

The drawbacks are that when you use it, you will have wires across your dash, and you can only load a few maps at a time.

Can anyone with a PDA-based system comment on how you like it?

I dunno. I personally have not felt an intense need to have a sat nav (in dash), but I do have the Emap by Garmin, and that works very well for me. It does not have a colour display, but it gives very detailed information about your current location wrt other landmarks and roads in your vicinity. It is backlit also for use at night.

Now, it will not tell you how to get somewhere directly, but what it will do is that you can program in advance your route into the unit, marking out when you turn left and right, etc. The Emap will then signal to you as you drive when it is time to turn left, and right, etc, and distance to your next turning. It can also show your speed (nice to see how inaccurate your speedo is at high speed!), and a bunch of other stuff. Other interesting features is that it can tell what time the sun will rise and set that day, and some other neat stuff.

I only use mine when I am lost, and it is nice because it saves me having to clutter the interior of my car by carrying maps. It is a small lightweight unit that can be easily stashed in the glove box.

I should also mention that Garmin sells CDs that provide even more detail, but you will need to purchase the memory chips for the Emap in order to store additional info onto the Emap.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I have a Handspring Visor with a Magellan GPS module. cost me about $250 for the palmtop and $150 for the gps module. you can get a handheld bracket for your car just about anywhere and with a little work you can run acc wires to it from the dash. make sure you get a handheld that will run on external power....the cheapest Handspring won't. The GPS module has its own power input (so you'll need 2 jacks). Its not the prettiest, but it works, and its cheap, and when i'm out of the car its also my phonebook, organizer and all that. Right now I don't think anyone sells software that will get you door-to door directions on a palmtop, but even if you had them you're not going to be messing with it when you're driving anyway. it WILL let you put in an address and show you where it is though.

I've got this one:
    http://www.destinator1.com/ running on an ipaq 3650 with a 340meg microdrive, and i love it...it rocks, the only thing I dont like is that I have wires all over the place....I'm still debating how i'm going to clean them up/how i'm going to hardwire it.

Originally posted by Azurik
    I've got this one:
    http://www.destinator1.com/ running on an ipaq 3650 with a 340meg microdrive, and i love it...it rocks, the only thing I dont like is that I have wires all over the place....I'm still debating how i'm going to clean them up/how i'm going to hardwire it.
    Do you have any pix of placement and of screen shots?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.