Anyone have 6X9s in their rear deck??

This is a discussion on Anyone have 6X9s in their rear deck?? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; just wondering if anyone has installed 6X9s in their rear deck of the sedan? because i was thinking about doing ...

Anyone have 6X9s in their rear deck??

just wondering if anyone has installed 6X9s in their rear deck of the sedan?

because i was thinking about doing this the subs i had in their just added too much weight to the car.
    pics? install?
    2002 bugeyes
    It just looks stock . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

umm, no.
    thin rear deck not designed for the application. it would probably sound bad, and it would certainly not sound as good as a subwoofer. not to mention the cutting you'd probably have to do to the metal deck under the carpeting. apples and oranges; you're talking some mid-bass at best vs true bass from a sub.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

The deck IS already cut for the speakers..

I believe people on NASIOC have tried it, search there
    '12 WRB Sedan

the deck is already cut for it?
    are you talking about the metal underneath ?

the reason i want to do this is i dont like how much weight my subs add and i am not a fan of having just one sub so this is why i want to know if they will fit.
    2002 bugeyes

bump?
    2002 bugeyes

well there are factory cutouts on the metal. However, not sure about the exact sizing. I think you can fit 6.5" no problem. FAIR WARNING. The deck is rather thin and not supported to well, so dont expect too much out of it. If you put 6x9's back there, be sure to apply some Dynamat (or other) material to help with the vibrations. Also, you WILL be dealing with a buzzing and rattling third brake light!!!

If weight is an issue.. a simple box made of fiberglass is a good alternative. My box for 2 10" woofers weighs about 55 pounds....thats for EVERYTHING

hope it helps.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

I think those holes won't fit anything bigger than a 3x6 speaker...

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen 5.25" in the rear deck (I think). If you want to go with something big, I would suggest taking out the rear deck and maybe hitting the bottom with some fiberglass to stiffen it up, then some dynmat to stop it from vibrating.....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

out of all the lovely things about this car. . . and it is not ear or weight friendly.

how much lighter is the fiberglass than the particle board overall
    for a box for two 12s on average? because if it is not that much difference i am definetely not going to spend the xtra $$$.!

and do i have to get the fiberglass box custom made or can you buy them just like particle board boxes now cause i have never seen them online ?

thanks.
    2002 bugeyes

The box for 2 12's would definitely have to be custom made. The weight difference is a lot. For example, the box in my wrx, which has over 2 cubic feet of air space, weighed in at 25 pounds. The major factor will be the speakers. I am using 2 10" fosgate HX2, which have a pretty good sized magnet structure. I would have to take a guess and say that the total weight would be around 60-65 lbs for 2 12". Please understand that majority of the prefabs use only 5/8" particle board, which has a tendency to "breathe". If you go with a prefab, take a can of rubberized undercoating and coat the inside of the box. That way the wood does not "breathe" and you bass should sound more accurate and better.

Measure thos prefabs, youd be surprised just how much they really weigh. Especially the band pass boxes.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

I have one 12" Kicker Comp VR in a sealed box made out of regular MDF partical board. I have a Fosgate 200.2 pushing it. It sounds incredible in the car and pretty decent outside also. I made the box with constant removal in mind. I permanently mounted a bracket to the box. I put a self tapping screw in to the cross bar (bar in the trunk that runs along the top of the back seat) and notched the bracket to slide on and off of the screw. I also carpeted the bracket (charcoal gray speaker box carpet) to match the box, which coincidentally matches the color of the trunk also. If I go racing, I just pull it out. If I get a flat and need to get to the spare (which was the original reason for making it removable), I pull it out. But unless I unhook it from that screw, it doesn't go anywhere.
    Unfortunately, audio system were not designed with racing or for great weight distribution during cornering in mind. Unless you set it up like I did or do something better, you're gonna have to make a choice: Weight vs. Knock. Just my $0.02

P.S. You were planning on mounting 6 x 9's in the rear deck or putting a pair of 12" subs in a custom fibeglass box, but you are not willing to go the single 12" sub route? You can mount two 12" subs free air in your trunk, better yet just place them unistalled without a box in your trunk and they will weigh more than my one 12" sub installed in the box. And you could get the best pair of 6x9's and they will never equal the quality or definition of bass my one 12" sub can put out, and my bass is removable. You may just wanna re-think about not going the single sub route. Again, just my $0.02

thanks for your input. thats some food for thought.
    i am a real fan of knock and when i had the subs in the car it wasnt braced down which might have been part of the problem but it just seemed sooo heavy i had to take it out. but i might put it back in. but i would also like to have some 6X9s in the rear deck either way knock or no knock. just trying to find out if it can be done. and if it is done what the downsides of it are.

thanks again and any more input positive or negative would be appreciated.
    2002 bugeyes