building a sound system got 2 questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on building a sound system got 2 questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; from what i hear the stock speakers are 5 1/4" front 4" rear and its expandable to 6 1/2" front ...

building a sound system got 2 questions

from what i hear the stock speakers are 5 1/4" front 4" rear
    and its expandable to 6 1/2" front and 5 1/4 this is what i plan on buying ...

1.alpine cda9815 head unit
    2.infinity kappa 60.5cs 6 1/2" for the front
    3.infinity kappa 50.5cs 5 1/4" for the back
    4.alpine mrvf540 4 channel speaker amp
    5.audio bahn a1300hct 1300 watt sub amp
    6.alpine swr1241d 12" type r subwoofer

2 questions

1. do i need "spacers" for my front speakers? supposedly when putting the window down the window will actually hit the magnet on the speaker. where can i get these or how can i make these? and i wont need anything for the back's right 5 1/4" shouldnt be a problem for stock size speakers at 4"?

2.custom subwoofer encloures? anyone of u guys know where i can get one for the wrx? like i think ive seen one before where the sub goes where the spare tire would be. i only plan on buying 1 sub so any place where i can get this?

thanx for the help
    World Rally Blue 2002 Subaru WRX
    Current Mods: NONE!
    HKS SSQV Blow off Valve Ordered
    Exhaust System is next ...
    Jesse's 2002 Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The OE front speakers are 6 1/2"

1. Yes you will need spacers. You can make it out of 3/4" MDF, plywood, or any other dense wood. Or you can get the spacers from a 96-99 Outback, they will work too. djrez4 wrote a great front speaker install here OK...full front speaker install with pics!

I'm not sure if 5 1/4" will fit in the rear locations.

2. All the spare tire enclosures I've seen have been custom made. You can make one yourself, or have an audio shop do it. Do a search in this forum and check out this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...guy+spare+tire
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Yeah everything I've heard is that you'll need the spacers.

And yes, check on this forum to see what people have done with spare tire well enclosures. The Alpine Type R should sound nice. If you are going with a lot of power, make sure you run at least 8-gauge wire but 4-gauge would be better. Good luck with the system.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Re: building a sound system got 2 questions

If you are going with a lot of power, make sure you run at least 8-gauge wire but 4-gauge would be better.
    Originally posted by jcosta223

4.alpine mrvf540 4 channel speaker amp
    5.audio bahn a1300hct 1300 watt sub amp
    I'd say 4AWG at the least...

FYI, the Audiobahn only makes 600W at 2-ohms mono, so you might want to look into an amp more suited to your needs. I recommend using the JL 300/4 for your mains, and a 500/1 for your sub.
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

You will need spacers. And they will need to be a bit larger in ID than most other 6.5" speakers. They are about 1/8" bigger in diameter due to the "plus one woofer". I replaced some Kenwoods with Infinity today and had to put my spacers (custom cut) back on the saw to enlarge their ID (inside diameter).
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

dont know if youve already done it or not. But, 5 1/4 should fit the rear doors. However, the door panel might cover some of the surrounds (strange noises) and you will need to make custom mounts for them in the rear as well.

As far as the bass amp, I would actually recommend 2 gauge. BTW, your lights WILL blink with the bass. The wrx alternators are not particularly high current models. Another thing you might want to do is the grounding mod (search for it). That will help as well. Finally, with such a big bass amp, consider a stiffening cap. I did and it helped in my car.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.