Subaru WRX Forum banner

New stereo system installed!

10K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  scooby9 
#1 ·
Special thanks to HiFiWRX (Jeff) for all his hard work, dedication, patience, knowledge, and of course time. This was pretty much all his idea and design. He did an AWESOME job with it and he should get ALL the props for it!

Alpine CDA-7878 headunit with an OEM Subaru Legacy DIN pocket with door:

Xtant 2200ix amp and Diamond Audio 10-inch "Mack Daddy" sub:

Everything all lit up in the cabin:

More pics here: http://www.pbase.com/verdugo/interior_061803

See less See more
#2 ·
ooh baby... i like that trunk setup. i've always wondered... do you have anything to lay over the sub when putting stuff in the trunk, or do you no longer use the trunk for storage when you have a sub in there?
OT, but i need one more post for the big 800 posts... woohoo :D.
o-|-<) bryan

#3 ·
ok #800... but i didnt do it on purpose, i swear.

i just noticed in the closeups of your gauges that it says "Blitz gauge and carbon fiber blah blah blah." does that come off, or what is the deal with it?

o-|-<) bryan

#4 ·
Jeff actually made two grills that I still have yet to add velcro to, that will just stick over the amp and sub to protect it. That way, I can still use the cargo space.

As for the gauges, that's what it says under the glass...it's the only cheesy thing about them :D

#6 ·
It's a 400 watt amp :) Jeff did a great job with the spare tire well enclosure (tire is still there!) and it hits very very clean.

#10 ·
KanosWRX said:
Looks great armin, I thought you said you didn't have any money :)
Haha...this was all paid for before I decided to start saving money...LOL :D

#11 ·
verbal said:
...and they're metric. :)
LOL I really don't understand your problem with metric gauges...everywhere else in the world uses them except the US and possibly UK...so how am I the weird one? :D

#12 ·
Verdugo said:
LOL I really don't understand your problem with metric gauges...everywhere else in the world uses them except the US and possibly UK...so how am I the weird one? :D
When I look at a gauge, I want to have a good idea about what it's saying. I really have no clue what 300 degrees celcius would feel like, nor do most people. BUT I have a really good idea of what 300 degrees farenheit feels like. Which would help with knowing if the reading is bad or not.

Same goes for boost. "I usually hit about 14 psi boost" means a lot more to people than "I usually hit about 1.1 bar boost."

Note: all above numbers were randomly chosen.

#13 ·
verbal said:
When I look at a gauge, I want to have a good idea about what it's saying. I really have no clue what 300 degrees celcius would feel like, nor do most people. BUT I have a really good idea of what 300 degrees farenheit feels like. Which would help with knowing if the reading is bad or not.

Same goes for boost. "I usually hit about 14 psi boost" means a lot more to people than "I usually hit about 1.1 bar boost."

Note: all above numbers were randomly chosen.
Ahhh well for C...100 degrees is when water boils, and 0 is when it freezes. Nice and simple, none of this 212 and 32 nonsense :) I always keep that in mind as a reference so it makes it easy to visualize that 300 C would be 3 times as hot as water's boiling point.

As for bar, I agree it takes some getting used to, but then again it's another easy reference point. 1 bar = ~1 atmosphere of pressure. Thus, if I'm pushing 2 bar for example (yeah I wish!), there would be twice as much of the earth's air pressure at sea level being compressed in my turbo.

It all comes down to personal preference of course...I guess when growing up in school, I just found the metric system to be a whole lot simpler and logical than the weird numbers we're all acustomed to.

#16 ·
iv30 said:
Thanks for tellin me!!

It looks good though, now you just have to keep all the crap out of your trunk.
hahaha I wanted to surprise you ;)

And nope no more grounding problems, Patrick! :)

#18 ·
Verdugo said:
Ahhh well for C...100 degrees is when water boils, and 0 is when it freezes. Nice and simple, none of this 212 and 32 nonsense :) I always keep that in mind as a reference so it makes it easy to visualize that 300 C would be 3 times as hot as water's boiling point.

As for bar, I agree it takes some getting used to, but then again it's another easy reference point. 1 bar = ~1 atmosphere of pressure. Thus, if I'm pushing 2 bar for example (yeah I wish!), there would be twice as much of the earth's air pressure at sea level being compressed in my turbo.

It all comes down to personal preference of course...I guess when growing up in school, I just found the metric system to be a whole lot simpler and logical than the weird numbers we're all acustomed to.
So what is ~1 atmosphere of pressure in PSI?

How much did you pay for those gauges?

#19 ·
verbal said:
So what is ~1 atmosphere of pressure in PSI?

How much did you pay for those gauges?
~1 atmosphere in PSI is 14.5 :D

Hmmm...I don't quite remember how much I paid but they were among the first in the country so Garret gave me a sweet deal on them. Somewhere around $300-400 with the pod if I remember correctly.

#23 ·
Do you mind sharing some of the install details on the sub/sub-box? I am actually looking at using that same sub, or a similar Diamond model, and would like to know what the box underneath the floor looks like and how much air space it has. I would be using a different amp, but one with a similar amount of power. Also, does the grill take into account the long excursion of this woofer? If so, what does it look like in place?

Thank you,
the_bear

#24 ·
the_bear said:
Do you mind sharing some of the install details on the sub/sub-box? I am actually looking at using that same sub, or a similar Diamond model, and would like to know what the box underneath the floor looks like and how much air space it has. I would be using a different amp, but one with a similar amount of power. Also, does the grill take into account the long excursion of this woofer? If so, what does it look like in place?

Thank you,
the_bear
HiFiWRX took care of all of the install, so you'll need to ask him :)

#25 · (Edited)
Verdugo said:
HiFiWRX took care of all of the install, so you'll need to ask him :)
Here is a pic from today, :D

The box has about .76-.78 cubic feet with the woofer displacing about .13 or so leaving about .65 cubic feet. I polyfilled about 1/2 of the enclosure as well...

I will get the "in process pics up shortly" ;)

The enclosure is about 3/16"-1/4" thick fiberglass. I formed it on top of the spare tire then I actually covered the entire outside of the box (that goes into the tire) with Dynamat Extreme to stiffen and deaden it even more. The spare is still functional, it would take probably 15 min to get to the spare though so it is not SUPER easy but it is still functional. I will explain more when I post the in progress pics..

The main thing besides box volume you have to take into consideration in an install like this is speaker depth, leaving the spare in limits the depth, the Diamond MD or "HEX" woofers like this one are not all that deep. The whole floor was raised about 3" in this instance. The woofer is not flush, it is recessed about 1/2" in order to allow room for the excursuion when the grill is on, which should only be when he is hauling stuff anyway.

The Xtant amp is running 400 watts at 4 ohms, it is a super efficient amp and by far one of the best amps ever built, if not the best. The 2200ix is a very hard to come by amp! I happened to have 2 of them and decided to restructure my own system so one became available, along with one of my 3 MD10 subs :D I will be running 2 MD10 subs off an Xtant x1001 amp in my own car.

I still have one of the xtant 2200ix amps but I am probably going to sell it. Originally I was going to run 3 of them. 1 - to my left mids and tweets, 1 - to my right mids and tweets and 1 to the 3 10s... But I decided to get an X604 4 channel for the fronts and the X1001 for the back so I only had 2 amps instead of 3....

Any other questions feel free to ask via post, PM or email!

HiFiWRX@aol.com
My name is Jeff.

#26 ·
What kind of SPL's can you get out of that woofer in this setup? I went and looked at the model of sub that I want to get and it is actually the TDX model, which, after I looked into the specs, is almost 4.5 inches deeper than the model you used here. I would minimally have to give up the spare for that type of mounting, if it will even fit at all. I am just wondering what the difference between the two woofers will be with around 500 watts pushing either one. The specs show they can live in a similar amount of air space, does that match your experience?

Thanks for sharing the details, I can't wait to see the pictures.

-the_bear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.