New stereo system installed! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New stereo system installed! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally posted by iv30 Thanks for tellin me!! It looks good though, now you just have to keep all the ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by iv30
    Thanks for tellin me!!

It looks good though, now you just have to keep all the crap out of your trunk.
    hahaha I wanted to surprise you

And nope no more grounding problems, Patrick!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

armin, that looks fantastic. i'm totally jealous of the interior shot. really tight trunk setup as well.

congrats!

dR

Originally posted by Verdugo
    Ahhh well for C...100 degrees is when water boils, and 0 is when it freezes. Nice and simple, none of this 212 and 32 nonsense I always keep that in mind as a reference so it makes it easy to visualize that 300 C would be 3 times as hot as water's boiling point.

As for bar, I agree it takes some getting used to, but then again it's another easy reference point. 1 bar = ~1 atmosphere of pressure. Thus, if I'm pushing 2 bar for example (yeah I wish!), there would be twice as much of the earth's air pressure at sea level being compressed in my turbo.

It all comes down to personal preference of course...I guess when growing up in school, I just found the metric system to be a whole lot simpler and logical than the weird numbers we're all acustomed to.
    So what is ~1 atmosphere of pressure in PSI?

How much did you pay for those gauges?

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by verbal
    So what is ~1 atmosphere of pressure in PSI?

How much did you pay for those gauges?
    ~1 atmosphere in PSI is 14.5

Hmmm...I don't quite remember how much I paid but they were among the first in the country so Garret gave me a sweet deal on them. Somewhere around $300-400 with the pod if I remember correctly.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Somewhere around $300-400 with the pod if I remember correctly.
    From where if you dont mind my asking! Looks great!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Garret @ World One

Just one word:

TIGHT!

-Jim

Do you mind sharing some of the install details on the sub/sub-box? I am actually looking at using that same sub, or a similar Diamond model, and would like to know what the box underneath the floor looks like and how much air space it has. I would be using a different amp, but one with a similar amount of power. Also, does the grill take into account the long excursion of this woofer? If so, what does it look like in place?

Thank you,
    the_bear

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by the_bear
    Do you mind sharing some of the install details on the sub/sub-box? I am actually looking at using that same sub, or a similar Diamond model, and would like to know what the box underneath the floor looks like and how much air space it has. I would be using a different amp, but one with a similar amount of power. Also, does the grill take into account the long excursion of this woofer? If so, what does it look like in place?

Thank you,
    the_bear
    HiFiWRX took care of all of the install, so you'll need to ask him

Thumbs up

HiFiWRX took care of all of the install, so you'll need to ask him
    Here is a pic from today,

The box has about .76-.78 cubic feet with the woofer displacing about .13 or so leaving about .65 cubic feet. I polyfilled about 1/2 of the enclosure as well...

I will get the "in process pics up shortly"

The enclosure is about 3/16"-1/4" thick fiberglass. I formed it on top of the spare tire then I actually covered the entire outside of the box (that goes into the tire) with Dynamat Extreme to stiffen and deaden it even more. The spare is still functional, it would take probably 15 min to get to the spare though so it is not SUPER easy but it is still functional. I will explain more when I post the in progress pics..

The main thing besides box volume you have to take into consideration in an install like this is speaker depth, leaving the spare in limits the depth, the Diamond MD or "HEX" woofers like this one are not all that deep. The whole floor was raised about 3" in this instance. The woofer is not flush, it is recessed about 1/2" in order to allow room for the excursuion when the grill is on, which should only be when he is hauling stuff anyway.

The Xtant amp is running 400 watts at 4 ohms, it is a super efficient amp and by far one of the best amps ever built, if not the best. The 2200ix is a very hard to come by amp! I happened to have 2 of them and decided to restructure my own system so one became available, along with one of my 3 MD10 subs I will be running 2 MD10 subs off an Xtant x1001 amp in my own car.

I still have one of the xtant 2200ix amps but I am probably going to sell it. Originally I was going to run 3 of them. 1 - to my left mids and tweets, 1 - to my right mids and tweets and 1 to the 3 10s... But I decided to get an X604 4 channel for the fronts and the X1001 for the back so I only had 2 amps instead of 3....

Any other questions feel free to ask via post, PM or email!

HiFiWRX@aol.com
    My name is Jeff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails verdugo.jpg  
    Last edited by HiFiWRX; 06-21-2003 at 10:57 PM.

What kind of SPL's can you get out of that woofer in this setup? I went and looked at the model of sub that I want to get and it is actually the TDX model, which, after I looked into the specs, is almost 4.5 inches deeper than the model you used here. I would minimally have to give up the spare for that type of mounting, if it will even fit at all. I am just wondering what the difference between the two woofers will be with around 500 watts pushing either one. The specs show they can live in a similar amount of air space, does that match your experience?

Thanks for sharing the details, I can't wait to see the pictures.

-the_bear

First off, here are the rest of the pics as promised

http://www.pbase.com/hifiwrx/installs

Now to answer your question, Verdugo's setup is built and tuned for a very balanced sound NOT SPL... If you really are shooting for the loudest setup, using these speakers is kind of a waste of a great piece of equiptment! You can get alot louder with other speakers but you WILL lose sound quality. To tell you then truth, SPL to me is a waste of time and money... it gets old QUICK... I speak from experience.

Now, if you are set on doing an "SPL system" and still want to use the Diamond subs, you need to run more like 800-1000 watts EACH to see their true SPL potential. they are high power speakers! With the way I set this system up it is more for a good bass response but still very much a "sound quality" setup..

For reference the MD10 (like Verdugo has here) is the 2002 Diamond Audio "flag ship" woofer. The TDX is their 2003 "flag ship" woofer and is improved slightly with a different magnet design and configuration.

The M6 series is a step up from last years M5 but falls just short of being the same level as the MD10 shown here.. If I were to go with a new Diamond Sub it would probabaly be the M6 due to easy mounting, a lower price tag, and an overall great performing sub woofer!

If you rank the DA subs this would be how they add up...
    • 1. 2003 TDX (better than the MD but NOT MUCH)
      2. 2002 MacDaddy "MD" Hex series
      3. 2003 M6 Motorsport series (Almost as good as the MD... ALMOST )
      4. 2002 M5 Motorsport series (great speaker, aluminum cone comes smooth or ribbed only difference is appearance.)

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by HiFiWRX; 06-24-2003 at 02:42 AM.

Can you please tell me what is the part number for the DIN pocket with the door? Did you have to modify anthing to get the pocket to fit? Thanks.
    Last edited by Speedstars; 06-24-2003 at 04:04 AM.

It's ALL about the "***** Please"
    haha
    Nice setup

Scott
    www.thewrxstore.com
    T3/T4 Kits starting @ $2500.

630.510.8981- Voice
    630.510.9978- Fax

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Speedstars
    Can you please tell me what is the part number for the DIN pocket with the door? Did you have to modify anthing to get the pocket to fit? Thanks.
    Here's the part number:

66120AE050

Jeff installed it with no modifications, provided you keep your stock bracket. It just screwed right in!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast