Aftermarket speakers - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Aftermarket speakers within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I took the liberty of cut & pasting the "motor break-in" portions as a new topic in the "Welcome to ...

I took the liberty of cut & pasting the "motor break-in" portions as a new topic in the "Welcome to the Club" section..

cheers
    -KLK

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Speakers that fit up front!

Hi everyone,
    Just had to let you know that there's a brand new component speaker system from Kenwood that sounds REALLY GREAT and will (barely) squeeze into those shallow fronts of the WRX (mine is a wagon) without further modification.

The model is KFC-XR61P, from their higher end eXcelon line, and they're pretty new on the market. They sell for $299-350 retail, and I've also seen them for about $220 online. They are unbelievably light, shallow speakers, the underlying technology is very different...it has two small magnets instead of one big one, made of neodymium rather than the usual stuff.
    When you hold them in your hand, they weigh only about 20% as much as usual high end speakers, but please give them a listen and decide for yourself! I think they compare well with Boston Pro or Infinity Kappas. I'm quite picky about clarity and detail in music (I have a Klipsch/Denon setup at home) and I have to say that these speakers are quite impressive, better than the eight speaker setup that came with my Lexus SC400). I have mine hooked up to an alpine T707 amp with the original WRX factory head unit, the difference is incredible, I can't believe it the same head unit! Even if you don't choose to use additional amplification, the speakers will still make a big difference just with your factory panasonic unit as the sole source of power.

Here's a link to Kenwood's site, I believe the speakers are so new that there's little press about them.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2428

I'm not in any way affiliated with Kenwood, I'm just an WRX owner that was very frustrated with the muddy sound from the factory setup, and had a really difficult time finding good speakers that fit. Problem solved!

Re: Speakers that fit up front!

Originally posted by FunnyBut
    Just had to let you know that there's a brand new component speaker system from Kenwood that sounds REALLY GREAT and will (barely) squeeze into those shallow fronts of the WRX (mine is a wagon) without further modification. The model is KFC-XR61P, from their higher end eXcelon line, and they're pretty new on the market.
    (snip)
    I have mine hooked up to an alpine T707 amp with the original WRX factory head unit, the difference is incredible, I can't believe it the same head unit!
    Hey thanks for the tip FB; did you install yourself? Where did you put the cross-overs, amp? Do you have the Subaru subwoofer "upgrade"?
    -KLK

Hi Klancek,

I didn't install them myself, but I did watch during most of the installation process. The crossovers were placed in the lower right corner of the door, just out of the way of the windows when they roll down...the installer had to play around with it a while to get it in the right spot where it wouldn't interfere with the window operation. My installer seemed very experienced, he even wrapped the crossovers in plastic and taped them over with duct tape, so they won't get wet even if the car gets submerged to the bottom of the doors. The amp was installed under the passenger seat. It fits quite nicely, but does interfere just a little with the rear passenger's foot room (behind the front passenger only, of course). I considered buying the Subaru optional subwoofer and upgraded speakers until I read some not-so-nice things about them on this board. My goal was just clarity and detail of sound, I wasn't really looking for thumping bass.

Fotos available on line

Hi All!

As promised I have several fotos of the disassembled interior of my WRX wagon available at:
    <http://chester.uccs.edu/wrx/>
    The .txt files are descriptive, fotos of stock speakers in ./speakers.
    Also, if you have enuf bandwidth there are a couple .wmv movies available. (snagged from the SPD website, hope they don't mind . . .) The wrc-high is about 12MB, but worth the effort.
    I'll put together a tutorial for the shifter install tomorrow, and possibly add some more fotos (if I can find them in my garage; er, um, I mean on my harddrive of course ;-).

ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    Microelectronics Research
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.