MP3 Player

This is a discussion on MP3 Player within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Check this out I'm actually looking into getting one of these. A little pricey but those looking to keep their ...

Exclamation MP3 Player

Check this out I'm actually looking into getting one of these. A little pricey but those looking to keep their stock head unit or even those with aftermarket head units this new Rio Riot portable unit looks like the best choice to me. And best part is its portable so you can take it with you where ever you go. 20 gig hard drive can hold LOTS of mp3s

Anyone have experience with Neo or Phatbox?

Heres the link http://www.riohome.com/audio/rio/rio_riot.asp
    Last edited by GregFarz78; 02-20-2002 at 02:13 PM.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Greg,

What exactly am I supposed to be checking out?
    Did you forget your attachment or link?

Edit your post to include it.

-Jim

you can get pretty good info here:
    http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/0-1...0.html?tag=pop
    I found one that looked interesting and clicked product info, then user opinions.

Often you can type the name of the device + forum, and find boards like this and people share the opinions and grips about the product.

Good Luck,
    Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

i have my rio 800 run through the tape deck. i was able to tuck the wiring away until the cup holder by the ebrake, so it looks remotely clean. b/w that, the 6 cd mixes in the deck, and the radio, i don't ever run out of music. the only negative is diff qualit mp3s (like 128 & 220) sound different. if similar qualities are adjacent tracks its okay, but when you jump from a real high qual to a medium qual, you;ll need to adjust the volume.

dR

Oh yea I dont download anything below 192 bitrate and I dont rip anything lower than 224 bitrate. You never get equal to cd quality but its pretty damn close once you get up over 192. Do you have any pics of your setup DR?
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

Why not just go with an in-dash MP3 Player. I bought one for my 3000GT and love it. It's now sitting in my closet waiting for me to get off my lazy a$$ and install it in the REXX (along with all my other components). Mine is a Kenwood. LOVE IT!

Will take regular CD's, CD-R's and CD-RW. I can fit about 150-200 songs (depending on bit-rate) on ONE disc! Plus I can group them into sub-folders so I have individual mixes all on one disc. When I'm tired of the music I have, I erase the disc and fill it back up. Think I picked my deck up off of Ebay for $280 brand new never opened.

The other cool thing about having an MP3 player is the unit automatically reads the ID3 tag from the song and displays Artist/Title info across the scrolling text.

Dark_Rex is right though, the different bit-rates get kind of annoying when your driving and have to re-adjust the volume at the beginning of every song, but hay, it beats carrying around 10 or 15 CD's instead of just one!
    Last edited by jmussetter; 02-21-2002 at 11:06 AM.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Why not just go with an in-dash MP3 Player
    '
    1) i already had the rio 800

2) they are expensive

3) they don't fit well aethetically in the rex (double din, models available)

4) loss of a 6 disc in dash changer

i've got about 18 gig in digital music. a lot of it was d-loaded befre the higher bitrates were more common, but i still have trouble finding the selection i want above 160bps. i have nothing below 128, but only about 1/4 of my collection is above 160. most are 160 i think.

dR

Already got an in dash MP3 the JVC KD-SH99 it would match the WRX interior very nicely with its brushed alum face. Its a very nice unit but having a portable unit with a 20-40 gig hard drive is a lot nicer. I can only get like 100 songs on a CD, something like the Rio Riot with a 20 gig hard drive can hold like 4000 songs and you can take it where ever you go. Start d/l and ripping 192+ you can really tell the difference at least I can. I have about 200 cd's so this Rio unit beats carrying around a huge ass book of cds
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

mp3

i would recommend a headunit that can read mp3 off a disc. but the rio that has 20 gigs is actually not selling very well!!!
    let the a$$ kicking begin!

Re: mp3

Originally posted by socal
    i would recommend a headunit that can read mp3 off a disc. but the rio that has 20 gigs is actually not selling very well!!!
    It just came out man...I think as a whole the portable and car MP3 units are not selling well b/c the popularity is still lagging. MP3s havent been around that long and its a more popular with young people. This guy I work with is only 10 years older than me (I'm 23) and he had no clue what an MP3 was he was amazed when I told him theres 100 songs on one CD lol. Its just like CD when they first started out, MP3s are new technology it will catch on more and the price will come down. Not everyone can afford to spend $400+ on an MP3 player. I personally think its a great invention whoever thought this up
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez

. MP3s havent been around that long and its a more popular with young people

mp3's have been out for over 5 years!!! i know that younger people are more comfortable with technology, but i'm 23, and i'm no youngster anymore

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex

mp3's have been out for over 5 years!!! i know that younger people are more comfortable with technology, but i'm 23, and i'm no youngster anymore
    dR
    Damn now that I think of it MP3s were first coming out when I was a freshman in college that was 96 Man I feel old now
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com

Audiophilez