After market sub install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on After market sub install within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; where do most people tap into rear door speaker wires for a high/low converter? I do not have stock subwoofer ...

After market sub install

where do most people tap into rear door speaker wires for a high/low converter? I do not have stock subwoofer I want to add my own. Wanna use stock radio for now. I would rather not remove door panels. Is it possible to catch the wires at the side pillar were front seatbelts are mounted? If so what color wires should I look for? I know others have done it but searches dont give me the "whole" answer.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone..anyone..............anyone.
    Damn this sucks.

Bump

I had a shop install my amp for me cause I'm awfully lazy, but I can tell you that they deciding that installing the amp under the passenger seat is the best place for it (closer to deck, keeps cabin temp).
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Thanks Campell, I was planning on under the seat. I think its the best place too. For many reasons, shorter wires from the battery, less wires to be routed to the trunk and especially for keeping the lower CG. I am also being a lazy ass. If it was 5 years ago I would have ripped the door panel off and figured the wiring out with hesitating. Whats realy strange is I work in the robotics industry and I know electronics very well. But when I come home from work its the last thing I feel like dealing with. So knowing which wires to look for would just make it a little simpler for me. Well I think I am gonna be taking my meter and other tools home with me today.

same here i had someone else do it for me...and my two amps are under both seats

Quote Originally Posted by campbell
    I had a shop install my amp for me cause I'm awfully lazy, but I can tell you that they deciding that installing the amp under the passenger seat is the best place for it (closer to deck, keeps cabin temp).
    Where under the seat? I'm confused any chance you could upload a pic or two? I'm about to install an amp and sub in my car, and am looking for a spot for the amp.
    Thanks
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

I have one amp, its under the front passenger's seat. I originally had it running from the stock HU, you need to to find the - and + wires for the back speakers, I used this: http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/m.../radiowrx.html

Since then I have replaced the HU though.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

yeah i've got an aftermarket HU w/preamp outputs for the sub.
    Did you just screw the amp into the floor of the car underneath the seat?
    '03 Aspen white rex

I used double sided foam tape
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    05 CBR600F4i

Quote Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
    I used double sided foam tape
    Foam tape? What's foam tape?
    '03 Aspen white rex

I don't know how to describe it, it's a thin spongy material with glue on both sides. It's comes in rolls from Home Depot or wherever. I think most double sided tape has some measurable thickness, the stuff I used is even thicker
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    05 CBR600F4i

Quote Originally Posted by F1-racer
    where do most people tap into rear door speaker wires for a high/low converter? I do not have stock subwoofer I want to add my own. Wanna use stock radio for now. I would rather not remove door panels. Is it possible to catch the wires at the side pillar were front seatbelts are mounted? If so what color wires should I look for? I know others have done it but searches dont give me the "whole" answer.
    Thanks

Yep, its posible to get the wires at the side pillars... Be carefull, they are the same colors as the powerwindows. Don't ask how I know this. I look around I have the colors you need...
    I bought a 500sqft garage and a house comes with it...

I spliced in right where the wires go into the rear door speakers.. took the door panel off. The crappy part was fishing the wire through the rubber acordian hose that protects the wires when you have the door open.. that was a PITA

then I just ran the wires under the carpet, under the rear seats and into the trunk to the amp.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You guys make this way too hard.

take off the radio, splice into the rear speaker output. The left rear is red/black - white/red, and the right side is red/white - blue/yellow. Order of wires is +, -. Removing the radio is a lot easier than fishing wires, removing panels, and you only need a phillips screwdirver and a crimper. The RCA cable is easily run under the carpet to where your amp is. let me know how it works out.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.