Looking for the best speaker for WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking for the best speaker for WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just got an Alpine CDA 7998 head unit install with in my WRX with a JL Audio 5 channel ...

AXA

Looking for the best speaker for WRX

I just got an Alpine CDA 7998 head unit install with in my WRX with a JL Audio 5 channel 500 W amp.
    I need good speaker to put in, at the moment I have the MB quarts but the cheap ones.
    With the stock head unit and old set the cheap MB quarts were ok but know I need speakers that I car really take advantage of my new set up.
    I donít know if to go with better MB quarts or tray another brand????????????????????? I want something that has excellent sound quality at any volume level.

Jose Savinon
    WRX
    95 Supra Greddy T-88H

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sound quality is subjective as people tend to have different preferences. Try listening to JL's XR series, CDT HD series, or Focals Poly-K or Utopia series. Those are all better alternatives to MB Quarts IMHO.

AXA

AAA

Here are the selections

1)JL Audio XR650CX 6.5 inch Coaxials
    2)Focal 690 CV

Wich one ???????
    WRX
    95 Supra Greddy T-88H

AXA

A

What about

MB QUART QM218.61Q
    or
    MB QUART "Q" SERIES QSD 216
    Last edited by AXA; 03-16-2003 at 08:35 PM.
    WRX
    95 Supra Greddy T-88H

I have a set of Focal access 165 components in my front doors, I tried fitting a set of the polykevlars, but after two days and 5 different spacers I came to the conclusion that they will not fit. I also have a set of the Focal polyglass 100cv 4" in the rear and a jl 250/1 on a jl12w3v2 with a alpine v12 amp on the components. Overall I am very pleased with the overall sound, I just really wish I could have got the polykevlars to fit.
    03 WRB sedan

what can one expect to pay for these speakers? just looking for a general range.... i'd love to upgrade my speakers, as long as its not a huge expense, and i really dont know much about audio... thanks in advance
    o-|-<) bryan

p.s. I might have a contact on Infiniti Basslinks... would anyone be interested in that? And at what price would you be interested?

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Axa: MB Quart QSD 216's are about $1300 a pair. I know, I sell them. Also, you are looking at what seems to be totally different brands/types of speakers.

MB Quart is a bright sounding speaker
    JL Audio is a huge mid-range speaker
    Focal is a nice mix in between. (The French actually did something right)

If you want good sound quality, do NOT run coaxials. Waste of money for fronts. For the rears, fine, fronts, no.

Wrinkleboi: Infinity Basslinks are crap. Not worth the cash. I would rather have a JL Audio stealthbox. Basslinks tend to resonate a lot and their enclosures arent efficient whatsoever.

-Tim
    '03 Sonic Yellow WRX
    A'Pexi | Sprint | GReddy

I would also recommend going with components since you already have the amp to power them.

A good set of components will run ~$200-300. Coaxials can be had for <$100.

Originally posted by wrxtsy

Wrinkleboi: Infinity Basslinks are crap. Not worth the cash. I would rather have a JL Audio stealthbox. Basslinks tend to resonate a lot and their enclosures arent efficient whatsoever.
    Is there a WRX specific stealthbox? How much?

I have a Basslink. While I don't expect to win any sound-offs anytime soon, I think it's worth the $200 I paid for it. It takes up very little space and I wasn't willing to pay the difference for a sub/amp/box set-up.

AXA

MB QUART QM218.61Q

I just got install in my WRX MB QUART QM218.61Q

I got them for $350......
    WRX
    95 Supra Greddy T-88H

There is not a JL stealthbox out yet for the wrx. As far as the prices for a good set of components can be had for $200~350. At the shop I work at we sell the focal access components like I have for $250~300
    03 WRB sedan

Can i be the first to suggest the diamond audio Hex series. One of the best car speakers I've heard. At around $330 they are deffinately better than my Boston Pros i had previously. If you can find a dealer I suggest you give them a listen, I'm very happy with mine.-James

I have to agree. The Diamond Hex series are fantastic speakers. I dunno where you are getting the $330 from, usually these guys are $600 from an authorized dealer.

I've decided to go with some MB Quart Q series.

-Tim
    '03 Sonic Yellow WRX
    A'Pexi | Sprint | GReddy

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau....asp?sku=11755 I'm pretty sure they are not a authorized dealer but they do offer a 1 year warranty. -James

It doesn't seem like anyone is even considering the Infinity Kappa 60.5 Components I have.

They fit easily with a spacer (available from Circuit City for $15) or a home-made one.

They good sound for the $$$ imo. I got my pair from etronics for about $175 shipped.

I realize that these are not quite at the competition level of the others mentioned, but they aren't as pricey either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.