Speakers - What Works?

This is a discussion on Speakers - What Works? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; OK.. I think this might be funny... I went to Circuit City today to get a new TV.. so I ...

Speakers - What Works?

OK.. I think this might be funny... I went to Circuit City today to get a new TV.. so I wandered over to the Car Audio section and asked about getting some upgradeed speakers for my car. They don't have anything newer than a 99 Impreza in their computer so he says pull it around back, we'll take a look. So I did....

He looks for about 5 seconds... then says... it won't do any good... you have to go with component speakers and an AMP or new head unit... huh? All I want is to upgrade the crappy stock speakers.. he says it won't make much of a difference, the stock head unit doesn't put out enough power to drive anything else..... uhhhhh.. OK... so I'm getting the idea this guy doesn't want to sell me speakers today... I close the door and go away...

So now... I come to my fellow WRXers and ask... WHAT WORKS?

All I want is to upgrade the stock speakers to something with a little more definition.. better highs, so a 2 or 3 way speaker. I don't want to spend a ton of money... was looking at the $69 to 89 a pair range. I have the factory sub.. it's not great, but OK for what I need.

What brand and model speakers are people using and enjoying.. and do I need to order an adapter too?

Damn, I talk a lot.... look how long this post is to ask a stupid question?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I spent $100 on the front pair and $40 on the rear. Pioneer and Polk respectively. Of course, I have the upgraded sound system which means my car came with the adapter brackets for fitting deeper speakers. You'll need to get those unless you buy shallow speakers.
    You can upgrade the speakers easily while keeping the stock head unit. Just pick up any decent pair (your price range will cover very good speakers) of 6 1/2s for the front and 4s for the rear.
    I bought my things from crutchfield.com. The only problem with their system is that you cannot select front speakers with the "what fits my car" finder. They only allow 4" rears.
    Without the spacers you can fit, I believe, 1.6" deep front speakers...with the brackets you can fit up to 2.7".

Originally posted by cyrilgrey
    . You'll need to get those unless you buy shallow speakers.
    What speakers are those? Im also looking to upgrade my speakers, but I want plug and play, I dont want to have to make something or buy something extra. I know spacers are a no brainer, but im a lazy mofo

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wes

I just bought these from Car toys and all they'll need is a spacer to sound great. I also have an Infinity powered sub in my trunk. (200 watts RMS baby)

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showd...roduct_ID=1055

FYI: Your stock stereo puts about ~8watts RMS so any speakers that have a somewhat shallow mounting depth and take between 2 and 30 watts RMS would make a good replacement for the stockers using the stock headunit.

6 1/2" for the fronts

4" or 5 1/4" for the rear

With the spacers.. I don't want to make a cheesy one on my own.... are these only available from the dealer or is there aftermarket ones available.

And I'm assuming when you have installed better speakers to the stock head unit, you noticed a vast improvment in sound, right?

Originally posted by kawshon
    What speakers are those? Im also looking to upgrade my speakers, but I want plug and play, I dont want to have to make something or buy something extra. I know spacers are a no brainer, but im a lazy mofo

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wes
    I didn't look into them but I believe all shallow mount speakers, or most, are actually marked with an S in their name.
    You can also check the measured depth of the speaker and make sure if falls under 1.7"

Originally posted by Racenut3.0
    With the spacers.. I don't want to make a cheesy one on my own.... are these only available from the dealer or is there aftermarket ones available.

And I'm assuming when you have installed better speakers to the stock head unit, you noticed a vast improvment in sound, right?
    I think you should be able to order a pair from subaru, your dealer, or probably on the web somewhere.

I'll let you know how the speakers sound when I turn them on. I spent most of the day working on the car in freezing cold with high winds and just gave up once I got the wires into the trunk.

Originally posted by Racenut3.0
    spacers: I don't want to make a cheesy one on my own.... are these only available from the dealer or is there aftermarket ones available.

Any stereo shop should be able to make a set of spacers for you or I think there was a guy on Nasioc.com who was selling them.

Aftermarket speakers + stock headunit = a world of difference. You'll understand once you see the crappy stock speakers that were in there.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxinthehouse
    Any stereo shop should be able to make a set of spacers for you or I think there was a guy on Nasioc.com who was selling them.

Aftermarket speakers + stock headunit = a world of difference. You'll understand once you see the crappy stock speakers that were in there.
    I'm an installer at a Circuit City, CO and I've worked for Best Buy, Sound Advice and a couple other shops across the country. And let me tell you, there are ALOT of subarus in colorado!

The imprezza hasn't changed a whole lot when it comes to the audio. With most speakers, you'll need spacers. The spacers are usually about 12-15 bucks for a pair, are usually 1/2" - 1", and just about any place that does installation sells them. You should be ok with the 1" ones, because they let you put a beefier speaker in the door. Most speaker manufacturers make some kind of shallow mount speaker, when depth is an issue. I did 4 speakers in an '05 wrx wagon the other day and the spacers for the fronts are part of the speakers, so you have to get some when you replace the fronts. The rears didn't have spacers.

The biggest bang for your buck in car audio is usually replacing the stock speakers. Aftermarket speakers usually have a higher sensativity (plays louder with the same amount of power), are better suited for the car environment (usually some kind of non paper cone and rubber surround handles temp and humidity better than paper and foam) and have a better frequency response (lows, mids, and highs).

But in the end, let your ear be the judge. If you can't hear the difference between a $100 pair of speakers and a pair of $50 speakers, don't pay the difference.

T. Paul

Holy return fromt he dead thread Batman!

This was over 2 years old

Oh yeah.. I made my own spacers, they turned out fine and it sounds way mo better, even though the idiot at Circuit City didn't want to sell me the speakers because he claimed they wouldn't make any difference unless I changed out the OEM deck..