double din head unit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on double din head unit within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have a '04 sti and want a cheaper double din head unit. I would like to spend a max ...

double din head unit

I have a '04 sti and want a cheaper double din head unit. I would like to spend a max of about $700... would like to go cheaper, but I plan to keep the car for a while so willing to spend a lil more. I have looked at some on ebay and found a few different clarions and kenwoods that are in the price range I am looking for. I am a little clueless on hu...

Can you use the dvds while driving? (for my son not me...)

I would like to eventually have a small amp and one 10" sub, is there something I would want in a head unit to make that work better?

Please share any experiences with models you like or dislike....good ebay sellers you know of...

I appreciate any advice...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I were you I would look into getting the kenwood double din. I dont know which one you are looking at but they have one thats touchscreen, reads dvd/cd/mp3, and has dual zone control. Its got 3 preouts which is enough to run a 4-channel and 2-channel amps. Its right around that price range and looks great.

The only other one you might want to look into is the Pioneer Avic-N3. Its a double din, its got everything but its a lil bit more like around the $900-$1k range but you get navi with it! plus its got a great EQ to run amps. And that unit is bluetooth ready, which is something you might want to invest in.

Now, you can watch dvds while ur driving but it is against the law and you really shouldnt do it because its VERY distracting. Even if its for the passenger.

GoodLuck on your search!

The only other one you might want to look into is the Pioneer Avic-N3. Its a double din, its got everything but its a lil bit more like around the $900-$1k range but you get navi with it! plus its got a great EQ to run amps. And that unit is bluetooth ready, which is something you might want to invest in.
    its the pioneer avic-z3 you're talking about, and thats what i recommend. i just got one off e-bay for 720$ shipped brand new and couldn't be happier. dvd/navi/ipod interface is amazing. it is not bluetooth ready as the previous guy stated, thats an extra $180...
    Now, you can watch dvds while ur driving but it is against the law and you really shouldnt do it because its VERY distracting. Even if its for the passenger.
    and the e-brake must be up to watch dvds....unless you rewire it to bypass the e-brake wire(which is fairly easy on the z3).......

I Support ClubWRX
    There is an avic z2 and z1... no z3
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

d3

Banned
    I have a Clarion 650maxvd. Very nice ~650 or less
    <<<<<<<

I got my Avic D3 for $730 off ebay. After the Ipod wire and harness...it was more like $760 total. I installed it myself in about an hour and a half. The DVD bypass is easy as hell and work flawlessly and the Navigation is really easy to use and works like a charm. The headunit integrates with the Ipod seamlessly and I use that nonstop. Its also very easy to run an amp and such off it for a subwoofer. It even makes the stock speakers sound much better...

Personally, get the Pioneer Avic D3...worth every penny because you get the Nav to go with it...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thank you for all the advice... Navigation is not really important to me if I can find something cheaper with out it. I will probably end up spending about $700 - 750, going to stay away from the $1000. Please share any other experiences or reviews... I will probably make a purchase later this week, I will let you all know what I end up with. thanks again.

I found plenty of Avic D3's on ebay for $720+25s&h. might be a winner...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm gonna shell the extra 250 for the avic z1
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

i also have the clarion max675-vd....no complaints, solid unit, cheap! also nav is separate so if you want it later you can always buy it....plus the 7" screen is nice compared to the 6.5" and 6" screens

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    a factory refurbished z1 costs $1350 on ebay.........

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    Z1's price went up because when the Z2 came out, the DVD bypass for it is virtually impossible unless you are good with a soldering iron...so the Z1s are becoming more in demand...

Not worth it in my opinion for either...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    keep looking.... all of them but that ad are like 900- 1000
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

does the pioneer have a HD for the NAV data? Or do you have to have the nav DVD in it to be able use the nav?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast