Stereo upgrade for a TR

This is a discussion on Stereo upgrade for a TR within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; so i got the 07 WRX TR.. Since im still breakin the engine in, and i feel a strong need ...

Stereo upgrade for a TR

so i got the 07 WRX TR..

Since im still breakin the engine in, and i feel a strong need to modify my car.. I want to install a decent sound system tweeters, deck, sub ( not trying for the anything big, im thinkin like a JL audio W7 10 or something, something worthwhile but not competition bass.. etc ) .. has anyone else messed around or got quotes for what it'd cost for a whole system?( im also not sure if i got 6" speakers to replace the stocks, if htey would have to cut or rearange, so that has to be considered as well) ...im kinda jsut rambling on.
    And also, i was wondering would it be better to switch from the stock battery to a red top or yellow top.. ( i forgot waht the name of the battry was but its made for sound systems. if you know sound systems you know waht im talkin about)

i feel that im a little too absent minded to make anymore sense than that at this point. its 1:30
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the TR!!

i really don't know about the sound setup but I am sure other people will have some useful information for you

Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    so i got the 07 WRX TR..

Since im still breakin the engine in, and i feel a strong need to modify my car.. I want to install a decent sound system tweeters, deck, sub ( not trying for the anything big, im thinkin like a JL audio W7 10 or something, something worthwhile but not competition bass.. etc ) .. has anyone else messed around or got quotes for what it'd cost for a whole system?( im also not sure if i got 6" speakers to replace the stocks, if htey would have to cut or rearange, so that has to be considered as well) ...im kinda jsut rambling on.
    And also, i was wondering would it be better to switch from the stock battery to a red top or yellow top.. ( i forgot waht the name of the battry was but its made for sound systems. if you know sound systems you know waht im talkin about)

i feel that im a little too absent minded to make anymore sense than that at this point. its 1:30

Congrats...you're not looking for anything big, but you want a JL W7

Thats a GREAT choice in subs though...one of those sounds like you have 2 12"s in your trunk...

You can expect to pay about $500-$600 for the sub...$500+ on an amp that can push it (you never want to under power a good sub like that, otherwise you will blow it...) A good head unit will cost you between $200-$400 pending on what you want...again you don't want to go cheap here if you want quality. If you want a DVD system W/O Nav, you will pay at least $600...with Nav, you are looking $900+ for the Headunit alone...speaker sets will cost you between $50-$150 pending on quality/brand. If you want to power those separately from the HU, a 4-channel amp will be necessary and could cost another $300+ for something decent.

Front speakers can fit 6.5" speakers and the rears can fit 5.25" speakers...

The front HU can fit a double-Din sized HU, or an in-dash flatscreen perfectly...

As for batteries, I doubt you would need one as the charging system in the WRX is pretty good. But the ones you are thinking of are Optima Yellow or Red tops, which are very good batteries but can run around $120...

If you have any other questions, let me know...I'm a bit of an audiophile and happen to know some things about car audio

and BTW...Welcome!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Congrats...you're not looking for anything big, but you want a JL W7
    my car before my TR was an infiniti with 3 kappa perfect 12's DVC's

so a JL w7 10 is .. smaller

but thanks for the info.. time to go check out crutchfield..
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284

Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    my car before my TR was an infiniti with 3 kappa perfect 12's DVC's

so a JL w7 10 is .. smaller

but thanks for the info.. time to go check out crutchfield..
    HAHAHA...well done!!!!

I LOVE bass...I can't wait to drop subs back into my STi...every car I have, I end up putting my two Alpine Type R 12's...usually powered with an MRV 1507 amp...now I have those subs, with a Planet Audio 1200w Max amp...

I might just go one sub as to save trunk space, and so I don't rattle the living hell outta the car cause it sure does rattle enough, haha.

Hey I actually do suggest the ebay route though because you can save serious money so long as you use sellers that are reputable...I always go with Ebay for my audio needs
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

nice setup

Check out this speaker enclosure@audiointegrations .wrx 12 in Perfect fit enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by mudmilitia View Post
    Check out this speaker enclosure@audiointegrations .wrx 12 in Perfect fit enclosure
    I have seen those a few times in the past. They do look awesome...but I can't justify spending 300+ for the box alone when I just have a single 12" box already. I'd rather spend my money on performance mods and even an in-dash DVD unit...I will eventually upgrade to the AudioIntegrations box though...

Do the TR's have tweeters in the door? I noticed the grill marks next to the door handles, but when i was looking at best buy and did a car search for what size speakers i needed it made no mention about tweeters, just 6 1/2 speakers in the front.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Do the TR's have tweeters in the door? I noticed the grill marks next to the door handles, but when i was looking at best buy and did a car search for what size speakers i needed it made no mention about tweeters, just 6 1/2 speakers in the front.
    Unless your TR came with an upgraded sound system, you won't have tweeters or tweeter brackets inside the door. The grill is still present in the door card, but it's empty underneath. It's very easy to fabricate your own bracket for them though...

Oh alright, yeah if i got tweeters at best buy (i work there) i can have them install it, but would they order brackets for it or would they make their own? hmmm maybe i should ask them
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

ya

thats what I thought,300bucks towards performance parts. system can wait. box will work for now. just gotta anchor to trunk, so it doesn't slide around

Quote Originally Posted by mudmilitia View Post
    thats what I thought,300bucks towards performance parts. system can wait. box will work for now. just gotta anchor to trunk, so it doesn't slide around
    if your trunk mat ( is it matt or mat .. i dont care ) if its carpeteted.. all you need to do is jsut go get a **** load of velco.. the rough side.. and cover the whole bottom and staple gun the velcro to the box.. its less abrasive.. obvioulsy than screws and its clean!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284