Audio Upgrade Advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Audio Upgrade Advice within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi, I'm looking into a minor upgrade of the sound system in my '04 WRX, and I'm trying to figure ...

Audio Upgrade Advice

Hi, I'm looking into a minor upgrade of the sound system in my '04 WRX, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do for the value. I'm looking to spend up to about $500. One thing that is definite is dynamat for the doors, because the panel vibrations are driving me crazy as it is now.

My current setup (done by previous owner) is Rockford Fosgate FNX2614 6 1/2" components up front, FNX2514 5 1/4" components in rear, with the stock head unit. I think these speakers aren't too bad, but the sound quality sucks anyway. I think maybe it's because the stock head is crap? I've heard that the stock head doesn't push enough power for good speakers so changing just the speakers is a waste.

My problem here is that I like the way the stock head looks in the dash. I don't want a new head with a huge bezel around it, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a full size unit, since I want to put some money into better speakers and dynamat.

Am I right about good speakers with the stock head being a waste? Does anyone have good speakers like Infinity's or MB Quarts through the stock head and how does it sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I replaced my stock speakers almost as soon as I got the car in early 2003 with Sony's in the front and Polks in the rear. It sounded better then, but the rear right speaker blew out recently (due to too much distortion from my cranking the volume all the way up I believe.) I've just now replaced the head unit and it sounds even better. I've got an amp and a sealed subwoofer in the works and hopefully that will rock. Right now there just isn't enough bass. Also, I agree with you. The rattling in the doors drive me crazy!n Maybe I'll put dynamat in later.
    Last edited by section9; 03-05-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

I've been thinking maybe I'll leave the speakers that are in now, invest my money in a full size head (I don't like the way a normal size face looks with all that bare bezel around it) and I'll put some dynamat in. I think the speakers I have now are pretty decent, maybe they just don't get enough power from the stock head. I get too much high and low end, but not enough mids. A head with equalizer settings might help that out.

gk1
    Dynamat your doors! Get a decent deck and get 4x100 amp to drive those speakers.

I recently put in Pioneer REV series components all around, and was gonna drive them of the new Pioneer deck i put it. Sounded like complete A$$.

No sooner did i finish the installation, did i go and get an amp. Sounds way more awesome now. I dont care what anyone says, driving aftermarket speakers from any deck just sounds like crap. Not nearly enough power for anything.

In general, when it comes to sound quality, good speakers mean nothing without a good head unit. Installing nice speakers in a stock system will get you little gain, your new speakers are still producing the same low quality signal from the head unit. Now "low quality" is a relative term as of the last 5 years, manufacturers have really steped up the quality of stock sound systems. My advice (coming from an electrial engineer and audio buff) is to get a better head unit before the speakers. Also, new head unit should fix the low Mids that you hear now.

The stock speakers/head unit arent too bad in my 05 WRX. Howerver I do plan to get a double DIN style head unit and new speakers soon, mostly becuase thats one of the few things on my wish list that wont void the warranty.

In reguards to your worries about mounting a single DIN in the dash: Ive seen some great mounting kits for single DINs, ones that dont have that huge bezel.

I never had the problem with the rattling so dynamat was not needed for me. I just bought some infiniti reference 5 1/4" for all four doors and put my sony explode cd player in and it made a whole world of difference make sure you get tweeters or disconnect your stock ones. The stock head and speakers are crap so if you put nice speakers in with it you run the risk of blowing the speakers. Most speaker damage is from underpowering. You do this by cranking a weak low watt head unit up all the way on high watt expensive speakers. You can get the 5 1/4 in the rear doors by just screwing them into the metal just drill a pilot hole first. for the front I used 3/4 inch plastic I got at the hardware store and traced a cut out of my stock speakers then cut a hole in the middle screwed that into the stock holes and then the speaker into the spacer. you could do this for around 300 buck depending on how expensive of a head unit you want to buy. the main point is that for any real upgrade you are going to want to replace the speakers and head definately.

Another suggestion is to get a good amp that has some sound processing, such as the new Eclipse models, use your factory deck and the speakers you already have. The money you save after the amp and sound dampening can be saved towards a DD (double din-- i.e. no dash adapter needed) sized unit. There are some alternatives to Dynamat as well; Dynamat is great stuff but it is expensive and you can get identical products for much less money.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.