Best Aftermarket ipod-stereo for 2005 WRX

This is a discussion on Best Aftermarket ipod-stereo for 2005 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I just recently (Oct. 06) purchased a slightly used 2005 WRX Wagon. The car came with the 6 disc ...

Best Aftermarket ipod-stereo for 2005 WRX

So I just recently (Oct. 06) purchased a slightly used 2005 WRX Wagon. The car came with the 6 disc in dash CD player which works great, however I would like to replace this to be able to use my iPod directly w/ the stereo. I am currently using the Monster Cable FM Modulator which works great in the mountains of Colorado, however I get tons of static in Denver. I am trying to find the best stereo for the money that will still have a clean look of the factory stereo, have ipod capabilities, under $300, and have the option of adding a powered subwoofer. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A lot of people like the alpine ipod controls, I think almost every manufacturer out there has some sort of ipod adapter for their unit. I've heard complaints about the ease of use with eclipse units. Alpine has a direct cable (no external box to hide) that has a relatively low retail (30$), and sometimes they are included during advertised specials etc. Pioneer also has a direct plug in as well, (only on some units) and the deck itself has a retail of 180, so for under 300 you should easily be able to get a deck from a reputable brand i.e alpine pioneer kenwood etc, with ipod controls easily
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

Do you know if the Alpine decks allow you to control your ipod from the ipod itself or only from the deck? I think I would prefer to be able to have access to the ipod for faster song changing.

Also, I just took a look at your web page...I'm going to keep following the progress of the '05 WRX that you are working on. Very cool! Thanks so much!

I think I'm the last person on the planet without an ipod. I know the alpine piece does not allow you to manually access, not sure on the pio. People comment about how fast it is.
    heres a link to alpines site, I just randomly picked a deck, but it talks about the quick search function.
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDE-9881

Here's a link to more info on our build, we've been slacking on getting it up on our site.
    Audio Integrations Demo Car Build
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

I've got a Harman Kardon Drive+Play in my Car. It works great with my Pioneer HU.
    http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

look at this thread:

Alpine CDA-9857 W/ Ipod full speed

alpine CDA-9857 is what you want.

i wanted to keep the stock radio so i got a kit from JazzyEngineering.com that plugs into the stock CD to radio ribbon cable. Then it just hooks up easy, i posted about it here a while ago. that alpine is really tempting though.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i have/ use the alpine 9847 HU
    http://www.epinions.com/Alpine_CD_ca..._MP3_CDA_9847R

pics

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

the new alpines that will be out in early march, have a much better ipod intergration. they allow you to navigate through the music on your ipod much easier than the old ones do.
    i just picked up a 07 waggy and im going to wait till the new ones come out before i do a new deck.
    i have also heard that the new pioneer line has changed their ipod intergration also.

///Alpine
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

I have an Eclipse cd3000 with the ipod controller. I got the eclipse because of the sound quality of the unit and the preamp output levels - the system sounds great going through my McIntosh amps. The ipod controls are nice, but the system doesn't buffer enough to let you really zip through the tracks the way the touch wheel does. I wouldn't use anything larger than a Nano with it - you would spend all day searching for stuff unless you were very good about making playlists.

Kenwood DDX7015

I got this thinking I would use the touch screen to do all the ipod navigation. There was just too much head down time. Now I carry a list of all of my artists on the ipod and use the remote to select.

It is still a cool unit. DVD,NAV,A/V out (Xbox360).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenwood.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by boulder_suby View Post
    So I just recently (Oct. 06) purchased a slightly used 2005 WRX Wagon. The car came with the 6 disc in dash CD player which works great, however I would like to replace this to be able to use my iPod directly w/ the stereo. I am currently using the Monster Cable FM Modulator which works great in the mountains of Colorado, however I get tons of static in Denver. I am trying to find the best stereo for the money that will still have a clean look of the factory stereo, have ipod capabilities, under $300, and have the option of adding a powered subwoofer. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    Imo, you can just get any head unit you like, there are Aux inputs in the back of most and the control centers of flip outs, just get a rca cable that hooks into the headphone jack and has the red and white audio outputs. It sounds awsome and it like $6 at radio shack. Plus you could always buy a cigerette lighter charger if you want to charge your iPod at the same time. I did this in my eclipse and all my friends tell me how good it sounds, even my buddy with a Volvo says it sounds better than his.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pioneer DEH-P5900IB

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC