Favorite/best Speakers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Favorite/best Speakers? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by devilduck54 What size of W7 did you get and what amp are you going to be running ...

Quote Originally Posted by devilduck54 View Post
    What size of W7 did you get and what amp are you going to be running on it?
    Just bought a 12" W7 and im trying to decide what amp i want. Probably 500/1 but maybe 1000/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stainless steel sound system:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by twrx it View Post
    Okay I'm confused. I'm getting new speakers put in my car tomorrow (including an Eclipse DVD/Navi unit), and the guy at this shop I'm doing it through (which is quite reputable) told me my car has 5 1/4's up front and 4 in. speakers in the rear doors. I have an '06. Were they different in the older models? I'm just wanting to make sure I'm getting the right size speakers put in my car.

The other guy said they come with 5 and 4's. I took out the speakers and put in 6 1/2 and 5 1/4 in without any adapters. Ive also always been told that is the stock size. So im not sure what the true fact is...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartonater View Post
    The other guy said they come with 5 and 4's. I took out the speakers and put in 6 1/2 and 5 1/4 in without any adapters. Ive also always been told that is the stock size. So im not sure what the true fact is...
    Well, whatever the case may be, I'm sure my focals and eclipses will sound way better than the factory speakers, which I'm sure are those sizes I mentioned. My head unit is gonna be so killer, I'm gonna post up pics tomorrow after it gets installed.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just extremely excited.
    2006 WRB Impreza WRX TR
    -Cobb stg.2
    -Eclipse AVN 6600 In dash DVD/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Stainless steel sound system:

Been there, done that. The only thing better than one good sound system, is two good sound systems!

gk1
    on a side note, after dynamatting all my doors, my stereo obviously seems louder with the reduced road noise. But now my exhaust seems louder and more pronounced through the rpm band. As the previous poster stated its good to have two good sounds systems.

I have never dynamatted but have always wanted to. Im too cheap to pay a shop to do it. How hard is it to do?

gk1
    its not all that hard. Get a wallpaper seam roller from your nearest hardware store and a real sharp blade knife. I bought the dynamat extreme trunk kit, because its cheaper to get that than a couple of door kits. Remove the doors and carefully but quickly peal off the plastic liner on the door. Lay out a sheet of teh dynamat and cut to shape. the liner is slighty larger than the sheet of dynamat but thats ok because what you cut off of the template can be used to finish it off.

Be careful of the openings for the door locks. I had some of the dynamat bind on it and the door wouldnt unlock so i had to peal it off and make a hole. The first door took me about an hour and a half with the trial and error and stuff. After that i did the other front door in 30 minutes, and the back sin like 15 each. It will help if you get some extra door panel clips, the kind that have the little ridges as once you dynamat some of the existing pops wont seat anymore. Having done lots of speaker installs in the past, using the iaperformance rings made it so much easier.

Just be careful on your speaker choice, some have longer excursion than others and if yours happen to be in that cat, you may still have spacing problems with your door panels touching the cones. I just used an extra layer of dynamat next to the door pops nearest the speaker to make a little spacer, rather than trimming the door panel as others have suggested.

Make sure to get the little spade power connectors from the auto parts store so you can make your own adapters to the wierd littel connectors subie decided to use on the speaker connectors.

How about none at all?

Saves money..weight..may even get some $$ back.

But I also did it because you'd have to crank it to unsafe levels to overtake the exhaust/stripped interior.

But.. I did have some 6.5" pioneers in before I took them out and frankensteined them in my daily driver.. they were awesome. I highly recommend the company.

And dynomating is great.. really saves on road noise but also added about 40 lbs.. A friend from school did it because it was a daily driver on the highway... dead quiet on the road..it was relaxing.

gk1
    The amount of weight that dynamatting the doors adds isnt really that much. BUt what you get in return for it is very nice. Subaru made this car really damn noisey from the road noise which i hate. I love hearing the engine and exhaut, but road noise irritates to no end. So cutting down on that makes driving the car so much more fun because you can actually hear your radio/passengers that much better.

And I agree the Pioneer speaker are kick as no matter what anyone else says about them. I have probably went through >10K of pioneer equipment in my cars over the years, and have always loved them. Just dont get the cheap crappo models. You have to get the REV series kevlar coned components.

I was gonna skip the components in the back originally, but got such a good deal that i couldnt pass it up. I couldnt be happier with the sound. But what ever you do make sure you put in an amp, because any aftermarket component set with sound like complete garbage on a headunits power. I put in a 4x100 amp and have the gains in the middle, and at about 50% volume its too damn loud when not moving.

my .02

Add: He did the whole car.. took out front/back seats.. also did trunk/doors.

But yeah.. it's worth it if you want sound cancellation for in car clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartonater View Post
    Just bought a 12" W7 and im trying to decide what amp i want. Probably 500/1 but maybe 1000/1
    You will need a 1000/1 JL of course..i hope you dont need trunk space cuz ur box will be huge if you want to use the true potential
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by gk1 View Post
    The amount of weight that dynamatting the doors adds isnt really that much. BUt what you get in return for it is very nice. Subaru made this car really damn noisey from the road noise which i hate. I love hearing the engine and exhaut, but road noise irritates to no end. So cutting down on that makes driving the car so much more fun because you can actually hear your radio/passengers that much better.

And I agree the Pioneer speaker are kick as no matter what anyone else says about them. I have probably went through >10K of pioneer equipment in my cars over the years, and have always loved them. Just dont get the cheap crappo models. You have to get the REV series kevlar coned components.

I was gonna skip the components in the back originally, but got such a good deal that i couldnt pass it up. I couldnt be happier with the sound. But what ever you do make sure you put in an amp, because any aftermarket component set with sound like complete garbage on a headunits power. I put in a 4x100 amp and have the gains in the middle, and at about 50% volume its too damn loud when not moving.

my .02
    I was wondering what your thoughts were on which speakers to buy. I was looking between Pioneer TS-D161R, PIONEER TS-A641P, JL VR650-CSi. I was wondering which you thought were the best. The JL's im sure are nice but are quite pricey. How do they compare (on your opinion)?

gk1
    Having never used either of those 2 models of the pioneer, but i wouldnt recommend them as the tweeter stick out a little. They might sound ok in the back where you previously had no seperate tweeter, but up front it wouldnt sound good. I thought about originally just doing a coaxial inthe back but the guy i bought my stuff from gave me a sweet deal that i had to buy them.

The stock tweeter sucks ass pretty bad, and once i put in the new one from the tsc160R which went in nicely, it sounded so sweet its not even describable. I have always preferred a material cone tweeter over the titanium domed ones, and The pioneers will not fail you, they sounds awesome.

I liken the REV series to the MB quarts, very bright, but not brassy, but they must be driven just like any other component/non-oem speaker. The stock headunit, or aftermarket headunits can not deliver the power necessary.

I have not heard the JL speakers in the car so i wouldnt want to comment on them, but i am sure that they would sound amazing, as they always have in any other car i have heard them in, just very pricey.

If it were me and i had to do it again, i would pop for the tsc160R's up front, and do one of the others in the back as it doesnt really matter thay much, unless you have people ride in back.

Just remember you need appropriate power for the upgrades, and nothing less then about 50-75 rms will really bring any of these speakers you mentioned to life. I have a 4x100 amp with gains at the mid level, and when i crank my deh9800bt up to about 30 it sounds great, 35 and your ears will ring.

I find that with the dynamat i can drive the car any listen to music at about 15 on the deck, which is pretty low.

Now i listen to rock, and things similar, not so much the rap music, but occasionly i do stop on the rap/rnb channels on sirius, and they sound pretty good. I am getting ready to make my own fiberglass enclosure for one of the new pioneer premier subs that are barely 3 inchs deep, and only require about .75 cu of space. for a 12 inch.

Thanks for all the info. Of course like anyone, i would prefer to save money if i can help it. So buying the pioneers is fine by me! I have a 300 watt 4 channel amp so it should do alright. I wont need any sort of bass from the speakers but its always nice to know you have a decent speaker! Thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast