Custom Tr. Stereo Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Custom Tr. Stereo Question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have an '06 TR, and I was going to put a new system in it. I have an alpine ...

Custom Tr. Stereo Question

I have an '06 TR, and I was going to put a new system in it. I have an alpine headunit with the fullspeed ipod hookup. I was going to go replace the 4 speakers. Anyone have an opinion on the best size to go with? In addition, I was going to get wedge box's and put 6"x9" speakers behind the rear seats by the rear windshield. I planned on adding an amp and want to know if the 6x9s need to be on a different frequency than the other speakers? Would I need a 3-channel amp for this or what? Any suggestions on ways to go with this would be appreciated!
    '06 wrx wr-blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, the TR does not have good acoustics, so i wouldn't go through the work of cutting holes for 6x9's behind the seat... its a lot of work to make it look good. And putting wedge boxes back there? That would probably look like death! I redid the entire stereo system in my TR, and along with the alpine head unit, i replaced all four speakers. The front doors can handle 6.5 in component speakers ( 6.5 in midrange and bass speakers and a 1in tweeter), while the back door can hold a 5 1/4in multi-element speaker (low, mid, and high). You would definitely want an amp for these speakers, but you don't NEED it. Probably a 4 channel amp, about 50 - 75 watts rms for each channel. You will need to run two sets of RCA cables from the head unit to the amp ( one for front speakers, one for rear speakers). Then, from the amp, run wires to all four speakers. Yes, its a ton of work, but its worth it. I started a thread here, in which i did bsically the same thing. Ill post it below.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

i just did a stereo install on my 04 STi. the fronts are 6.5 inch and the backs are 5.25(for the backs you are gonna want to make sure you get a shallow mounting speaker, as there is not much room). I suggest useing these mounting brackets, they will allow for a slightly deeper speaker, and will match up with the factory screw holes. I urge you not to put 6x9 behind the seats, it will look tacky, and won't sound any better. If you want more sound i would go put an amplifier on the other speakers and forget about the 6x9's. If you are intent on putting the 6x9's back there then you will have to run them off a seperate 2 channel amp, or use them instead of the speakers in the back doors. DO NOT run them in parallel with your back speakers, this will drop the drop the ohm's and increase the overall resistance, which will blow the amp in your head unit.
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch
    Turboback Exhaust + Up-Pipe
    Stage 2 Ecu Reflash @ 18 psi

Speaker Install / Door panel removal 2006 wrx
    Guide on removing panels and installing speakers ( plus a link to my cardomain with pics)

Bangin' stereo for 06 wrx!
    My thread on the install
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Thanks Nocturnal...i know you helped me with my head unit a lot with your stuff. LilJohn that was pretty helpful, I was unsure about that. I was gonna get the 6x9s for some mid/bass. But I guess, I could run the 4 speakers off my alpine headunit, and then just do like an alpine type-r sub. I just want like a premium sounding system. My friend has a G35 and the stock bose system in that thing is really nice. I just want similar volume to that. However, I am pretty young so money does become an issue. But thank you so much for your help, it's great having people answer stuff like this.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

sound quality and loudness don't always go hand and hand. depending on how much you want to spend i would try to get some component speakers up front, the infinity kappa's are really nice for this but are kinda expensive. Rockferd Fosgate makes some that are a little cheaper. now if you are looking for volume then you probably want more bass, meaning a subwoofer and amplifier. i know someone makes a sub box that fits in the spare tire well in WRX's. as far as brand, i have no recommendation on these. the only useful information i can give is that if you are planning on installing the amp/subwoofer yourself. make sure you do not run the power cable near any sensor wires near the engine, this will result in poor signal quality as well as interfer with the sensors signal. your also gonna want to spring for the upgraded RCA cables like monster cable
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch

Yea, liljohn pretty much nailed it. Infinity speakers really are the best, and while they are ex*****ve, they are definately worth it. Basically, avoid anything Sony, their stuff pretty much sucks... theres a reason why there line on amps is called EXPLODE But, as for getting a subwoofer, they have cutom enclosures in the wheel space, the sides of the trunk, or you could always do a setup like i did, but its a lot fo time. And +1 with the RCA's... try to keep them isolated from any other signal wires, or you'll get interferene. Also, when powering the amplifier (either sub amp, speaker amp, or both) Run a positive AND NEGATIVE wire to the battery. If you ground the amp to the car chasis, you will get "alternator whine", and you will hear your car accelerate in your speakers!!!
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Yeah, I've been looking at front and rear infinity speakers. They are about 100 bucks a pair? And I figure a good sub/amp combo is like 400?
    '06 wrx wr-blue

yeah you could do pretty good for 400. i would get a crossover also, alot of amps come with a basic cross over built in but external crossovers generally are more configurable and sound cleaner.
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by LilJohn View Post
    yeah you could do pretty good for 400. i would get a crossover also, alot of amps come with a basic cross over built in but external crossovers generally are more configurable and sound cleaner.
    What about a capacitor? And will the stock battery handle all this alright?
    '06 wrx wr-blue

IS not the battery as much as teh alternator. The wrx has a 100watt alternator ( i believe), which is pretty high for a regular car, so it isnt a real problem. Depending on how pwerful your sub is, you might want to get a cap. Capacitors are actually good for the car and alternator, as they hold a charge, and won't put an extra stain on the alteernator when power is needed. It'll also kip your lights from dimming. It isn't vital, but a good thing to have. I have a 1.5 farrad capaciotr, but you'd be fine with a 1 farrad.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1 View Post
    What about a capacitor? And will the stock battery handle all this alright?
    you should do fine without a cap. if it gets to the point where your lights are blinking and fading, i would actualy get an optima battery instead of a capacitor. the upgraded battery will help out your entire car, like if you decided to upgrade the ignition system, and has higher capacitance.
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch

I have my amp grounded to the mounting bolts of my passenger seat and i dont get any alternator whine...

I have CDT Audio Classic 6.5" components in the front doors with crossovers mounted in the door, amped by an Infinity Reference 7521a 97W 2 channel amp. Stock speakers in the back doors powered by my Kenwood deck. I'd say the hardest part about installing speakers is feeding wires through to the doors.

I'm interested in replacing the back speakers too, as i dont want to blow them, but would it make much of a difference when they aren't amped? I don't plan on putting another amp in except for maybe eventually a sub amp, but im not crazy about bass so thats at the bottom of the project list...

I'm curious, why do you say the TR doesn't have good acoustics? Is there a difference between the TR, WRX and STi? Is it just because of the road noise (which gets drowned out )? My set up sounds great.
    Last edited by Lithoss; 12-10-2006 at 08:36 AM.

With alternator whine, it's kinda luck of the draw.. some of my frineds have it, some don't.

If you don't plan on amplifying the back speakers, then don't replace them. However, if i was you, i owuld lose the infinity amp (because it isn that good), get a four channel amp, get new back speakers, and power all four off of them amp.

The Tr acoustics are no different then the wrx or sti, i just ment that the setup of the speakers in the car is not optimal for proper sound propagation. My setup is great two, just the position of the speakers aiming at your feet doesnt allow them to work at their true potential, nto that its really all that bad or anything.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    With alternator whine, it's kinda luck of the draw.. some of my frineds have it, some don't.

If you don't plan on amplifying the back speakers, then don't replace them. However, if i was you, i owuld lose the infinity amp (because it isn that good), get a four channel amp, get new back speakers, and power all four off of them amp.

The Tr acoustics are no different then the wrx or sti, i just ment that the setup of the speakers in the car is not optimal for proper sound propagation. My setup is great two, just the position of the speakers aiming at your feet doesnt allow them to work at their true potential, nto that its really all that bad or anything.
    I've heard nothing but good things about my infinity amp, its actually the second one I've had. I had one in my '98 jetta TDI with almost the exact same setup and it sounded great in there too.

What brand of 4 channel amp would you recommend?

I see what you mean about speaker location. personally, i hate speakers in the rear doors. I miss my rear deck speakers in the jetta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast