Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo but kept the Factory CD Changer Headunit?

This is a discussion on Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo but kept the Factory CD Changer Headunit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi, I just picked up a 2004 WRX not too long ago, and the first thing I'm going to do ...

Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo but kept the Factory CD Changer Headunit?

Hi, I just picked up a 2004 WRX not too long ago, and the first thing I'm going to do is install a new stereo system. I'm getting Infiniti 2-ways and putting in the Kicker Solo Baric I had in my old car. My question is, has anyone installed a speaker/sub system but KEPT the 6-CD changer head unit? Double DINs are rare and expensive, and frankly I like the factory green interior. Nothing I want to pay for is much better than a front load 6-CD changer anyway. But will it have enough power to make my upgraded system sound good? Thanks, John

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jblaze View Post
    Hi, I just picked up a 2004 WRX not too long ago, and the first thing I'm going to do is install a new stereo system. I'm getting Infiniti 2-ways and putting in the Kicker Solo Baric I had in my old car. My question is, has anyone installed a speaker/sub system but KEPT the 6-CD changer head unit? Double DINs are rare and expensive, and frankly I like the factory green interior. Nothing I want to pay for is much better than a front load 6-CD changer anyway. But will it have enough power to make my upgraded system sound good? Thanks, John
    +1 On this, Id like to know as well.

If it helps my older brother bought a Grand Cherokee and bought this thing (ill have to ask him) that tapped into wiring and gave you preouts and adjustment to power a component style system (using an amp and speakers/tweeters) all while retainig the Grand Cerokee's Inifinity Head Unit.
    Resist...Defy...
    VF34 Powered, D i r e c t o r~ o f ~P r o c u r e m e n t ~ f o r ~t h e~B u g E y e d~M a f i a

No head unit has enough power to power aftermarket speakers effectively. I don't care what anyone says or what the box says. It's a night and day difference with an amp. You can buy line level splitters that will tap into your speaker wire and give you RCA outs. That is your best bet if you want to keep the stock head unit.

FWIW, you'd be better off spending the money on a set of infinity component speakers. The 04 already has a set up for separate tweeters and woofers so you might as well take advantage of it. Use the 2 ways for the rear doors. This is all, of course, if you decide to get an amp.

Without an amp, the stock head unit will drive about 14watts to the speakers. The 2 ways you plan on getting will average anywhere from 35-70 watts rms. That solobaric wants at least 150 rms for decent sound. An amp is going to be needed for the sub at least. You could get by without one for the door speakers but plan on getting down the road.

Also, I have a head unit that I'll sell you for 100 if you decide you want to upgrade one. Retailed for about 400 new and it's about 3 years old. PM me if you want more info.

-Nate

I install 12V electronics for work; I started my wrx project a while back and the first stage consisted of swapping out the CD changer. Even with the stock speakers, the difference in sound quality was amazing. Putting in a new head unit will probably open up new realms of audio quality because of higher signal to noise ratios, and lower THD. If considering the aftermarket system, I would have to really push you to swap the CD changer out. Check out alpines head units that are AI-net compatible; it offers a very nice system for incorporating disk changers, IPods, AUX inputs, and also will give you three preamp outputs for amplifiers. Also, something I've learned from installing and listening to several systems; go for a polypropelene cone, it's light, and extremely stiff. I'd be more than happy to asist in any way I can, just drop me a line. I hope this helps.

-gws-wrx-

i added a sub to my car my car and all u need is an RF adapter from best buy and u can run ur rca cables from that. only thing u need to do will be tap into a power source so it will send the signals while the stereo is on.

I kept my stock head unit, while having aftermarket speakers juiced up by an amp. It's a day and night difference and I'm enjoying every beat and sound of it!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!