Speaker question

This is a discussion on Speaker question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok Guys, Iím new so I'm sure itís been asked a few times before! I'd like to replace the stock ...

Smile Speaker question

Ok Guys, Iím new so I'm sure itís been asked a few times before! I'd like to replace the stock speakers in my 07 WRX Limited non STI car! I keep seeing two different sizes for both the front and rear speakers! What are the correct sizes for the front door and back door? And also what about the tweeterís, what size are they?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pop the door panels off and measure the speakers. Taking the door panels off is very quick and simple. Plus, you'll have to take them off to replace the speakers anyway, so ractice can't hurt.

Follow along in my how-to: Click here
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

if you have a "premium" sound system. each door will have 2 speakers in it. the main speaker (the bigger one) and a tweeter. otherwise you will only have ONE speaker in each door (the bigger-sized one).
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Wow, that was a great how-too! I was also looking at the Polk speakers for my car the db6500 for the front and the db400 for the rear door! I wish you where in Connecticut, hell I'd pay you to do the install on mine! Did you change the head unit or add any amps in your speaker upgrade! I have two Fosgate Amps and I think I might leave the stock head unit alone. Thanks alot

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    my headunit is the Pioneer AVIC D2 (search under my username for the thread)

im planning on a 4 chanel amp and Polk MOMOs all the way around in the future....

yeah.ha ha...id be totally down to help you on installs....i love working on audio stuff!!!!!!!
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

Quote Originally Posted by 07LimitedWRX
    Wow, that was a great how-too! I was also looking at the Polk speakers for my car the db6500 for the front and the db400 for the rear door! I wish you where in Connecticut, hell I'd pay you to do the install on mine! Did you change the head unit or add any amps in your speaker upgrade! I have two Fosgate Amps and I think I might leave the stock head unit alone. Thanks alot
    I'm moving next week and I still have three nearly full sheets of MDF if anyone is interested in coming to get it. MDF is cheap though, so probably not worth the gas money unless you're close.

I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P550MP head unit that I bought new in 2001 and has been in three or four cars. I didn't do any external amps and the Polks sound pretty good. Definitely better than the stock speakers. The head unit works pretty hard and gets warm at higher volume levels trying to push these speakers as opposed to the stock speakers. I designed the speakers spacer templates in AutoCAD and they came out pretty nicely.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    The head unit works pretty hard and gets warm at higher volume levels trying to push these speakers as opposed to the stock speakers.
    Why is that? Are the Polks a different impedance from the stockers?

07LimitedWRX : Once u know your stock speaker sizes, f&r, just go listen to different speakers at an audio store so u can choose which ones u like best. I actually had my 6 1/2in components custom installed in the rear doors as they are smaller than the front speakers as u already know so that CAN be an option for u if u have a trustworthy installation shop doing ur dirty work. Keep in mind that these are often powered by amplifiers in the store that will make them sound very good obviously and w/out throwing an amp at them, any speaker will sound different/weaker running on just deck power alone.Also, an aftermarket deck is most likely going to throw more power at ur speakers than ur stock deck (depending on ur choice of deck). Either way, replacing the speakers will definately upgade ur sound package in ur WRX. That being said, I've never heard the upgraded "premium" stereo pckg though.