Your Input Needed on This Setup!

This is a discussion on Your Input Needed on This Setup! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I went to the nearest car audio shop today, talked some BS with the guy down there, and this ...

Your Input Needed on This Setup!

So I went to the nearest car audio shop today, talked some BS with the guy down there, and this is what he told me to get for the STi. I told him I wanted a more SQ sounding system, not so much SPL. Let me know what you think, any input welcome!

Already have the Pioneer D2 nav system Headunit

Front Componets - MB Quart RUA 216 @ $219.95

Rear Coaxials - DKE 213 - Cant find link...@129.95

Memphis 2500 Amp - No link again - @ 259.95

Alpine Type R 10" @ 179.95

Custom STi/WRX Qlogic box, mounts flush to the rear seat bracket @ 219.95

Like I said, up for suggestions, I don't/can't keep up with all the new stuff! I realize the prices are a bit high, so if anyone knows where I can get this & installed for a better price, lemme know!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Increase your flexibility with brands and use almost only ebay if you can, you'll save hundreds. I happened to pass a car audio shop the other day and decided to walk in and see what I was interested in. I was looking at a set of Boston Acoustics S series speakers and they had them listed for around 600 I think. I did some listening then left, then he pulled out the gem about them being discontinued soon (its all BS, don't trust salesmen) and he could do them for 400. I did some research and was able to pick up a set in perfect condition for 160 shipped. Likewise with my alpine amp. Certain parts can only come from certain manufacturers such as speaker spacers (I recommend IA Performance) and sound deadening materials- use either dynamat or damplifier pro. Also are you planning on using stock wiring?
    Last edited by Doc Dub E; 09-06-2006 at 06:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had good luck with the quarts - been through two sets in vehicles and have a set of bookshelfs at home. They are good stuff, almost on par with B&W.

ikesound.com is a great place to buy audio equipment cheap! you could get that same subwoofer for a $100.00 Cheaper!
    Hope that helps.

I work 4 a car stereo shop - don't buy from ebay - NONE of the manfactures endorse ebay - no warranty thru them - its "Joe Nobody" trying 2 fix ur unit - if u do have a problem - What kind of music do u listen 2? - I just put in Focal 165VSlims in my fronts & 130VSlims in the back - Best spkrs I ever owned - its not even their hi end - its their polyglass series - check them out www.focal-america.com - sound quality this is it - blow mb quarts out of the water - I'd even consider doing there subs - they do make amps - very very high end w/ the price 2 match them - Alpine PDX amps are really nice but it depends on $ amount your trying 2 spend - if your interested on a deal - I have a old Alpine 5 Channel (MRD-F752) 75 x 4 & 250 x 1 @ 4 ohms - I had an old set of Focals & a single 12" Kicker CVR12" in a ported box - the spkrs went w/ my Civic before I bought my WRX - I sell u the amp, box & sub $500.00 (Shipped)

hmm interesting ideas. thanks guys - i havent even LOOKED at the subys wiring or anything, what gauge is it? should it be replaced?

i listen to a little bit of everything. alt, rock, top40 ****, country, rap, r&b, acoustic, vocal..yeah. Mainly looking to get up to a high volume with good quality in response...not so much trunk rattling bass , just quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMotor
    hmm interesting ideas. thanks guys - i havent even LOOKED at the subys wiring or anything, what gauge is it? should it be replaced?

i listen to a little bit of everything. alt, rock, top40 ****, country, rap, r&b, acoustic, vocal..yeah. Mainly looking to get up to a high volume with good quality in response...not so much trunk rattling bass , just quality.
    I'd go with something like THIS from Audio integrations, I have a 12" version with a diamond woofer and couldn't be more pleased, plus they are vendors here under the cockpit and cabin section. I had phg 16 ga. ran into the doors, can I tell a difference?? Probably not, but it comes down to less conections, which I think is more reliable

I have a shop more oriented towards quality than anything. I've been a dealer of very high end brands for many many years... A/D/S, Helix, Brax.... that type stuff. If you've heard of them, you know what i mean. $4000 amps, $3500 speakers... yea, stuff like that. I just recently brought on JL audio. I used to consider them OK... but these new components, and "slash" series amps, and there custom subs... well, they blow my mind. $370 components that i'd take over other brands in the $1000 range. $480 components that are near my favorite component speaker i've ever heard. They go loud, they stay clear... just pure exact music reproduction. Subs, amps, and speakers... They are smoking something good this past year with all there german made speakers.

Oh, and dont forget... If your Source(radio) sounds like crap, everything will...

Just have never heard anything pioneer that met what i consider to be quality sound. I do understand there NAV units are user friendly and decent to operate, which is a big plus! Unfortunately, doesn't make up for the sound.... Just voicing my opinion, im not bashing your pioneer. even though taking a sledge to a deck every now and then is kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeetHole
    Oh, and dont forget... If your Source(radio) sounds like crap, everything will...

Just have never heard anything pioneer that met what i consider to be quality sound. I do understand there NAV units are user friendly and decent to operate, which is a big plus! Unfortunately, doesn't make up for the sound.... Just voicing my opinion, im not bashing your pioneer. even though taking a sledge to a deck every now and then is kinda fun.
    lol thanks for your input. tried to go install my components yesterday and decided im gonna go get it done somewhere. i dont have the tools or space right now to install these things . what would you reccomend for a HU that has all the features of my d1, but is SIRIUS ready, not xm, and also has good sq?

Well it's hard to find a NAV deck with good sound. But the best i've ever heard would be eclipse. All the features of your D1, but much better sounding. It's no Nakamichi or Blaupunkt when it comes to sound, but it's up there. Nakamichi has a awesome single DIN TV deck coming out in the future, i've seen it at CES, but i dont know when it's being released, or if it has a NAV option. I am the only Nakamichi dealer in the USA as far as i know, and it's a hassle for me to get anything from them, but i do it. All I can say is wait and see if it's released. www.nakamichi.com There decks dont look like much, but they are the best sounding in the world. Other than that, like i said, an Eclipse!

Forgot to mention the model is an IN-DV7, but like I said. No idea if they are going to offer a NAV addon for this thing when they actually release it.