Pioneer AVIC D2 Install/review with pics!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pioneer AVIC D2 Install/review with pics! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; so i installed my D2 today and it was a pain. its a tight fit and some of the wires ...

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar

Pioneer AVIC D2 Install/review with pics!

so i installed my D2 today and it was a pain. its a tight fit and some of the wires that i needed to tap into such as the reverse light switch and the speed sensor were the hardest ones and kept me thinking. i pretty much has the whole interior apart.

*for those who are going to do the DVD nav based install* the Speed Sensor Wire is in the instument cluster (10pin green/black wire) and the Reverse light signal is in the passenger side kick panel (wire loom with 2 brown/yellow wire youll only need to tap 1 of them)

i also did the Bypass lockout mod. which enables me to play video (if hooked up) or access the full navi menu without being at a complete stop.

*find yourself a spare pioneer harness (i was lucky because my previous HU was a pioneer) take a precision screwdriver and knock one of the pins out, next take that pin and insert it into the D2 harness in the empty slot below the harness and the other end into a ground, you also have to take the parking brake sense wire and tap it into the ground. and viola! it always sees the parking brake on and you have bypassed the lock. this has been tested and comfirimed to work with Pioneer D1 and D2 systems ONLY

other than the cluster **** of wires it was a a smooth install and im very happy with the D2! its an amazing Navi system with tons of features. some that i can recall right now are

PROS:
    -Vehicle Dynamic Gauges( slope,accel g, lateral g, voltometer,clock,compass)
    -MP3,WMA capabilitys with the ability to recall playlists from MP3 cd's
    -great 6.5" screen doesnt fade out in sun,
    -Fast GPS reception/connection, i believe up to 12 satellites
    -has a learning ability(the more you travel the more precice it gets)
    -the provided dvds have a ton of POI's (points of interest) and info

CONS
    -loud fan
    -kinda hard to input new destinations (im getting used to it)
    - no 3d view(well, i cant find it)

thats pretty much it! im very happy with the system and i would reccomend it to anyone!!

oh and this was done on a 2005 wrx sedan (so i can help anyone with installs)

also curutchfield has a special going on http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tpUBdT3...sp?offerid=995

and heres my referal code pu760-qsqsa-egf23 you get 20 bucks and i get 20 bucks! its a win win! he he he he
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0009.JPG   DSCF0010.JPG   DSCF0013.JPG  
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey quick question, how did you take out the centre consule im changing my headunit but i mamaged to take out the gearstick area and the bottom clips, im just scared that if i pull harder the plastic will break.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brujito
    hey quick question, how did you take out the centre consule im changing my headunit but i mamaged to take out the gearstick area and the bottom clips, im just scared that if i pull harder the plastic will break.

thanks
    yeah, you just have to pull it with some finesse. itll come out. pull 1 side at a time.
    2006 Aspen White STi

cheers!! yeah got it... the install on your look good!

good info, i recall people saying it would work without the vss, just not quite as accurate is this true?
    oops

wow look at this offer:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5H6ftHc...sp?offerid=995

$600 value!

congrats, i have the same setup, its a fantastic unit...you just gotta add the xbox with dvds, games and movies on it now

Quote Originally Posted by djerickd
    wow look at this offer:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5H6ftHc...sp?offerid=995

$600 value!
    yeah thats pretty much the deal that made me buy the D2! he he he...

i gave the s1 to my parents though.....
    2006 Aspen White STi

yeah even though crutchfield sells that unit more than most, the free portable makes it worth it. i may get one and give the extra to my wife
    oops

Is the S1 a decent portable navi?

yeah the S1 is pretty decent. its kinda hard to get used to. but once you do your fine, i love the bluetooth function.

i gave the S1 to my parents and they havent complained about it yet.....
    2006 Aspen White STi

I'm thinking about upgrading my car audio, i got an 06' limited so it already has the upgraded OEM speakers and tweeters. I was looking at the D2, with your experience with the install would hooking an ipod and running it underneath to the center console be doable/look funky?

I'm thinking about getting a audio integrations 12" enclosure, a JL Audio 500 watt amp(Please recommend a better amp if you know of one) and either getting the D2 or just saying screw it and getting a Alpine CDA and a DIMM to stick the ipod in.

Any suggestions would help.

P.S. I dont know anything about the D2 as a navigational system, what can you tell me? i was looking at it more for video and audio playback.

the ipod hook up is doable. however its going to be a tight fit so you should be creative

the d2 is pretty much a navi system only natively, you can watch dvds attach more monitors etc... but you have to have a seprate dvd player to watch movies,

if your looking for movies and what not, check out the Z1 its a lot more expensive but it might suit you better.

as for car audio/sounds. what kind of music do you listen to? and if you decide to switch out your speakers your gonna need this! http://www.iaperformance.com/product...c60efc82e02d96
    2006 Aspen White STi

well you seem like you know your stuff(I Dont) about car audio. I installed a deck in my old car but thats it. I basically want a nice sound system, i listen to all different kinds of music, i basically want decent sound with some bump. I doubt ill be replacing any speakers.

I like the look of screens like in the D2, but i doubt i would be using all of its functions. Maybe you can recommend something cheaper or more up my alley. I really want something that is good for hooking up an ipod, thats a huge deal. Also looking for a sub(probably going to go with Audio Integrations cause i really like the look) and an amp of some sort, the guy at tweeter recommended a JL 500watt.

What would you do?

i listen to a lot of Rock/metal/indie/and emo stuff.

if you just want something to hook up your IPOD id definatley reccommed either a Pioneer HU in the 200dollar range, or some sort of Alpine or Clarion HU, most of them now have IPOD hookups.

for the pioneer IPOD hookup youll need a seperate module that goes for around 70bucks that allows you to control your ipod thoough the controls on the HU same thing with similar brands

as for subs/amps i do not have any of those hooked up in my car but i do have expierence setting them up and toying with them. if you need help on EQing them just ask me. ( i also do live sound at my job so it helps he he)

From what i hear JL audio is a really reputable co. so is Polk Audio (esp. thier MOMO series) and the Higher end Pioneer stuff (Rev series) i cant think of any more on the top of my head. but if you need anything dont hesitate to ask!
    2006 Aspen White STi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.