Pioneer AVIC D2 Install/review with pics! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pioneer AVIC D2 Install/review with pics! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just ordered the D2 from crutchfield. And in planning my install I had a couple questions. -where did you ...

Couple Questions

I just ordered the D2 from crutchfield. And in planning my install I had a couple questions.

-where did you place the gps receiver?
    -where did you tap into the speed sensor wire from?
    -where did you tap into the reverse lights from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*for those who are going to do the DVD nav based install* the Speed Sensor Wire is in the instument cluster (10pin green/black wire) and the Reverse light signal is in the passenger side kick panel (wire loom with 2 brown/yellow wire youll only need to tap 1 of them)

mount the sensor where pioneer recommends
    oops

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sajid753
    I just ordered the D2 from crutchfield. And in planning my install I had a couple questions.

-where did you place the gps receiver?
    -where did you tap into the speed sensor wire from?
    -where did you tap into the reverse lights from?
    i mounted the GPS reciever above the Rear View Mirror with some velcro, i ran the line on the headboard, throgh the passager side A-piller, and down to underneath the carpet running where the ECU is and up into the D2.

I tapped the Speed Sensor Wire at the Instrument Cluster. (refer to the original post)

and the Reverse Lights (again, refer to orignal post)

mount the sensor where pioneer recommends
    pioneer was unlclear on tapping the speed sensor on a WRX. so i called Crutchfields customer service and thats what they said. works fine for me.
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

how hard was it getting to the back of the instrument cluster? can you give me instructions? thanks...

easy as pie, undo the two screws on the top of the surround and it will pull out, then there are 3 philips screw, 1 on top and 2 on the bottom that hold the cluster in, remove those and pull out the cluster. it may take some finesse but it will wiggle out, once you can get behind it undo the clips on either side, then you can twist and get the middle clip out, its real easy.
    oops

Thanks!

one more thing, about the lockout bypass, according to what you wrote, i shouldnt connect the parking brake sensor to the actual parking brake wire (as per pioneers instructions), but rather connect the pink wire to ground? Also, the other wire that you mentioned about grounding, im not sure where its plugging into on the back of the d2. Plus i dont have another spare harness to pulll the wire from, any other ideas?

Thanks!

one more thing, about the lockout bypass, according to what you wrote, i shouldnt connect the parking brake sensor to the actual parking brake wire (as per pioneers instructions), but rather connect the pink wire to ground?

i believe thats right.

Also, the other wire that you mentioned about grounding, im not sure where its plugging into on the back of the d2. Plus i dont have another spare harness to pulll the wire from, any other ideas?
    there sure be an empty spot in your harness, put it in that space.. if you dont have an extra harness, steal one from something you are not using, such as amp turn on, or cell phone mute
    oops

Thanks!

one more thing, about the lockout bypass, according to what you wrote, i shouldnt connect the parking brake sensor to the actual parking brake wire (as per pioneers instructions), but rather connect the pink wire to ground? Also, the other wire that you mentioned about grounding, im not sure where its plugging into on the back of the d2. Plus i dont have another spare harness to pulll the wire from, any other ideas?
    the pink wire is your speed senor wire do not ground that!

the green wire/parking brake wire ground that.
    you can use the cell phone mute wire (should be Yellow) and place that in the empty slot on the harness. and ground that
    2006 Aspen White STi

[QUOTE=TheFugitiveMind]the pink wire is your speed senor wire do not ground that!

oops. i just read the first part,,, ground the ebrake and the new pin you add, connect the backup and vss as normal
    oops

hey i did the install last night. couple things..

1. the parking brake wire. I grounded it instead of hooking it up to the actual parking brake, but i didnt do the other thing you mentioned because the only open slot in the harness was the one under the ground and i wasnt sure if thats where it was supposed to go. And now when i boot up the system it says the parking brake lead is hooked up incorrectly

2. the antenna. I hooked up the external antenna, but what abuot the blue wire for the auto antenna? Am I supposed to hook that up too? Because right now im getting very choppy reception, especially when im in motion

3. the speed sensor wire. I hooked it up to the green/black wire in the instrument cluster. There are 3 clips on the cluster and the green/black wire was on the one on the far left. I wouldve assumed it would be on the middle one (that is closest to the speedo). I have an '05 Limited Edition. I tried getting the vehicle dynamics but it says unable to display speedo. Does that mean i hooked it up to the wrong wire?

Thanks for all your help so far..

hey i did the install last night. couple things..

1. the parking brake wire. I grounded it instead of hooking it up to the actual parking brake, but i didnt do the other thing you mentioned because the only open slot in the harness was the one under the ground and i wasnt sure if thats where it was supposed to go. And now when i boot up the system it says the parking brake lead is hooked up incorrectly

2. the antenna. I hooked up the external antenna, but what abuot the blue wire for the auto antenna? Am I supposed to hook that up too? Because right now im getting very choppy reception, especially when im in motion

3. the speed sensor wire. I hooked it up to the green/black wire in the instrument cluster. There are 3 clips on the cluster and the green/black wire was on the one on the far left. I wouldve assumed it would be on the middle one (that is closest to the speedo). I have an '05 Limited Edition. I tried getting the vehicle dynamics but it says unable to display speedo. Does that mean i hooked it up to the wrong wire?

Thanks for all your help so far..

you need to hook up the blue wire (anteanna) that is the power for the internal anteannas that the wrx's have

yes there is only 1 slot in the harness underneath the ground. insert it there YOU NEED THAT CONNECTION FOR THE MOD TO WORK! otherwise you will get that error message

the speed senor wire is in the Harness with the 10 Pin Connector and its a Green/black wire. thats the only wire....how did you tap into it? did you use the tap splices? might have been a bad connection....
    2006 Aspen White STi

Question map and guide view grey out ?

*find yourself a spare pioneer harness (i was lucky because my previous HU was a pioneer) take a precision screwdriver and knock one of the pins out, next take that pin and insert it into the D2 harness in the empty slot below the harness and the other end into a ground, you also have to take the parking brake sense wire and tap it into the ground. and viola! it always sees the parking brake on and you have bypassed the lock. this has been tested and comfirimed to work with Pioneer D1 and D2 systems ONLY
    I installed my D1 like you described but i still get the warning screen that says my parking brake may be installed incorrectly. The main problem i experience is that i cannot switch to route or guide view when i am in route (in a route i have entered and the computer has calculated) . Does anyone else expereince this? when i push map- the other views are greyed out except map and vehicle performance (remember, i said they are greyed out when i am in route- pioneer said you have to be in route to someplace to switch to those views)

Anyone?

yeah i get that too.

the parking brake warning. means maybe a loose wire. i got that warining the first time and but i re-did the hack and i never seen it since
    2006 Aspen White STi

i have an 02 wrx wagon, are the din spots the same size on the 06 as the 02 cuz i've been wanting to get this but im not sure if it will fit, i have only seen it in 06's.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobySk8rBoy
    i have an 02 wrx wagon, are the din spots the same size on the 06 as the 02 cuz i've been wanting to get this but im not sure if it will fit, i have only seen it in 06's.

yes they are all double dins
    oops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast