speaker questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on speaker questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; hey guys. I just bought an 03 wrb wrx about 2 months ago... the thing that's been bothering me the ...

speaker questions

hey guys. I just bought an 03 wrb wrx about 2 months ago... the thing that's been bothering me the most is the audio. I want new speakers to see if that does the trick, as i don't want to replace the headunit if I don't need to.

I'm really disappointed with the bass in the car. I don't listen to rap or any really bassy music, but it still sucks. I don't like how most cars with subs sound, i don't like the thump.

What speakers would you guys recommend? I don't need to deafen myself, I just want better sound. Are there any that can replace the stock speakers without cutting or making spacers or will they sound worse? I've heard good things about infinity, boston acoustics, and alpine. What are some good speakers that sound ok powered by the stock headunit?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
    -Brandon
    03 wrb WRX
    Power- Cobb Stage 2 w/ TXS stealthback, 06 axleback, and 07 catless uppipe
    Handling- Eibach Springs, Perrin Rear Sway Bar, Perrin Rear Sway Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, STi strut bars
    Cosmetics- cf wing risers, pink "i" badge, yellow fogs, STI CF side markers, tints, tail lights,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can replace the speakers with stock sizes, but you're still likely to have to make or buy adapters/spacers because the magnets on aftermarket speakers are substantially larger than the tiny magnets on the stock speakers.

I have a Polk dB series speakers in my car (6.5" fronts, 5.25" rears) paired with a Pioneer Premier head unit that I've had in three different cars. Circuit city often has these speakers on sale. I got mine for buy one pair, get one 1/2 off by purchasing online then picking up at the store.

Here is my installation writeup: Click here
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Run from Polk Db like the wind.

I got my WRX with the premium speakers and powered sub (under passanger's seat). it wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that I didn't replace them in the 5 years I've had the car.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Infinity Basslink. Goes in the trunk, takes up very little space and has a dignified boost without rattling windows. Same price as the crappy under seat sub. Should be around $200 on the ebay or craigslist.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I went down to circuit city tonight to try to get a feel for how the different speakers sound. They had the polks, the eclipses, and kickers. The eclipses sounded the best to me, so I was planning on just getting them on ebay for like $10 rather than paying the $109 special on-sale price...

are the eclipse speakers crap, or are they ok? I was comparing with ****e speakers like sony and pioneer, after all. I looked on ebay, there are more expensive speakers like the infinity kappas... are they worth the extra $80?

The guys at circuit city told me I would need to get 6 1/2" for BOTH the front and back. Most of the info I've read about on here told me 6 1/2" in front and 5 1/4" in the back. Whats right?

Thanks for all the feedback
    -Brandon
    03 wrb WRX
    Power- Cobb Stage 2 w/ TXS stealthback, 06 axleback, and 07 catless uppipe
    Handling- Eibach Springs, Perrin Rear Sway Bar, Perrin Rear Sway Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, STi strut bars
    Cosmetics- cf wing risers, pink "i" badge, yellow fogs, STI CF side markers, tints, tail lights,

dont go to circut city. go to a real audio shop for your speakers they have better products and are more helpful any way.

the fron speakers can be 61/2 but you have to check the depth. the back speakers are the same thing the back speaker that are a direct fit are 4 1/2 but you can fit up to a 5 3/4 i think with out too much problem. dont change the speakers though untill you change the deck

Quote Originally Posted by cabbage
    dont change the speakers though untill you change the deck
    i'd say just the opposite, go ahead and change the speakers first as they're cheaper, then the deck later if needed. you can run aftermarket speakers on the stock deck but running the lowly stock speakers on a higher powered aftermarket deck might blow the speakers easy. most of the time the stock deck has enough performance for the weekend warrior audiophile who just wants a cleaner sound, most aftermarket decks have lots of options that most people don't need.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

its accually easier to change the deck first most dont put out enough power to blow stock speakers. most stock speakers are acctually pretty good especially the premium sound packages. the stock deck normally will not put out enough power to use the full potential of the stock or the aftermarket ones. you need the power first.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES1672
    The guys at circuit city told me I would need to get 6 1/2" for BOTH the front and back. Most of the info I've read about on here told me 6 1/2" in front and 5 1/4" in the back. Whats right?
    Don't listen to a word of advice from the Suckit City guys, or the Best Buy guys. Do your own research, then just go buy what you want. And whatever you do, don't let those guys install it for you. The vast majorty of the employees know Jack and $hit about the stuff in those stores, and Jack just left town. The most I ever ask the is where stuff is located in the store. If they ask if they can help me, I usually just say "probably not" and keep walking. The most entertaining thing however, is when they're feeding some unsuspecting customer some BS about something, and you can step in during or after them, and set the customer straight about things. Anyway, sorry about the hijack... back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Eclipse makes good speakers and incredible decks. Unfortunately they are getting what I call "bestbuyed"...meaning a elite high end product sacrifices quality and its overall reputation by making itself more available via the mass retail market.

This generally spells the end of the company or the end of what the product once was.

If you liked the eclipses, check out their website, look at all they have to offer and not whatever CC has to sell. (generally a mid to low end model)

It all boils down to your ear and moreso, what you want to spend.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/speaker/index.html#spe

Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    Eclipse makes good speakers and incredible decks. Unfortunately they are getting what I call "bestbuyed"...meaning a elite high end product sacrifices quality and its overall reputation by making itself more available via the mass retail market.

This generally spells the end of the company or the end of what the product once was.

If you liked the eclipses, check out their website, look at all they have to offer and not whatever CC has to sell. (generally a mid to low end model)

It all boils down to your ear and moreso, what you want to spend.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/speaker/index.html#spe
    Usually you can still find their high end stuff at the real audio shops, while the cheap stuff will be in BB/CC.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I thought the speakers were 5-1/4" in the front and 4" in the back?

try picking up a used subaru sub box, the one that goes under the pass seat, i have one and the bass is just enough
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.