My 05 WRX sedan is now going to become my shops "demo" car. Nothing too crazy like a lot of shops cars are, pretty straight forward. The cool thing is almost all the installation pieces I will be using in it will be made from fiberglass so it's lightweight, available for sale on our website, and will have a large selection of different materials and colors to choose from. All said and done a person could have a total custom looking install for a fraction of the price.
I thought this would be a good place to show the progress of the build up, as well as get feedback on some of the products we'll be developing along the way. We'll post pics as we move along so you can see some of the work in progress and hopefully use some of the ideas and techniques on your own system.
Here's the current idea and setup, some of it like the headunit and things may change when I actually get to that part, but for now its:
Headunit - Alpine? - Flush mount with Tein EDFC controller
Front Speakers- Diamond Audio S600s and S440s in the front doors (Hex 6,4,tweet) in custom door pods
Subwoofer - Diamond Audio D6 12D2 - In a Perfect Fit Enclosure
Amplifiers - Diamond Audio D6 300.4 - All channels running doors, no rear speakers and Diamond Audio D6 1000.1 - Running 1 ohm mono to the 12
Wire and Accessories - Phoenix Gold
Alarm - Clifford Avant Guard 5 Remote Start
Damping Materials - Cascade Audio Engineering
Pretty simple setup but it will sound amazing when done! We know you don't have to have a trunk full of audio gear to get great sound, it's all about using quality equipment and doing the extra steps on the installation. When all said and done that's what the car will be about.
We'll also be showing the other mods we do to the car as well. So I know none of you have seen a stock 05 WRX before, so here it is in all it's glory.
The Perfect Fit Enclosure may get swapped out for a custom color matched version in the future, but for now I'm going to be rockin' the carpet.
Here's a couple of shots of the sedan amp rack and the beginning of the mold. It will sit vertically behind the rear seats, mount with a couple of brackets, and have trim panels that trim it out to the car. We have to build up the mold nice and thick before we can even think about demolding it.
The original (in yellow) with flanges added for the mold process.
Tooling gel coat applied.
The first couple of layers of fiberglass mat laid down.
We added another 1/4 inch of mat to the first layers and let it cure. Then we added a flat piece of wood in the bottom and the frame up top to keep everything flat and straight. After a couple more layers of mat we will pull it all apart.
Here's the begining of the door pods. I will have a 6, 4, and tweet set up in my door but it will also work for just a 6 and tweet.
Next we'll add foam to the door panels and grind/sand them to get the desired shape as well as pull our amp rack mold apart.
Heres some pics of the amp racks progress. First we pulled it from the mold and began the task of wet sanding the mold. Theres still some work to do on the mold before we can pull good parts, but we pulled a quick part for developing brackets and flush trim. The outer flush part will be wrapped in the matching carpet, and the inner ring will be available in all the same materials as the Perfect Fit Enclosures.
Quick prototype part being made
Test fitting trim piece
All pieces with carpet and vinyl
**Update!!** 6/05 Door Pods
So here's a couple more of the door pods. I will be fitting a 6 and 4 in them but they can be used for just a 6 or a 6 and tweet.
Shaped and sanded with filler
The back side, shaped the same as the door panel
On the door
With grill template out
With filler primer shot
Next we'll sand the primer down and get it perfectly smooth and start to make the mold!
Here's a couple shots of the finished door pod. This is just one of the grills that may be offered, so different looks and styles will be available. We also have to re-work part of the mold to make them more installer friendly and a little easier to reproduce.
They're not the greatest pictures, have quite the yellow look to them. The vinyl we used was straight black and after cleaning them up on the door panel the black looks too dark. We got a charcoal color that we'll try next time for a closer to stock look.
The final product for sale may be a little bit different, it's going to take some time to get everything dialed in so it all comes together perfectly everytime.
We'll keep ya posted on the progress and any changes we make to em!
First day of summer, thought we'd do a quick update on other sections of the build up, we got our power and under hood wires ran, and upgraded all the factory ground and power wire also.
Plex battery cover
Wire run to back
No doors makes running wire easier :lol: