Audio Integrations Demo Car Build - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Audio Integrations Demo Car Build within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by Slide Man I wish they would come out with a dash kit that didnt look like crap. ...

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    Man I wish they would come out with a dash kit that didnt look like crap. Would it be so hard to come out in a color that matched, or better seams?

All these years and they still can't do it.
    Do you mean like a CF dash kit?
    If so, DaddySSCP makes a very high quality piece:
    http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...&cat=15&page=1
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    Man I wish they would come out with a dash kit that didnt look like crap. Would it be so hard to come out in a color that matched, or better seams?

All these years and they still can't do it.
    cornfused i be are you referring to our tein piece??
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a question about how you guys made the door pods....

How do you get that raised edge... I mean, you have the mounting surface for the speakers, but the glass/bondo is built up another inch or so above the level of that mounting surface. How do you do that? I see you have the grill templaate that slide in there, but how do you get it so that template slides out and you still have the edge raised above the speaker mounting surface?? I've seen it done before but never figured out a reasonable way to do it...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    I have a question about how you guys made the door pods....

How do you get that raised edge... I mean, you have the mounting surface for the speakers, but the glass/bondo is built up another inch or so above the level of that mounting surface. How do you do that? I see you have the grill templaate that slide in there, but how do you get it so that template slides out and you still have the edge raised above the speaker mounting surface?? I've seen it done before but never figured out a reasonable way to do it...
    You're on the right track we start out with baffle, then add another same size piece as the grill, but deeper, and then glass up to it. Sounds confusing I'm sure, look at these pics:

that shows the 1/2 template, we use that to make the new grill out of 1/4", and also used it to build the sides up.
    I think in writing this I've confused myself
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

I'm assuming you are going to cut through the door panel to mount the speakers to use the air volume of the door. Are you going to add screws to the door panel to hold it to the doorframe sheet metal? If you don't won't the door buzz like crazy since it is only held on with plastic clips for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    I'm assuming you are going to cut through the door panel to mount the speakers to use the air volume of the door. Are you going to add screws to the door panel to hold it to the doorframe sheet metal? If you don't won't the door buzz like crazy since it is only held on with plastic clips for the most part?
    I wouldn't. If the volume of the door is part of the speaker enclosure, it will rattle and vibrate a lot, even if screws are used to hold it tight. It will also color the music, as sheet metal and some plastics resonate with certain frequencies. The idea is to isolate the car panels from this, and using thick enclosures helps. It's the same idea as a trunk rattling really loudly every time that hood rat's subs hit a certain tone... That's volumetric pressure causing the vibrations because subs work by creating deep pressure pulses.. The mids and highs can do the same thing, but it can cause tonal resonance and those smooth, clear, crisp sounds can be muddied and distorted because they're being interpreted through the car's unibody.

A car with really good acoustics is one that has awesome sound dampening, because you don't want the panels to color the sounds, you only want to hear the speaker itself.
    Dave
    01 RS

If you're going to spend the money for a gorgeous pod like this I'm assuming you've done the basics like damping your doors. I have a pair of 6.5" Focal components in the doors that are being pushed by a 100W/ch Macintosh amp; there are no rattles.

My point in the prior post is twofold - first, that pod doesn't look anywhere deep enough to hold a 6.5" speaker with any kind of real magnet structure, second, the air volume of the pod is WAY too small for a 6.5"

Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    If you're going to spend the money for a gorgeous pod like this I'm assuming you've done the basics like damping your doors. I have a pair of 6.5" Focal components in the doors that are being pushed by a 100W/ch Macintosh amp; there are no rattles.

My point in the prior post is twofold - first, that pod doesn't look anywhere deep enough to hold a 6.5" speaker with any kind of real magnet structure, second, the air volume of the pod is WAY too small for a 6.5"
    ^^^ sounds like a nice setup.

For the pod, the door panel gets modded, the pod gets mounted to the panel, and then a couple screws into the sheet metal to hold the panel to the door. Right now since we've been doing so much r&d, we only have them attatched to the panel itself, and there's no rattles. We figure the extra screw to the sheet metal will keep everything snug when it comes time to be finished. The doors have also been sound deadend to the hilt, outer skin, then spray damping, then inner skin and spray damping, sounds like a benz.

Just had my 10" perfect fit enclosure installed in my 03 today. I must say I am really impressed with the quality and fit. Even the guys at the shop were impressed with the quality. Took about 10 minutes to put in and really cleaned up the trunk for me.
    Mods: VF34,TMIC, Up pipe, Dp, full catless, Ecutek, Stoptec brakes, DMS 40 coil overs, ALK, CUSCO subframe, Sparco seats, Exedy twin plate and more that I can't remember.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.