Installing Sirius antenna
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Installing Sirius antenna within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am going to install a sirius radio antenna in my wrx wagon. Does anyone have any ideas on how ...

Installing Sirius antenna

I am going to install a sirius radio antenna in my wrx wagon. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount this so the wire for the antenna does not have to pass thru where the window is going to close on it? It is one of the magnetic types that go on the roof. I was thinking that if there was enough length to the cord i could run back to the rear of the car and then mount it in the back of the car just behind the spoiler. Any ideas or better ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you can always drill your roof and mount it like a fin...they have those.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I just put mine inside the car in the front right corner of the dash.......then ran the wire around and underneath the dash to my reciever......it works perfect there and if your run the wire right it wont move around when your drive......and its hidden compared to putting it outside...mine blends in perfect with the dash......hope this helps
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Doesnt Mounting In The Dash Inside The Car Pretty Much Limit The Recievers Line Of View To The Satellites? It Says In The Manual To Not Install It In The Windshield But To Put It On The Roof. I Just Want The Reception To Be Good And Inside The Car I Am Iffy About. How Does That Work Out For You? Ie. Blind And Dropped Signal Etc?

I occasionally lose service under thick trees and long overpasses.....other than that it works fine.
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

I can say that when i had this on my explorer i had it on the outside and i never lost signal.....so it does affect it a little being on the inside....but not as much as you would think.....i just couldnt stick that ugly thing on the outside of my car....which is why i put it on the inside.....but it will work best on the outside....so if you dont mind it on the outside then i would put there.....as far as mounting it i would avoid drilling a hole in your roof....at the most you'll have to pierce a hole in the weather stripping.....
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

i have mounted on the roof and i still lose receptions under over passes and heavy trees....hell even sometimes when its really cloudy..but i still prefer it over fm radio

I have mine on the roof in the back of the car. I ran it inside the rain gaurd alongside the back windshield down into the trunk followed the water line for the intercooler sprayer...when i got to the dash i stuffed it inside the molding going up then shoved it inside the dash were the windsheild meets the dash...cant see any of it...

What we do at my work is pull up on the weather stripping, where the wire will pass, take a small round file and file a notch on the metal lip the stripping attaches to. Place a small piece of duct tape over the area you filed, getting the tape down into the notch. Place the wire in the notch and reapply your weather stripping.
    As far as location, outside is the best, but we have installed many on the inside with no problems. I currently have my XM antenna on my dash and its working fine. But plan on moving it to the trunk lid when I finalize my system.

I just installed one tonight. Took my all of about 15 minutes on my wagon. Magnetic mount and I put it just inboard of the roof rack rail, then down under the hatch and into the headliner to the front.

I did one on my mom's Saab - mounted it on the roof, routed the wire under the weatherstripping on the rear window, down into the trunk, then under the carpet all the way to the front, up behind the dash and then to the unit suctioned to the window.

Woulda probably been easier to do it through the headliner and down the A-pillar, now that I think of it...
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

On my last car I had it mounted on the dash it worked ok. Hardly ever lost reception.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

i know this is orginally for a wagon, but i have mine in the rear deck under the lining. all is hidden, but i do lose some reception under the overpass and tall trees. but this only happens when i drive below the speed limit. guess what i do to correct the problem
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

i went pretty mucht the same route as ronbang did with mine and have not lost reception once yet. the only time i did was when i pulled into my garage but that is to be expected. Never had any type of subscription radio but i am really loving sirius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast