Help choose ICE for EVA-00
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help choose ICE for EVA-00 within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; All right guys, I need help. I know about engine upgrades...I know about suspension upgrades...I know about body kits and ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Help choose ICE for EVA-00

All right guys, I need help. I know about engine upgrades...I know about suspension upgrades...I know about body kits and exterior...and everyone knows I know more than I probably should know about wheels...but what I really don't know much about is in-car entertainment. My old system needs an overhaul...it's 2 1/2 years old now:

Now, I don't know much about brands for one thing. I've had good experiences with Alpine and Eclipse, so I already have those in mind for headunits, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'm thinking of something double-din (although it doesn't need to be), with DVD and Navi (although Navi's not a requirement).

As far as speakers go, I'd like some good components in the doors, and either two 10s or one 12 in the trunk, with the corresponding amps/caps to supplement them. Basically, we're looking at building a system with show-winning quality parts. As far as the design of the trunk goes, that's still up in the air...I'm not even thinking about it right now. I just want to make sure I have good quality parts first.

Last things to keep in mind...I'm not looking to win decibel contests here. I care more about sound quality than trying to be as loud as physically possible. I listen to a wide range of music, which goes from deep bass rap to classical piano. Also, along with shows, this system is going to be featured in Subiesport too. That said, if you know anyone who would be willing to get mentioned in a magazine feature for helping put together this system or provide components, do let me know. Thanks in advance, everyone!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    In dash touch screen dvd/gps/etc. Yeh thats my advice, no clue about what brand.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Last things to keep in mind...I'm not looking to win decibel contests here. I care more about sound quality than trying to be as loud as physically possible.
    Sound quality is very subjective. My advice is to go listen to the types of music you enjoy live first. Become familiar with things like timbre, tonality, dynamics, and instrument placement in space on the sound stage. Then, go listen to very good home audio systems. Car systems cannot approach the quality of a good home system. The point of listening to home systems, then, is two-fold: 1. to get used to the fact that your very expensive car system won't sound nearly as good as a good home system, and 2. to identify brands that make products with a sound that you enjoy, and hope this quality is maintained in their car audio line.

A decent starting point for a quality audio system is McIntosh feeding Dynaudio loudspeakers, for example. I've heard such a system and it sounds quite good (relative to other car systems). An advantage of the Dynaudio stuff is that their sound IMO is carried across the line and the components are quite decent quality. Another brand with good and consistent quality is Focal (JMLab for home use or Focal for home use as kits, and Focal for car use).

Now, as to what constitutes good sound... Well, like I said opinions vary, but to me, a good component sounds like... absolutely nothing! A good component is transparent, and any errors it introduces offend as little as possible, that is, they are errors of omission rather than errors of addition.

Have fun shopping!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I just picked up the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and LOVE it! Double-din, touchscreen, Navi with seperate DVD-rom drive, CD, sat ready (both XM and Sirius), plays mp3/WMA/CDR/DVDr/etc. The only drawback for you would be that it is not a DVD player. You would have to have an outboard DVD player, but this thing has MORE than enough inputs! And as far as sound quality, the built-in equalizer is VERY customizable. There is a newer model, AVIC-D2, that is basically the same with a few updates.

Just my 2 cents. Here's a link the detail page on the Pioneer website of the AVIC-D2:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...585964,00.html

Happy shopping and can't wait to see her when she's done!
    Last edited by bbpuppet; 04-25-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    Russ - 2005 WRB Wagon
    Cobb Stage 2 and other stuff….

If you like your previous Alpine unit and you want a double-din touchscreen with DVD + mp3, go with:

Alpine IVA-W200 DVD/CD/MP3 Player W/6.5" LCD

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Alpin...LCD,__18569482

But, my personal preference is the Kenwood DDX6019 6.95" Display/DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Player ......the screen fills up the entire area and looks cleaner (OEM feel).

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Kenwo...yer,__17541317

Sorry, don't know too much about speakers......I'll leave that to the other members.
    But if it's Akina's downhill, he's good enough not to lose to anyone. -Bunta

Components, I'd have say Infinity Kappa Perfects or Boston Acoustics Pro series. Amp-wise I'm solid on JL audio and PPi's. Just remember you get what you pay for.

I've been having my Blaupunkt 7" screen with a DVD-ME player for about 2 years and it's been pretty much useless after the initial installation. It's nice having a DVD but it's been rarely used. It'd be much better to have screens on your headrests than in the front console.

BTW, that's a nice headunit your using. I love alpine decks but I got stuck with a Pioneer from my last car. It's hard finding space in the WRX to fit all this stuff and still have usable trunk space.
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    I honestly do not like crossing brands with Subs and Amps. I have a buddy that has a JL 500x1 with two 12 JL w6v2's and they hit so very hard it amazing.His two subs spanked 8 Memphis subs in a fiberglass box. I would not go with a fiberglass box either. Good for show, not so good with sound. I also am one that believes in ported boxes. Maybe I am just crazy though. But when it comes to head units I am clueless. Just my 2 cents. Happy Shopping!
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Remember guys, this is for shows...a DVD screen is a must, and I really don't feel comfortable putting screens in the backs of my Recaros

The trunk setup doesn't have to be fiberglassed, but it should definitely be show-quality. Just throwing in a ported box and securing it down isn't going to cut it
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.