New head unit or new speakers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New head unit or new speakers? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by Kush You don't need 50 watts all the time, but you do need it if you're planning ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    You don't need 50 watts all the time, but you do need it if you're planning on listening to anything but classical music.
    Wow. Sorry, but I was searching around and saw this, and couldn't help but respond.
    The volume range in use in some of Wagner's works is huge....the beginning of "Elsa's Processional to the Cathedral" is quiet and gentle; by the end of the piece it's at the level of an atomic bomb being detonated.

I guess if you automatically associate "classical music" with tinkly piano or the gentler Baroque works, then I could see where you might make such an assumption.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment, was just saying that you need the overhead for loud music. I was thinking more of the softer classical music, but if Classical fits into the loud category at times, then so be it
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment, was just saying that you need the overhead for loud music. I was thinking more of the softer classical music, but if Classical fits into the loud category at times, then so be it
    No offense taken; I can be a nitpicker sometimes....
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Thats a tough one. The factory head until only pushes out about 25 watts which is about half of what any aftermarket speaker really needs to sound decent. The stock speakers are made for the stock headunit and are only meant to take about 25 watts. So neither are going to sound very good while you still have stock components present. My choice would probably be speakers first because while you will be underpowering them for now (dont crank the stock stereo too loud or you could blow them).....its better than replacing the stock radio with a more powerful aftermarket and blowing the stock speakers to hell right away. That way you get more life out of your system until you can replace the radio also. Well thats my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyTC
    I truly appreciate all the information. It looks like I won't be happy though unless I do both the speakers and the head unit at the same time. I'll just have to wait and talk to some installers in my area and see what I have to spend to get what I want sound wise.

I did do some messing with the bass and treble controls on the stock unit and got it to sound pretty decent even at higher volumes. I mostly listen to hairband type music. Occasionally some country rock and blues thrown
    in.

I'll be sure to post and let you all know which direction I've decided to go in.

thanks again for all your help,
    KrustyTC

Since I have a WRX and work in the car stereo industry, I can help get you quotes on specific stuff you want to do. Let me know if I can help.

personally i would do the hu first simply because buying a good set of speakers and hooking them up to the stock hu would be like driving an sti that governs at 15mph
    ....even though you'll need and external amp for optimum performance from any set of good speakers

depth is a prob with these so find a shallow set of components for the front and a set of coaxials for the rear

if you drive a buggeye it has 5 1/4 in the front and 4 in the back (best buy is wrong!) but you can fit 6 1/2 in the front and 5 1/4 in the rear with some adaptors

I would go with speakers first. I bought an Alpine 9851 head unit and the factory speakers didn't sound any better with it.

I have an '03 and the factory front speakers are 5.25" and rear speakers are 4". I am upgrading to 6.5" Eclipse Coaxials in the front which require spacers that I ordered from iaperformance.com to allow for depth.

The rear doors have unlimited depth, but the diameter requires adapters or cutting. iaperformance.com also sells 5.25" adapters for those rear doors. I just tried installing Altec-Lansing 5" coaxials with spacer that I made from 1/4" MDF, but the tweeter on the speaker protrudes too much and the door panel will not go back on.

Also, the screw pattern for the fronts is 3-hole triangular (awkward), so that needs to be considered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12