Looking for other head unit suggestions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking for other head unit suggestions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hello, first of all I'm new to this forum. Picked up a 2016 STI about 3 and a half weeks ...

Looking for other head unit suggestions

Hello, first of all I'm new to this forum. Picked up a 2016 STI about 3 and a half weeks ago. Absolutely loving everything about this car aside for the pitiful Subaru head unit (standard 6inch one without Nav). I think this needs to be replaced and I noticed there were some very good looking ones with Android support in the $400 range.

I did some searching and found this and this as recommendations. I was wondering if there are any newer/better models that I haven't heard about in that price range?

Important features:
    -Must not eliminate reverse camera
    -Touch screen, at least 6 or 7 inches
    -Navigation
    -Great audio controls & stock USB support
    -Bluetooth
    -fits in dash/includes faceplate etc.
    -integration with steering wheel controls

Nice to have:
    -Push to talk/works with google's speech features
    -android mirroring/android auto or internal android based apps (google maps, waze, etc.)
    -customizable wallpapers/backgrounds/colors, etc

Does not need (if they are included that is fine, if i can remove or exclude them from installation, even better):
    -CD/DVD/Bluray, I never use any
    -XM/radio of any kind

Additionally, if it comes with all the parts so I can install myself that would be optimal; would prefer to spend more on the head unit than waste money on labor. But I think the most important thing is that it has some included hardware to install it into the dash. I don't want to hack away or cut, paint, DIY anything.
    Last edited by archon; 03-01-2017 at 03:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

also interested, is your first link the same as this youtube video unit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTkHpSZs3M

Edit: After further inspection, yeah it looks like that $200 one you linked is the same thing. I don't see options to add the additional cables needed to connect the USB & Rear view camera, however.

I swung by Best Buy earlier to check out some aftermarket units and they all look pretty ****ty. I think I might pick up the one you linked. $250 shipped is a pretty damn good price. Just need to pick up the other cables elsewhere.
    Last edited by archon; 03-01-2017 at 06:48 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That one from YouTube shows how to install as well. But seems like a lot of work that I wouldn't trust any place to do properly so I would have to install myself.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lkp730 View Post
    That one from YouTube shows how to install as well. But seems like a lot of work that I wouldn't trust any place to do properly so I would have to install myself.

If you get all the approprate harnesses it looks like it's all plug and play, so yeah I think it should be pretty easy to do solo. The site dorso linked doesn't have the harnesses from what I can tell but subispeed does.

Does the WRX and STI have the same dash? This one should work for both, yeah?

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/9-Qua...717191246.html
    Last edited by archon; 03-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Love that subispeed has a lot of resources and items on their website. Absolutely hate their customer service and shipping times. They take 2 to 3 days to ship out even though item is in stock and their customer service takes about 2 to 3 days to answer. You'd think they would be quicker to ship out but nope.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.