Subaru WRX Forum banner

'16 aftermarket hu install question

6K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  disiullusions 
#1 ·
I've tried searching on multiple forums for definitive answers, and this group seems to have the most information; so, hopefully someone can chime in. I'm looking to change out my hu to a Pioneer 8100NEX (leftover from my wreck), but I saw on another site that if I switch to an aftermarket hu, I'll lose the gauges on the MFD. Is this true? On another thread here, it seemed like I'd only miss out on the extra gauges the Maestro RR module provides. If that's the case, then it makes life much much easier.

Also, what are you guys using to retain the factory aux port? I saw someone say the AX-subsub will do the trick, but from the description it only looked like the USB function would be kept. Any input?

#2 ·
8100 doesnt support gauges with a maestro, only the 2016 NEX radios do, so 4200 and up to the 8200. (i work at idatalink )

the gauges work fine up the upper cluster, it doesnt affect that at all.

i have the following for parts:

AX-SUB28SWC for the 28 pin plug Axxess AX-SUB28SWC Steering Wheel Control Harness Install the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter in select 2015-up Subaru vehicles without splicing (requires item #120ASWC1, sold separately) at Crutchfield.com

70-1761 for the 10 pin and 6 pin Amazon.com: Metra 70-
1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics

AX-SUBUSB for the factory usb port and aux input Amazon.com: AXXESS AX-SUBUSB - USB-Auxilliary Retention Harness - SUBARU 4 PIN USB ADAPTOR: Car Electronics

40-LX11 for the antenna for Am/Fm Amazon.com: Metra 40-LX11 Antenna Adaptor Cable - Select 2009-Up Lexus/Toyota: Car Electronics

99-8907HG for kit for dash (single or double din capable) Amazon.com: Metra 99-8907HG Single DIN Dash Kit for Select 2015- Subaru Impreza and Crosstrek Vehicles (Black): Car Electronics

For steering wheel control you can use the Maestro SW and add a 6 volt converter for camera trigger, or use a Maestro RR with firmware to handle the camera trigger and SWC and supply gauges to a compatible radio

MAESTRO RR- Idatalink Maestro RR Ads MRR Radio Replacement Steering Wheel Interface | eBay
OR
MAESTRO SW- Idatalink Maestro SW Ads MSW Universal Steering Wheel Integration Module | eBay

Here is the list for doing it yourself, the only thing i dont have is the SAT antenna listed, i dont have a part number for that.
If you plan on using the 8100 then you would only really need the Maestro SW not the RR. The only thing the RR will give you extra is the reverse camera turn on which is 6 volt output.

amazon 6 volt part is like 9 dollars shipped and can be wired on the metra 28 pin harness

#5 · (Edited)
I just installed the 8100 into my car yesterday. Like phd12v said everything in the upper cluster works fine. I dont use the factory aux so I didnt look for anything to try and make that work but the one phd12v listed in his reply works great for the usb. It might work for the aux too but I dont know.

#8 ·
you can have to 22 functions with the SW, now with that said remember i am biased since i work for idata, of course i want you to use ours :) but if you get the metra 28 pin harness, it is prewired for the aswc.also has the RCAs for the aux in (not usb) from the center console ;)

#9 ·
It sounds like I'll upgrade to the RR once I get a newer headunit. With that being said, it sounds like the ASWC is the way to go for now. Especially if it has easy AUX retention. Also, if I'm understanding...between the harness and the AX-USBSUB, I'll retain both the AUX and USB, correct?

#10 ·
i wrote this on another forum this could help with wiring it up yourselves with the parts:

28 pin METRA harness:

Green/Violet wire on metra in pin 2 ----> REVERSE WIRE INPUT on new radio
Yellow wire on Metra in pin 11 ----> GRAY/YELLOW WIRE in 18 pin Maestro harness pin 14
Light green wire on metra in pin 15 -----> EBRAKE WIRE INPUT on new radio
Blue/Red wire on metra in pin 17 -----> VSS WIRE INPUT on new radio if applicable
Black wire on metra in pin 20 -----> GROUND WIRE on new radio harness
Green/Red wire on metra pin 21----> PURPLE/RED SW1 WIRE in Maestro 18 pin harness
Black/Green wire on Metra pin 22 ----> PINK/RED SW2 WIRE in Maestro 18 pin harness
Black wire on metra pin 23 (cut away from other black wires)----->BLACK/WHITE SW FEED wire in Maestro 18 pin harness

MAESTRO RR STAND ALONE WIRING:

Yellow on Maestro 3 pin ----------> YELLOW WIRE on new radio, same wire color in 1761 harness
Black on Maestro 3 pin -----------> BLACK WIRE on new radio, same wire color in 1761 harness
Gray/Red on Maestro 18 pin -----> RED WIRE on new radio, same wire color in 1761 harness

That is really all you need minus the 70-1761 which is just standard wiring colors for the radio harness, so match those up color to color.

#16 ·
Alright, one more dumb question. So I picked up the AX-CAM6V to make everything go smoothly; however, I must have eaten some paint chips, because I'm insanely confused on what wire goes where. Where in the hell do I attach the 12v reverse wire? Do I just use the 12v source I'm using for the harness? Or does it go to the reverse wire coming from the headunit? Argh.

#18 ·
Just want to do one final post to close this out. The AX-SUBUSB2 worked perfectly. After many, many, calls with AXXESS, which included changing out the harness, changing out to a newer unit, flashing it over and over, and many different wiring setups, absolutely nothing worked. So, I gave up and bought a Maestro SW instead. Flashing the module took longer than actually installing it (a problem with Win10, apparently). After it was in, it worked like a charm on the first try, and hasn't given me any issues. I'd recommend going with the SW over the ASWC-1 any day of the week. What should have been a 20 minute project, took two weeks of trial and error. Save yourself the headache.

#20 ·
i think it might have to do with that i used my 16 wrx to do all the measurements for the 16-17 wrx platform.... the SW and RR measurement were made with mine and the firmware took about 2 days to make. they have been solid performers for sure. i honestly only know of 1 car that the sw is having an issue in, and i havent been able to figure out why. only 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.