Anyone have problems with lights after stereo install?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone have problems with lights after stereo install? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just had 4 speakers, head unit, and 2 subs installed in my 2007 wrx limited, now my headlights have ...

Anyone have problems with lights after stereo install?

I just had 4 speakers, head unit, and 2 subs installed in my 2007 wrx limited, now my headlights have a flicker or don't turn on sometimes. Any ideas on what might going on with them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would check your car fuse panel see if any are burnt. Check the power wire fuse for your amp to.
    It's most likely a short in the wiring harness. If you had them installed professionally I would call them tell them what is happening.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Are the flickering or struggling to turn on all the time? Or are they kinda of flickering/dimming when the volume is high?

If the latter, that usually means the system is pulling too much power from the battery, either the wire gauge is wrong or your alternator can't handle the extra power consumption. Subaru's factory alternator is pretty weak.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Make sure you have a good capacitor on those subs and that your ground is solid to the frame unless you decide to upgrade your alternator or run an independent battery and alt

Double and Triple check all your wires and connections. Chances are its a short or a poor connection somewhere. Check your ground, did you sand it/ scuff it up if its was attached to a painted surface? Since its an intermittent issue I would not assume right away that its a fuse. Sounds to me like a loose connection honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbeat View Post
    Make sure you have a good capacitor on those subs and that your ground is solid to the frame unless you decide to upgrade your alternator or run an independent battery and alt
    Dont worry about a capacitor, this issue shouldnt be related to power drawing from your electrical system (unless of course these issues only occur at high volumes).

If you plan to eventually upgrade your electrical consider this.
    - Big Three Upgrade: There is plenty of info on the web that you can familiarize yourself with. A quick explanation of this is basically- Upgrading key wires that go from the neg terminal on your batt to chassis ground, putting a larger wire (1/0 awg) going to your alternator, and your engine ground. This will allow more current to flow freely rather than bottleneck in the wire. This is a cheaper option than an upgraded alternator and would consider this as a supporting mod to prepare for a new alternator too!
    - Yellow top Optima battery: You can replace your stock battery with a deep cycle batter. They crank out much more power and again, its a cheaper and easier alternative to running a second battery.

all that being said, it really comes down to how much power you are continuously drawing from your car. If you are drawing around 1000- Maybe 1400W RMS, then I would say you dont need the extra battery and/or the new alternator..

But before you start replacing stuff and buying new stuff, try to figure out where the current problem lies in your electrical.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.