Higher output Alternators
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Higher output Alternators within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey all. Just finished (well almost still painting the shroud that's holding my nexus 7) a custome install on my ...

Higher output Alternators

Hey all. Just finished (well almost still painting the shroud that's holding my nexus 7) a custome install on my 2012 wrx 5door noticed my head lights dimming not thrilled. I have an extra battery installed under the sub box (sub's amps are in a customer box where the spare tire was so keep all my trunk space) the fix for this issue in my truck that I traded in for this car was a higher output alternator. This being my first Subaru I have no idea what can be done I searched the forums and found a couple links but the newest I could find was a 140 amp for a 2010 does anyone know the output on the stock one and if the 2010 is the same as the 12 so it'll bolt right in? Or does anyone have any other links for the parts or ideas any input would be awesome

Thanks in advance
    Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I did not replace the alternator to battery cable the other two yes. Guess I can replace that first and see if that fixes it. But more info in the mean time couldn't hurt

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I run a 160A alternator from Maniac Electric in my bugeye. It's a huge improvement over the OEM 75A (that actually put out more like 50A max). Not only is the voltage regulation super stable (and actually 14.5V since I put a diode in the sense wire), but it's more efficient since it uses the larger housing, and it will put out over 100A at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I run a 160A alternator from Maniac Electric in my bugeye. It's a huge improvement over the OEM 75A (that actually put out more like 50A max). Not only is the voltage regulation super stable (and actually 14.5V since I put a diode in the sense wire), but it's more efficient since it uses the larger housing, and it will put out over 100A at idle.

Good to hear. You mentioned its a larger housing, did it bolt right in or was some fab work required?

Edit: also looked at their site only shows up to 2010 is it the same for the 12?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it's still an OEM Subaru housing.. from a Forester XT I believe. It bolts up just like stock.

I would assume the 2012 is the same, but I've never looked. I'm sure google has that answer, or you could call Christian at Maniac Electric and talk to her, she is very knowledgeable about alternators.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah, it's still an OEM Subaru housing.. from a Forester XT I believe. It bolts up just like stock.

I would assume the 2012 is the same, but I've never looked. I'm sure google has that answer, or you could call Christian at Maniac Electric and talk to her, she is very knowledgeable about alternators.

Awesome thanks I'll givim a call tomorrow thanks for the Info

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.