2015 WRX With Navi and H/K Audio - Speaker Sizes?

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX With Navi and H/K Audio - Speaker Sizes? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm sitting here reading these posts and getting the itch to upgrade. I bought a '15 with the H/K system ...

2015 WRX With Navi and H/K Audio - Speaker Sizes?

I'm sitting here reading these posts and getting the itch to upgrade. I bought a '15 with the H/K system thinking I would leave well enough alone and it's ok, but I'm used to my last car that had my Focal K2 components and K2 mid bass with a JL 10W7.

I digress... Does anyone know what the speaker sizes are for the H/K system?

All I can seem to find is that there are 9 speakers; (I'm going to attempt to use logic and deduction now, so please bear with me) - one of them obviously being the subwoofer mounted on the rear deck, 2 being the woofers in the front doors (presumably 6.5's), 2 being the woofers in the rear doors (I'm thinking coaxial because I don't see tweeters anywhere in the back) leaving me to believe that perhaps inside those large plastic grills in the corners of the front dash there might be mids and tweets....???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found this information in a Youtube video. Attached is a screenshot of a slide in the presentation. The video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUOtkxoUus0

With that spec posted, I am curious to see how much better this hardware will sound with an aftermarket head unit.

Excellent information, thanks BarryBostwick. From my history with car audio, that is a slightly odd setup... There's no specific tweeter in the front and the mids are playing, well, midrange, and the highs. I've tweaked the built-in EQ a little and I want to spend some more time with it before I throw in the towel, but I'm really looking forward to seeing some people do installs in the factory locations and see how it turns out.

I agree, it is a little weird how they set it up. But I will say that when I was testing both the non-HK and the HK systems in the 2015 both sounded really crisp for the high end.

In my experience, the non-HK system sounded great for what your paying extra for, ie: $0. But the HK system, only sounded "good". I wasn't blown away like I hoping for. The highs and mids sounded great, but I thought the bass could have hit a bit harder. (I listen to a lot genres of rock and electronic music).

I am not a big car audio guy by any means; what I know is only from the time shopping around and looking at options for my upcoming 2015 wrx. But in my naive opinion, I would think the $1500-$2000 for a sound system could get much better going aftermarket. It all depends on whether or not you have the time, money up front, or patience to do it.

Yeah, I agree, I'm not totally impressed with the H/K system, it sounds a bit flat to me and the bass doesn't quite pop. I think spending $2k on an aftermarket system could get you something decent but, apparently naively, I thought I could tweak the H/K and make do without going aftermarket.

I think I'm going to consult my local shop about a custom mount for tweeters up front and see about putting my Focal K2 3-ways in. Not too sure how that would work considering the H/K system has all its own built in tuning, DSP, blah blah and I'm quite uncertain about how adding two sets of crossovers will impact the system. Live and learn I suppose.