Pioneer AVH -4000NEX good choice for HU - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pioneer AVH -4000NEX good choice for HU within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by popotamus Does the 4000NEX auto connect to your phone, and begin playing music immediately when the car ...

Quote Originally Posted by popotamus View Post
    Does the 4000NEX auto connect to your phone, and begin playing music immediately when the car is started?
    Yes, after it boots up.
    What's the boot time on the 4000NEX?
    Feels like about 30s, but I haven't timed it.
    Is the h/u able to pair with more than 1 device?
    Yes, but only one can be connected at a time.

Edit: I timed it last night and this morning, and it boots up in about 15s. It usually takes another ~10s to auto-connect and start playing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wade-0; 05-07-2014 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just wanted to post an update now that I've used it for a couple weeks. I'm running this headunit in my bugeye wagon with all Polk Audio gear:

Polk PA660.4 4ch amp (bridged to 2ch)
    Polk PAD1000.1 Monoblock sub amp

Polk DB6501 6.5" components in the front
    Polk DB521 5.25" coaxials in the rear (running off the headunit's built-in amp)
    Polk MM1240 12" single voice coil sub in a Audio Integrations Perfect Fit enclosure.

First the negative stuff:

1) Sunlight and reflections make it pretty damn near impossible to see anything on the display. I kind of expected this though, without coughing up the extra cash to pay for the higher end model with capacitive display. It also smudges really easily, and is hard to clean.

2) The lower lip with all the controls is a dust magnet. It's also hard to use those controls without looking at them, there's no tactile difference that let's you know what button your finger is on without looking down.

3) The main "Home" screen is kind of boring, and I wish I could disable the giant "Apps" menu since I'm not using MirrorLink or the AppRadio features.

Now for the positive stuff:

1) The Android BT integration is pretty sick. The built in Pandora app automatically connects and starts playing where it left off, shows artist/album/track information including album art, and has thumbs up/down controls in addition to the usual playback controls. This is a huge step up from the BT integration in my Clarion.

2) I loaded up a 32gb SD card with music and a few photos (for customizing the background). It initially took about 5 minutes to index the music, which had me worried, but it only had to do it once. The file navigation is surprisingly easy for such a large amount of music. It resumes playback where it left off after about 5-10 seconds after starting up. It supports ID3 tags or folder/file navigation.

3) The display looks pretty good at night time, and the images look pretty sharp.

I tried to set up the Auto-EQ and Time Alignment using the auto calibration mic from my old Sony AVR, and it seems to have gotten the distance measurements pretty accurately, but the Auto-EQ is a little too bright on the highs, and light in the midrange for my tastes. It also wanted to drastically pull back the sub levels (-22db) which was annoying. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that it works better with the Pioneer CD-MC20 mic, so for now I'm just using the time-alignment values and disabled the Auto-EQ until I can find one cheap somewhere. I hate to spend $25 for something I'm only going to use once.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade-0 View Post
    ... I had to turn the sub level down -3db in the speaker levels menu.
    I've been looking for that menu; I can turn the sub on or off, but I don't see where to adjust the level.

Quote Originally Posted by kincaidkmf View Post
    I've been looking for that menu; I can turn the sub on or off, but I don't see where to adjust the level.
    Speaker Levels menu, bottom right of the screen.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I just got my first WRX and that factory head unit has to go. I have been looking at the Kenwood DDX-8901HD, the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and the SPH-DA210 (AppRadio3). I am heavily leaning towards the AVH-4000NEX. Any opinions?

I think it is worth mentioning a couple of things I have found out while researching the decks.

First, to make AppRadio truly useful you should get a copy of AppRadio Unchained for Android. Check out some of the videos on YouTube for good demos (Like this one: PIONEER AVH-4000NEX APPRADIO UNCHAINED: http://youtu.be/ahGqiRT8NhI.] It allows full mirroring of your phone. I believe ARLiberator does the same for iOS. If you have an e-brake bypass then you will be free to use any app at any time.

Second, check out this thread if you are interested in replacing the console trim with OEM trim that removes the need for spacers around the deck. Great idea, and I hadn't thought about it. While this is for the Forester, I am sure that the replacement trim could be found for the WRX. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ok-here-88550/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

So far I'm not getting very good feedback people during phone calls. Guy today told me "It sounds like you're in your car right now, should I call you back later?" I've got the mic mounted on top of the steering wheel column, literally 2 feet in front of my face.

I have the avic-5000 I love it so far, I mounted the mic half ass and it still sounds great! I left the stock mic where it is and put the aftermarket mic in the hole right behind where the stock one is located. So far I have not had any problems with it. I know I'll eventually change the location but for now I'll leave it where it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell me the parts you used? I wasn't sure if the '14 harness would work or not with the '15 WRX

I'm planning on getting the following:
    1) AVIC-4000 or 6000 (Android compatible)
    2) Harness (don't know which one)
    3) Bypass?
    4) ??
    5) ??

What else do I need?

Thanks!

I bought the 4000NEX and really enjoy it.

As for the harness, it depends.

If you want to retain steering wheel controls, you should go here: ae64.com - Subaru Radio Wiring Harnesses - Products / Prices.

The 20 pin forward harness he makes has the 3 wires you need to connect to the Axxess ASWC-1 which he also sells. The ASWC-1 is a module which is made to interface between the HU and the steering wheel controls. It auto-configures for you, but you can also manually program the buttons to do what you want.

As for the bypass, I ordered this microbypass: Amazon.com: MicroBypass Video In Motion Interface For Use With Pioneer Models AVH-100DVD AVH-200BT AVH-X1500DVD AVH-X1600DVD AVH-X2500BT AVH-X2600BT AVH-X3500BHS AVH-X3600BHS AVH-X4500BT AVH-X4600BT AVH-X5500BHS AVH-X5600BHS AVH-X6500DVD AVH-X7500BT .
    Haven't even really tested it but I assume it works. I can report back later.

If you want to retain the factory aux jack and USB connections in the center console, he has stuff for that too. I ordered this for USB retention: Axxess AXSUBUSB Subaru USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select 2011+ Subaru Vehicles w/ Aftermarket Stereos

For AUX jack retention, I ordered his 16-pin aux harness w/ 3 plain 3" aux wires only and went to radioshack and bought a 3.5mm jack and soldered these wires, the manual shows the layout for which points to connect the left, right, and gnd.

Unless you buy a JDM bezel, you will need a metra dash kit to fill the gap : Amazon.com : Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics, this route is cheaper but the JDM bezel looks better, I just wanted to get it done.

I think that about wraps it up. That's everything I did at least. It's nice to have the USB, steering wheel controls, and aux jack retention.

For the parts I mentioned, make sure you are ordering for your specific year and model subaru and go to this website:

http://ae64.com/aftermarket-HU-install-parts-index.htm

Shipping was pretty quick and the harnesses were great. There is a wealth of knowledge on connections and such on the Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information website, so look around.

Hope this helps. Good luck
    Last edited by jdoutine; 09-20-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks! That is a lot of info. Now to pull the trigger and spend more money.

What at the connections on the back of the stock HU? I thought only needed 1 harness?

Top Middle - Center Console USB?
    Bottom Left - Antenna
    Bottom Middle - ???
    Bottom Right - 20 pin harness

Thanks for all the info. How was the bypass? did it work?

i have a 2015 Wrx and its the same stock radio the 14's are rockin.

even with all the info, its still difficult to navigate that guys website but i emailed him and told him what i needed. hopefully i get a response back soon!

I emailed him a few days ago, still haven't heard from him. I understand that he could be busy, or he may have another job and this is just something he does on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash408 View Post
    I emailed him a few days ago, still haven't heard from him. I understand that he could be busy, or he may have another job and this is just something he does on the side.
    Yup. Something. I doubt it could be a full time gig. I'm over my radio in my 15' so its makes it hard to be patient but i'll just have to try! I'll let you know if i hear back from him. However if anyone else can help & tell me what i need to retain steering wheel controls on my 15' wrx & what wiring harness for that car too. I'm installing a Pioneer 4000 NEX

I think all he is doing is adding the 3 extra wires for the SWC adapter to a harness. Someone else may know more than me since I haven't ordered one yet. I was going to order the 4000 NEX soon and Crutchfield is giving me the Metra 70-7552 Receiver Wiring Harness for free. I was looking at that and it only has 13 wires coming out. If i go with this, then I need to tap into the OEM connections to add the SWC adapter, which I don't want to do.

I will wait to hear from 96svx.dc and use his. Less damaging approach unless i figure out how to add 3 wires into the Metra harness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.