Any thoughts on Sony XAV-602BT for 2013 WRX?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on Sony XAV-602BT for 2013 WRX? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I went to my local car audio shop today to do some price shopping. Asked the guy about the Pioneer ...

Any thoughts on Sony XAV-602BT for 2013 WRX?

I went to my local car audio shop today to do some price shopping. Asked the guy about the Pioneer AppRadio3, but he suggest the Sony XAV-602BT over it, saying it was easier to use, had better support, AND I did not need to spend extra on the cabling for steering wheel control/USB support. Anyone have any experience with this HU? I'm not in any type of rush and I want to be extremely thorough when it comes to upgrading my car. Any input is appreciated - thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That guy is a complete idiot pioneer is a far better head unit. Look at different models of pioneer head units there's plenty of them out there that will outshine a sony. The three head units of my choice is Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. Out of all the head unit brands out there those are the best choices when it comes to getting a head unit. Sony is very cheap in my honest opinion I would NEVER use anything sony in my car, I'll admit their head units are not as bad as other audio related stuff they make but I wouldn't get a sony EVER.. You were in the right direction the guy that works at the audio shop needs to be fired lololol I don't get who would recommend a sony over a pioneer.. Pioneer makes one of the best head units on the market and has been that way for years.

Don't know all the options you want in a h.u but a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS is a far better choice than that pos sony.

I have the sony 602bt in my 08, heres what I have issues with.

It does not do bluetooth audio with my galaxy s3

Sometimes it wont fully load my contacts in bluetooth, went from F to W everyone in between didnt show up.

it is difficult to navigate through while driving since its all touch screen

Mirror link is awful, period. How so? Its laggy, only uses navigation and plays music. I dont see any other purpose.

The whole unit is buggy, it has reset on its own 5 times and muted my ipod once. Had to turn the car off and on to hear my ipod again.

The good
    it makes the factory speakers sound great, lots of eq tuning both custom and preset.

There is an update per sony that makes the icons a tad bit bigger

Bluetooth is clear on both ends

Overall, for the price you pay, im sure you can do better. I mainly listen to my ipod and radio and stopped using mirrorlink altogether. I also used just a normal ipod cable and I dont have steering wheel controls so no comment there. If you do buy this unit though and install yourself (very very easy) use the factory brackets with the screws sony supplies.

I agree that either Alpine and Pioneer is the way to go.

Personally, prefer the audio quality (and control) offered of Alpine over Pioneer. However, most people wouldn't notice a difference (it is quite possible it's all in my head). Pioneer has far more to offer in terms of app support.

When you get to the point where you want to upgrade the speakers (and add an amp), make sure to do lots of research and listen to many different speakers so you can find something that suits your taste. A new headunit will make the factory speakers sounds better, but they still suck.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I had been reading this forum for a few days before I went in there, so I was a little taken back when he suggested the Sony over the Pioneer. As someone who has been in sales myself, I am now thinking Sony may have some incentives for those who sell their products in a retail environment (called "spiffs"), which is maybe why he tried to push me towards it. I've heard a lot of great things about the AVH-X5600BHS, but they didn't have it on display (only the AppRadio3). Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. My plan is to upgrade the HU first, get a little bit of better sound out of the stock speakers, and then maybe in the future upgrade the speakers themselves.

Also, has anyone had any personal experience with DynaMating their cars? I was considering that as well to lower cabin noise and improve speaker quality.

I haven't dynamatted my car, but a friend of mine is a pro. There is a science to doing it right. A lot of people think you need to cover every surface to be effective, but in reality it is strategically placed to reduce panel vibration (which actually causes the most cabin noise).

There is a lot of material on the web about effective dynamatting and cabin noise reduction. Ineffective use of the material only really accomplishes 2 things, excess expense, and insane added weight.

Sent from my iPhone
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

If I was you I would just purchase from a online vendor such as sonicelectroix they sell stuff at a better price than retail and a h.u install is not that hard to do. If you decide to have some audio shop do it just bring it to them. It's much better knowing you got the product you want then to get pressured into something they recommend so they can get their cut of commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrb37 View Post
    I haven't dynamatted my car, but a friend of mine is a pro. There is a science to doing it right. A lot of people think you need to cover every surface to be effective, but in reality it is strategically placed to reduce panel vibration (which actually causes the most cabin noise).

There is a lot of material on the web about effective dynamatting and cabin noise reduction. Ineffective use of the material only really accomplishes 2 things, excess expense, and insane added weight.

Sent from my iPhone
    Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can do some research on the "sweet spots" so I don't have to spend as much on the material (which I know is pretty expensive). I've already watched a few "how to" videos and I feel it is something I can do, but honestly I may just not have the time to do it myself so we'll see where that goes.

And frenzied, thanks for the input. I was considering getting one off of amazon.com (they have the AVH-X5600BHS for $350) and attempting installation, but I really have no experience with it and I am concerned about getting all the right parts, such as one for steering wheel controls, motion unlock, USB port, etc. If I were going to spring for the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS, which accessories would I need to make everything work, including stock USB and AUX?

As for the sweet spots, it's basically any large flat area. This is because the flat areas are what vibrate causing the noise. Anywhere that has a crease, bend, or multiple bends is more rigid and less susceptible to vibration. The roof is a major factor, inner door panels, and flat sections in the floor. Don't worry about the trunk unless you plan on adding subs with a lot of power.

The flat area does not need to be fully covered, just enough to reduce/absorb vibrations. I remember my friend telling me that for a door, a single piece about the size of letter paper is sufficient if placed properly.

Sent from my iPhone
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

I would not buy a Sony product for a car unless it the Mobile ES system in it's entirety, during a time when the system is being integrated in Sony's lab into the model of car that I own.
    Pioneer is excellent 'bang for the buck' ... my $.02