Looking for an under the seat sub
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking for an under the seat sub within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, I just bought a 2013 Impreza WRX hatch last week and just as I have been reading the ...

Question Looking for an under the seat sub

Hey guys, I just bought a 2013 Impreza WRX hatch last week and just as I have been reading the sound system is sub par. I have been working on buying all the components to upgrade the whole thing. I really want to mount a subwoofer under the passenger seat and I was hoping someone might know of one that would work for me. I already have the amp I will be using Alpine PDX-V9 that has 5 channels 4 x 100 W and 1 x 500 W. Any subs out there that will be able to utilize the full potential of this amp, but still fit under the passenger seat? Money isnt really a problem I have about $1000 left in my budget for speakers and the sub. Any good speaker recommendations would also be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would not recommend an underseat subwoofer, unless you are deadset on it. I have one in my car and am completely unimpressed. If you are worried about size, there are some nice integrated options out there (but cost more) and some shallow sub options that don't take up much room.

As for speakers, I would recommend components and putting your money towards the fronts and keeping the rears stock so you can budget more towards fronts and the rears.

I am happy with my JL speakers (I have the C5/650's) and these are well within your budget:
    WoofersEtc.com - C5-650 - JL Audio 6.5" C5 Series Components

You can save some money and go with these:
    JL Audio Evolution C3-650 6.5" Convertible Component Speakers

Focal is a well respected brand:
    https://www.woofersetc.com/c-40-65.a...ufacturerid=33

Herz is also good:
    WoofersEtc.com - ESK-165.5 - Hertz 6.5" 300W Peak 2-Way Component Speaker System

You can spend your whole budget on speakers easily, so it is finding a balance between price and performance. If you have some audio shops nearby I would recommend listening.

For the sub I think something like this will sound very good and allow you to retain your storage:
    http://www.audiointegrations.net/08subaru.html

If you factor in that enclosure and a good woofer, you are looking at $500 or so. That still leaves you $500 for your speakers which is a nice budget and easily puts you in something like a JL C5-650 set of component speakers.

I Support ClubWRX
    keeping the stock HU?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    keeping the stock HU?
    Nope, I got the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS to replace it with.

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    I would not recommend an underseat subwoofer, unless you are deadset on it. I have one in my car and am completely unimpressed. If you are worried about size, there are some nice integrated options out there (but cost more) and some shallow sub options that don't take up much room.

As for speakers, I would recommend components and putting your money towards the fronts and keeping the rears stock so you can budget more towards fronts and the rears.

I am happy with my JL speakers (I have the C5/650's) and these are well within your budget:
    WoofersEtc.com - C5-650 - JL Audio 6.5" C5 Series Components

You can save some money and go with these:
    JL Audio Evolution C3-650 6.5" Convertible Component Speakers

Focal is a well respected brand:
    https://www.woofersetc.com/c-40-65.a...ufacturerid=33

Herz is also good:
    WoofersEtc.com - ESK-165.5 - Hertz 6.5" 300W Peak 2-Way Component Speaker System

You can spend your whole budget on speakers easily, so it is finding a balance between price and performance. If you have some audio shops nearby I would recommend listening.

For the sub I think something like this will sound very good and allow you to retain your storage:
    http://www.audiointegrations.net/08subaru.html

If you factor in that enclosure and a good woofer, you are looking at $500 or so. That still leaves you $500 for your speakers which is a nice budget and easily puts you in something like a JL C5-650 set of component speakers.
    I probably will end up going with a stealth box. Are you saying I should run the front speakers and the tweeters off the amp instead of the front and rear?

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the same HU i like it a lot. Did you order the rest of the parts form ae64? I ended up replacing my speakers first wish I did the hu but no big deal . I would have liked to hear the sound with the OEM speakers since I hear they aren't bad. I would have rather spend the speaker money on other things

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    I got the same HU i like it a lot. Did you order the rest of the parts form ae64? I ended up replacing my speakers first wish I did the hu but no big deal . I would have liked to hear the sound with the OEM speakers since I hear they aren't bad. I would have rather spend the speaker money on other things

I did they should be here Monday, I'm replacing the head unit first so I'll let ya know how that goes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds good. I would sacrifice the space and put a single sub box with quick connects. Since you have a hatch your really not loosing much space.

Last edited by cflip2x; 03-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by DTAbrah View Post
    I probably will end up going with a stealth box. Are you saying I should run the front speakers and the tweeters off the amp instead of the front and rear?
    The fronts (woofers and tweeters) only take up two channels. You can use the other two channels to power the rears if you want.

I have not heard those particular speakers, but Alpine is considered decent. Which subwoofer box are you going to put that subwoofer in? It seems kinda pricey, and if it was me, I would spend less on the subwoofer and more on the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    I have not heard those particular speakers, but Alpine is considered decent. Which subwoofer box are you going to put that subwoofer in? It seems kinda pricey, and if it was me, I would spend less on the subwoofer and more on the speakers.
    Im gonna order the stealth box from audio integrations. I installed the HU this weekend. Its definitely a big upgrade from the current one. The big difference is that it gets about twice as loud.

Im gonna order the stealth box from audio integrations. I installed the HU this weekend. Its definitely a big upgrade from the current one. The big difference is that it gets about twice as loud.
    For that box you could do something like this:
    JL Audio 10W1v34 10" Single 4-Ohm W1 Series Car Subwoofer

Which is one of the woofers Audio Integrations recommends. You would have more money towards speakers then. Glad to hear you like the new HU

Can someone link me to a good DIY for installing the amplifier, subwoofer, and speakers on a hatch? Anyway to run the power to the amp without drilling through the firewall?

I was hoping the underseat thread had some more options and info about underseat subwoofers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.