14' WRX Premium Sedan - Head Unit Upgrade
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 14' WRX Premium Sedan - Head Unit Upgrade within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Bought my WRX in January and still haven't made it through the break in period... BUT! I have driven it ...

14' WRX Premium Sedan - Head Unit Upgrade

Bought my WRX in January and still haven't made it through the break in period... BUT! I have driven it enough to know I could not live with the factory stereo...

So I sucked it up and started taking apart my first brand new car in hopes of a little audio redemption... admittedly I did not think to take many pictures along the way but since I only installed a head unit there wasn't tons to show

I instead figure I'll write a little about the products and methods used in hopes of adding to the wealth of knowledge I come for so often on this site..

Installation Products
    - ae64.com 20-pin Harness
    - ae64.com Aux Jack Harness
    - ae64.com USB Jack Harness
    - Microbypass AVH parking brake bypass
    - ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
    - Subaru OEM double-din bezel PN: 66065SC130

Soldering the harness was easy with the help of the following pages to ensure everything went where it should

20-pin Harness ae64.com - Head Unit Installation with Subaru 20-pin Harness

ASWC-1 ae64.com - Axxess ASWC Interface Installation with Subaru 20-pin Harness (Followed Variation "B")

The microbypass was straight forward, matched color for color, Black = Ground / Blue = Amp Turn on / Green = Parking Wire from HU.

I'm happy to say my harness worked on the first shot!

The ASWC-1 auto programmed without needing any input for the audio controls... As stated on ae64.com's site... once the LED went solid red I held the on-hook button for a few seconds until the light went off... this programmed the on / off hook phone buttons on the steering wheel. The voice button does nothing right now... I was going to manually program it to mute like others have but forgot... I may do it when I open the dash up again to install the camera... but for now it's all good

Installed Products
    - Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS
    - Pioneer CD-AH200 (Cable kit for Android)
    - Samsung MHL Adapter EPL-FU10BEBSTD

Once the harness was made everything else was plug and play. The AVH-X8500BHS looks great and has everything I want in a head unit. The sound quality with the OEM speakers is so much better... I think I can actually live with it now!!! I ran my bluetooth microphone to the stock location as I wanted everything to be as OEM as possible... The wires for the OEM microphone are attached to a harness with the ground wires for the map lights, three wires RED/BLUE/YELLOW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140309_090407.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	138921

Name:	20140309_090556.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	138929

Name:	20140309_090513.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	138937

It took some time but I was able to unpin those three wires from the harness to remove the OEM microphone. I know I could of moved it over but I didn't like the idea of it maybe rattling around... yes I'm OCD like that When / if I return it to stock I can slide the pins back in... I of course didn't take a pic of the new microphone but as I've seen before it's securely held in the stock location by 3M double sided tape... and zip ties for the wire...

The Pioneer cable kit and Samsung adapter work flawlessly... I connected to the AVH-X8500BHS Appradio mode on the first shot... I ran the cable through the hole in the top right corner of the cubby under the AC controls... (Reach in there you'll feel it)... Came out clean... I have a Panavise mount for my S4 on order and will finish up the cable routing once it comes it...

Like I said there were no surprises... Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information has everything you need for parts and information... use it!!! the OEM radio brackets attached to the 8500 with screws provided by Pioneer... the OEM bezel is a perfect match and installed without an issue... A small not on the bezel though... you have to swap the 5? clips from your original bezel to the new one... they are plastic... take your time... You also have to swap the vents... but none of this is heavy lifting...

This is the only pic I have with me now... and yes I cleaned the smudges off the screen

Name:	20140309_120546.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	138945

Anyway... any questions that I may be able to help with let me know... the WRX is an easy one to deck swap... and it's very worth it

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

throw this write up (maybe a little more detail on swapping out OEM mic) and you'll help out tons of people. good stuff!

In for updates

Which samsung are you using? I hoping the appradio is better than mirrolink/drivelink bull crap.

i hear that mirror link only fully works if you root. any truth?

From the reviews even the rooted version isnt much better. I'm using a galaxy 3 on a sony xav-602bt and the mirrorlink works. It just has glitches and is not all that well thought out and doesnt always load up, you have to hit "yes" twice on your phone and still press mirrorlink on the unit and hope you havent crashed by then.

I have a Galaxy S4 from Verizon... Not rooted... My head unit doesn't have mirrorlink although I can get it to mirror my phone on the screen... I can only interact with it in appradio mode though...

My S4 connects in appradio mode without any issues... The whole thing is some what of a fad really... Meaning it's cool and I'm sure I'll use it here and there but the cool factor will fade...

My big issue is that that phone doesn't charge when connected to the head unit... We all know how long these smart phone batteries last especially when being taxed with gps etc... Along those lines you can't shut the screen on the phone off when using appradio mode... Another battery killer...

I Support ClubWRX
    Im not sure if this is possible but maybe if you were to find the positive and negative wires from an extra usb cable and power that off a 1Amp power source you can charge the usb and then the green and white data cables can go to the back of the HU
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Im not sure if this is possible but maybe if you were to find the positive and negative wires from an extra usb cable and power that off a 1Amp power source you can charge the usb and then the green and white data cables can go to the back of the HU
    Ya not sure how that would work... the CD-AH200 cable kit is an HDMI and a USB off the back of the 8500 to an MHL adapter in the kit... from there it's micro usb to the Samsung adapter to the phone... luckily everything beside the cable connected to the phone is in the dash out of sight

I know the note 2 is able to have wireless charging

Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    I know the note 2 is able to have wireless charging
    Hmmmm I never thought of that... something I'm going to look into right now!

The S4 can be adapted for wireless charging for a cost... but then I found this... anyone out there have any real world input on charging levels while running multiple apps in the car? GPS, Pandora etc...

Update on ProClip USA Holders and Qi Wireless Charging

with my note 2 when I Drive I usually run Google Maps with traffic while I'm streaming Sirius XM satellite radio. I also charged using the cigarette adapter from five below and it will usually charge faster than normal.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the wireless charger for my S4 and its too slow. Its good for over night but it has to be just right and if you have a case around the phone it can be quirky. I was thinking of a way to fit one into the little center cubby. Forgot that I was going over HDMI. I wonder if someone could make a Micro USB splitter with 2 female ends one wired to power one to data.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Do you absolutely need the CD-AH200?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast