Stock radio and a car's value

This is a discussion on Stock radio and a car's value within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; A few months ago I went into a dealership to talk trade-in for my 02 bugeye. The salesman asked me ...

Stock radio and a car's value

A few months ago I went into a dealership to talk trade-in for my 02 bugeye. The salesman asked me if I still had my stock radio in the car. (You know, the fat 6-CD changer with tape cassette player and no USB port that went kablooey in 2008). I said no, it was long gone. He said that not having the OEM radio can impair the value of the car by "thousands." Has anyone ever heard of this? In any case I didn't do business with this fellow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MTM
    maybe if it was a a 2010 or newer? lol Ive never heard of that...

That is unreasonable. I even thought it was unreasonable that my insurance company wanted to reduce the value of my car during a claim by something like $150 for not having the stock radio. (I did have it, just not installed, which I later showed).

Incidentally, I would be willing to sell it for $150, if I could find a fool willing to pay that much...
    David - '05 WRX

Thousands??? If they are going to knock down the price on your trade for that, find a new place to trade in because they are being shady.

They are probably trying to find any way to lowball you since they know they can flip a an older WRX for a solid amount of profit in their pockets.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveB View Post
    He said that not having the OEM radio can impair the value of the car by "thousands." Has anyone ever heard of this? In any case I didn't do business with this fellow.
    I see two sides to this scenario.

Playing devil's advocate:
    An aftermarket radio calls into question the quality of the swap. You could pull out the stereo and find a beautifully loomed plug-and-play harness, or you could find wires spliced everywhere and held together with tape. You can't really be sure until you check.

Playing a rational human being:
    Would an aftermarket stereo automatically mean thousands of dollars off the car's value? Not even close. Also, just because you put the crappy OEM deck back in there doesn't mean the wiring wasn't already messed with, but the average buyer won't think about that, and the salesman can say "clean, stock, WRX, turbo! WOW! Won't last long!"

The salesman is a jackass trying to screw you on your trade, knowing full well that bugeye will be gone off his lot in days with a tidy profit. You did well to break contact.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'll sell you my old one for $100, if it means you'll get thousands more on trade in.

Tell him you will install a stock one and he can give you thousands more for trade-in.

It is nothing more than the salesman trying to fleece you.

I Support ClubWRX
    he's full of sh*t!!! thousands? what a moron who thinks you must be a moron too. No way. get out of there and never go back again.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition