WRX 2012 Radio Wire Diagram Confusion

This is a discussion on WRX 2012 Radio Wire Diagram Confusion within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys! I am planning to install an Appradio 3 (Double DIN) with a backup camera on my 2012 WRX ...

WRX 2012 Radio Wire Diagram Confusion

Hey guys!

I am planning to install an Appradio 3 (Double DIN) with a backup camera on my 2012 WRX (I am the second owner). Before I buy the unit, I decided to check what was behind the new radio unit that the first owner did. I am confuse of what harness or equipment I need to buy and what goes where. Here are some pictures that I took with identification numbers. If someone can help me, that would be awesome and this might help others who wants to install a new radio unit. I did not unplug anything*

1- ?
    2- ?
    3- I suppose it is the 20 pin harness?
    4- Steering Sheel Control Interface (ASWC Part no. 8014920)
    5- ?
    6- Antenna
    7- ?
    8- Subwoofer
    9- Do I need to buy a double Din mold? (Usually, the bracket comes with the radio unit)

Hope to get an answer soon!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio 3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	137473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wires1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	137457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire 4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	137481

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know #2 is some sort of chassis grounding clip...connects on a piece on the side of the stock HU. Aftermarket units may not need it.

No lie, that looks like a total hack job.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I would start over and use this place as a reference:
    Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information

1-pretty sure this is for the audio jack in the center console (ae64.com)
    2-pretty sure this is for the USB connection in the center console(ae64.com) <---that guy has cables that allows you to keep all that functionality with aftermarket headunits. let me rephrase, allows you to keep the factory center console locations.
    3-20pin harness
    4-steering wheel interface
    5-honestly not sure, satellite radio? or this is the usb and then #2 is the satellite radio
    6-radio antenna
    7-microphone
    8-looks like he installed (or planned to install an amp) those are RCA cables. is there a sub? cause it probably connects to the amp powering the sub
    9-yeah your going to have to buy a din mold (USDM din bezel NASIOC - View Single Post - "simple question") that's guna be a little $$ but it fits like a glove

1: Aux Jack in center console (adapter through ae64.com will plug in there)
    2: This is a redundant ground that would have been attached to the rear of your stock radio. I did not use it when installing my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS. The ground in the harness is fine.
    3: Main 20-pin harness. (go with ae64.com harness to keep steering wheel controls)
    4: Steering wheel interface. Looks a little different then the aswc-1 I just installed so it may be an older model.
    5: USB in center console. (ae64.com has these adapters in stock as well)
    6: Antenna
    7: Not sure... where does it go? If connected to the aswc it may be an adapter if your head unit didn't have the direct plug for remote controls... But I can't tell where it's going.
    8: RCA cables that went to an amp somewhere... installed by previous owner
    9: Single din install kit... like WREXXY said you'll need a double din bezel... get the OEM panel it's worth the cost. Are there metal brackets on the sides of that Kenwood? You'll need the factory brackets to install the double din unit.