Thoughts on this audio mod path?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thoughts on this audio mod path? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi all, I have a 2007 Outback, and I'm working on a modest audio build. Unfortunately, the head unit is ...

I Support ClubWRX

Thoughts on this audio mod path?

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Outback, and I'm working on a modest audio build. Unfortunately, the head unit is integrated with the HVAC, so I'm working off of the factory HU on this build. Like the Impreza line, the Outback has 4CH audio, with no true sub channel. (The OEM sub option just tees into the other channels). I have a $500 budget for the initial set.

Updated 1/28/14 plan:
    *AudioControl LC7i - This is an audio processor and LOC I'll be using to convert all existing channels to pre-outs, and can copy the rear channels, adding the sub channel I never had! I heard this in person before and after at the local audio shop, and the difference was incredible. Incredible clarity and audio sharpness.

*Rockford Fosgate R600X5 - 5CH amp with 50W/channel at 4ohm, and a 200W sub channel at 4ohm.

*Pioneer TS-W254R - 10" 4ohm sub. Accepts 50-250W RMS power, right in line with the amp.

*Custom sub box - I'll be fabricating a custom sub box volume matched to the JL sub, and styled similarly to the JL Stealthbox. I have previous fiberglass and woodworking experience, so this should be an approachable project. I'd like to incorporate some utility into the box, so since I have way more room in the fender space than I need for the sub volume, I'll be using the extra space for a power inverter, offering a 110V power outlet, and some cubby holes for the med kit and tools.

*Wiring I'm making a custom wiring harness, and replacing the existing speaker wire since I'm driving the components off the amp. I'll be using all OEM connectors when I put the wiring harness together, so everything will be 100% plug and play, as well as reversible if I decide to change certain components.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-28-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PICTURES!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    PICTURES!
    Well none of this is installed (or even purchased yet), but yes, once I get underway, there will be pictures in my Outback mod thread. For now, I'm looking for final opinions on my "stage I" audio path before I click the buy button.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

easier to just do it all at once, but anyway:

amp, thinking about the future if you have plans of going any bigger or louder than you'll need an amp with more output. usually you want to go with a more powerful amp than you need for that reason, as well as you won't be pushing 350 watts to the sub unless you have your HU cranked to whatever max you set it at when setting the amp gain. i also didn't look at it, but make sure that the preout voltage your going to have with your setup will work with the gain sensitivity of that amp.

sub, JL is a fantastic brand. what really makes or breaks the system is the sub box itself. the size needs to be designed around the power your pushing to the sub, and if your going ported it needs to be ported based on its frequency response and the amp needs to have a subsonic control so that you don't trash the sub.

but overall looks like you have a decent plan laid out, subd for the build.

I Support ClubWRX
    The amplifier will be just right in the "optimum" operation range with 210W @ 4Ω:

I think you'll do alright with your setup there. Focus on the components (both product and installation) and proper sound deadening/isolation with PhaseII and you'll have a nice little setup, while keeping to a modest budget.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Matt. I have to confess I've been cheating on Clubdub a bit with the Outback forums.

Talking to the folks there, they suggested reworking the budget for a 5Ch amp, and doing all work at once. One guy there has a very similar setup to this, and he said that the sub alone easily overpowered the factory head unit and components until he upgraded everything (which doesn't really surprise me much). He said the sub amp gain would basically have to be turned off to balance the factory components.

If I pass on the JL Audio sub, and go for a cheaper Pioneer sub (which also sounded excellent in the audio shop) for $70, I can get a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amp instead of the mono amp. The 5Ch has a 200W sub channel, like the SO mono amp, as well as 4 50W component channels at 4ohms.

If I save a bit more, I can squeeze in the front components as well, making for one big install, then done.

I'll update the first post to this plan.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    That's really your call, but you want to make sure everything is in the proper operating range. 50W is a little low for component speakers, so you may end up needing to bridge the channels for 100W each. A lot of good component speakers are in the 75-100W range.

I wouldn't really worry too much about getting the components with this round of installs, as sound deadening will add $150-250 to the build, and that would delay your install even further.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.