Sound is pretty bad, what to do?

This is a discussion on Sound is pretty bad, what to do? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey there, I just go my hands on a 2004 WRX. First of all, I am not an audiophile. The ...

Unhappy Sound is pretty bad, what to do?

Hey there, I just go my hands on a 2004 WRX. First of all, I am not an audiophile. The OEM sound systems of my Civic and Neon of the same year where good enough for me. However, I couldn't help notice the sound quality (or lack thereof) of this system. Some background. The car used to have a DVD HU with some Kenwood front speakers, an 400w amp and 2 subwoofers. Now all that is left is the stock head unit with the 2 Kenwood speakers.

From what I read, the stock speakers were ****ty, so the stock head unit compensated in some unconventional way to make them sound better. The aftereffect is that aftermarket speakers will not sound good with the stock HU. Am I correct thus far?

Is it safe to say that the Kenwoods are not somehow blown and all I would need is a decent HU? What kind of HU would you guys recommend me? Considering I'm an OEM kind of guy, I don't need anything fancy. Just decent sound (although auxiliary input would be nice). Heck, could I swap in a Subaru unit from a later model that doesn't have screwed up calibrations?

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the Audio subforum.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's no secret that the stock Subaru head units are incredibly under powered, which is the source of all of your problems here. The stock speakers actually weren't all that terrible in the grand scheme of things...but any Kenwood speakers would still be an upgrade. But if you don't have a good signal, and adequate power pushing that signal through the speakers, it's going to sound like garbage.

You'd be fine to throw in any kind of Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood head unit...price is up to you. I'm a fan of Pioneer double-din units. Touch screen access and nav if you want it is available for an ever increasingly favorable price point. Add the Ipod cable for $20-30 and you have full Ipod integration very easily.

I wouldn't waste time on a newer Subaru unit as you never know how they changed up wiring in newer models compared to older.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    You are correct that the WRX has an extremely crappy quality stereo system. If I were you I would get an amp for those front speakers (you wouldn't need anything crazy) and see if they sound better. At that point if will be obvious if they are blown or not, which in that case, you would need new speakers anyway, and those will sound much better with the amp as well!

It will never sounds as good as a stereo with a sub (even a small one properly powered), but it doesn't sound like you want to take it that far.

One thing to keep in mind is the speakers that can be put in you gen WRX must be very slim (unless you use spacers), as the window rolls down and hits the magnets if you get too "deep" of a speaker. This somewhat limits the quality of the speaker you can get (unless you go bigger money). Something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

EDIT - I agree with Mikie, those headunits are all good. I forgot that you mentioned the aftermarket HU was removed.

Thank you guys. Should I spend time thinking about wiring (signal)? Or basically plop in a head unit and go, from there?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll have to get a car specific wiring harness I believe. I actually haven't done my stereo on my Subaru, but I have done it on all my other cars and I needed to get a specific "fit kit" to get the headunit installed.

What would you guys pic between:
    Pioneer FH-X700BT - 130$ (might be out of stock)
    Sony WX-GT90BT - 180$
    Kenwood DPX500BT - 200$
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4