Amp help-$200 (Tablet w/stock speakers, no HU)

This is a discussion on Amp help-0 (Tablet w/stock speakers, no HU) within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am moving forward with my in dash N7 install into my 2013 WRX and have ordered everything except for ...

Amp help-$200 (Tablet w/stock speakers, no HU)

I am moving forward with my in dash N7 install into my 2013 WRX and have ordered everything except for the amp. I do not have the funds/time to install new speakers and dampening right now so I need something to power the base stock speakers. I read that the 2011 came with better stock speakers. Did these go into the 2013 models too? I am also looking for something that will sound good with a modest speaker upgrade down the line. If I ever add a sub, it will get a dedicated mono amp so bridging this amp is not a factor. This will not be a show car so I am very aware of the line of diminishing returns.

Audio path: N7->dac->Clarion EQ746->AMP->Stock speakers (no sub atm)

The current front runner is an Alpine MRX-F35.

Also considering:
    Alpine Mrp-f300
    MB Quart RA480.4

Any advice/suggestions? I'd like to keep the budget right around 200--maybe a little more for something special.

Thanks
    Last edited by mzisman4; 12-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You best bet is upgrade the HU rather then changing out the speakers.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Cflip2x: Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually planning to change the speakers or have a head unit at all. The tablet will be replacing the head unit entirely. I need an amp to drive the stock system. It will be fed through the audio path in the original post.

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like a lot of work just to have your Nexus as your entertainment center. Im sure any of those amps would be fine. Have you fabricated an in dash mount for it yet or just collecting parts?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I picked up a JDM Bezel and will be placing the tablet flush with the back. For now, the screen will sit about 1 cm back due to the bezel. I'm thinking about removing the ledge so it sits more flush but that is not a huge concern right now. The plan is to use 1" belts and clips (like are on back packs to keep it in snugly. I'll be using two that go horizontally. It's already a tight fit vertically so I'm not planning to add anything for vertical movement. The clips allow me to remove the tablet when I need and will allow me to adjust the fit when I decide to upgrade to another 7" tablet. The belts are a synthetic material so I'm planning to epoxy one end to the back of the bezel.

Hope that made sense. The last piece of the puzzle is the amp and I'll try to log my progress in a build thread.

Have you considered a 5 channel amp for future-proofing your build? JBL GTO-5EZ 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com seems to be a great amp but can be found for about $200-250 on ebay/amazon.

I actually decided to go a different route. I went down to the local stereo shop and they really discouraged amping the stock speakers. They said they recently installed a 50wpc amp into a 2012 wrx and ended up blowing the speakers. I decided to just do it all right the first time. It's going to slow my build down because I'll need more money.

Picked some focal components and an arc audio 4 channel off CL. I got a good deal on the 4 channel and a mono together so a sub will use the dedicated amp at some point down the line. Plan is to properly deaden (per SDS how to guides) and install the speakers in the front doors in one swoop. No immediate plans for rear speakers to try and save some cash. Trying to find a supplier for CCF, MLV, 3m thinsulate, etc. locally to save on shipping (SF Bay Area, CA in case anyone knows of something) I think I have a line on MLV but any tips are appreciated!