2014 WRX satellite radio - False Advertising?

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX satellite radio - False Advertising? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I traded in my Camaro on a 2014 Limited hatch last weekend and today tried to switch my SiriusXM ...

2014 WRX satellite radio - False Advertising?

So I traded in my Camaro on a 2014 Limited hatch last weekend and today tried to switch my SiriusXM subscription over to the new car with no luck. When I press the SAT button on the head unit, nothing happens, so I can't switch to channel 0 to get the ESN. When talking to the customer service folks at SiriusXM, they said I'd need to get the satellite radio module from my dealership. Looking online, that appears to cost $349. Yet the sales brochure says satellite radio is standard on all models (see below) Am I just doing something wrong? If not, this seems pretty shady.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	false-advertising.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	118761

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most likely a misprint you would need to order the add on.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not a misprint. It's SiriusXM "capable", not "equipped". If you read the disclaimer, they say this:

Available as an accessory. Satellite radio hardware, activation, and required monthly subscription sold separately. See your dealer.
    So yeah, you'll need the converter box for it. My Outback is the same way. While the head unit has all the sat radio buttons on the front, they do nothing without the converter box, which is an optional accessory that docks to the back of the HU. Sorry if you feel you got burned, but for $350, you'll be far better off putting that money toward an aftermarket HU that has sat / HD radio / USB / etc built in, instead of adding stuff to the crappy stock one.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn You English language!!!!!
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I have the converter box in my 2011 that I will never use if you are interested.........

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It's not a misprint. It's SiriusXM "capable", not "equipped". If you read the disclaimer, they say this:

So yeah, you'll need the converter box for it. My Outback is the same way. While the head unit has all the sat radio buttons on the front, they do nothing without the converter box, which is an optional accessory that docks to the back of the HU. Sorry if you feel you got burned, but for $350, you'll be far better off putting that money toward an aftermarket HU that has sat / HD radio / USB / etc built in, instead of adding stuff to the crappy stock one.
    Seems pretty lame to me. "Standard feature" doesn't normally mean "optional upgrade". The 2014 disclaimer says,
    3-month trial subscription included when a dealer- or port-installed accessory or a 4-month trial subscription included as part of the available navigation system. Activation and monthly subscription sold separately. See your dealer.
    Oh well, live and learn.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by livendive View Post
    Seems pretty lame to me. "Standard feature" doesn't normally mean "optional upgrade". The 2014 disclaimer says,

Oh well, live and learn.
    Same thing happened to me! I feel slightly
    Ripped off.. I think a Corperate email may be in order!

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it does seem a bit misleading, but you guys have got to read the fine print. For $28k, a would be reading every word of the features list and dealer paperwork. Don't ever take (any) dealer at their word. Was the car ordered, or off the lot? If I expected Sat radio, I would have tested it before signing off on the car.

Not trying to be too harsh, but this is probably exactly what the dealer will say if you try to complain to them about it. Still, it might be worth a shot. Maybe they'll give you the kit at a discount and you can install it yourself (instructions are provided in the kit).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand your comment however when the radio has a button "SAT" I expected it to work. Typically add on sat would state AUX meaning auxiliary AKA additional

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

If it makes ya feel any better I got the Nav and it is 2011 maps in a 2013 car. Nothing like traveling the country and going longer ways because new roads have happened or it thinks I am in the middle the grass cause the direction of the interstate has changed... I tried to email Subaru but it sends you to the manufacturer of the gps. I asked them why a 2011 map is still being used. They said it takes a few years to update. I replied I find that very interesting considering I have a 2011 Ford Edge and have gotten 3 new map update SD cards free from Ford since I have had the car and each time the maps are updated....

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yeah, it does seem a bit misleading, but you guys have got to read the fine print. For $28k, a would be reading every word of the features list and dealer paperwork. Don't ever take (any) dealer at their word. Was the car ordered, or off the lot? If I expected Sat radio, I would have tested it before signing off on the car.

Not trying to be too harsh, but this is probably exactly what the dealer will say if you try to complain to them about it. Still, it might be worth a shot. Maybe they'll give you the kit at a discount and you can install it yourself (instructions are provided in the kit).
    You have a valid point, even if the 2014 brochure's fine print says "activation and monthly subscription sold separately" with no mention of hardward also being an additional purchase.

That said, I considered your advice above about being better off looking for a HU upgrade, and you're probably right. I listen to Pandora far more than SiriusXM music. Also the apps TuneIn, NFL Mobile, and MLB's At Bat get me live streams of all the games I care about. Pioneer's AppRadio Mode looks pretty cool, even if I do have to go up to the AVH-X8500BHS in order to get it to work with Android. If it'll put my Google Nav on the HU too, that seems like a much better option than dropping $300+ up-front plus $8/month on a subscription for SiriusXM.

I'll feel silly changing out the stereo if I don't chase down the vibrations that drive me crazy first, but I'm now kinda leaning that direction.