Aftermarket HU & SWC

This is a discussion on Aftermarket HU & SWC within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey Guys, Before I start, I have searched through countless forums and tech sites for a definitive answer to this ...

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar

Question Aftermarket HU & SWC

Hey Guys,
    Before I start, I have searched through countless forums and tech sites for a definitive answer to this question and haven't been able to find it so here I go.

I'm interested in buying a aftermarket double din head unit (touch screen/Bluetooth/DVD) but I want to retain ALL buttons on the Steering Wheel Controls (including the bluetooth cell phone buttons pick-up/hang-up).
    I am fully aware that I would need the ASWC-1 module. (http://ae64.com/ASWC-steering-wheel-interface.htm)
    But, I have read that most people lose the correct Bluetooth buttons function which is something I am not willing to sacrifice.
    And I will most likely be ordering SVXdc's wiring harness since everyone who does this seems to recommend his. (Subaru WRX radio harness pin-out)

According to ae64.com:
    Will the ASWC-1 retain all of my SWC buttons?

The ASWC-1 will "see" all of your steering wheel buttons (6 on older Subarus, 8 on newer models with the extra phone/Bluetooth buttons). As far as the module is concerned, they're all just buttons. It doesn't care what the label says on each button. You program the module to determine what remote control command a button sends to the HU. Each button can do any command that the HU supports. That last part is key: Many HUs don't have remote control commands that correspond to all of your wheel's phone buttons (even HUs that have built-in BT). It's a limitation of the HU itself.
    With that said, I have no idea which head units are supported and have no idea how to sort them out.

Has anyone done this and was able to get the Bluetooth buttons to work correctly? If so, what head unit are you using? And what do I need to do when I install?

For my 2014 WRX Limited Hatch with stock Head unit (not the navi).
    Thanks,
    - Joe
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Soon: 2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a X5500BHS and even thought he ASWC auto found the settings. It did not recognize the pickup reject buttons. I had to go thought the manual reprogram which was no big deal. The 3rd button was set to a mute so no voice activation but thats not a problem. I can still select and brows numbers though the HU and still call them from either on screen on the steering wheel. As for playing MP3's/Apps I am able to control them Galaxy S4 & iPhone 4S
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    I have a X5500BHS and even thought he ASWC auto found the settings. It did not recognize the pickup reject buttons. I had to go thought the manual reprogram which was no big deal. The 3rd button was set to a mute so no voice activation but thats not a problem. I can still select and brows numbers though the HU and still call them from either on screen on the steering wheel. As for playing MP3's/Apps I am able to control them Galaxy S4 & iPhone 4S
    Thanks for the quick reply man.
    Just to make sure i understand, So you manually programmed the Bluetooth bottons. The answer phone and hang up buttons function properly but the voice activation button defaults to a mute function and can't be programmed to work? (Not a big deal to me, I just want the answer and hang up buttons to work really)

Also, does your car have a stock microphone for the Bluetooth? And does that work with the head unit or do I need to install an aftermarket microphone as well?
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

I Support ClubWRX
    1st this should and probably will be moved to the Electronics/Car Audio section.

2nd I went though the manual set up starting Page 8 http://assets.sonicelectronix.com/ma...metra/aswc.pdf I haven't been able to get the voice activation to work. Im sure you can try or see if you can search it out but for mine no luck. I never found them great on the phones anyway.

3rd my HU came with a mic and I placed mine on the steering column. No complaints but I rater use my Bluetooth headset.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

My bad on the thread section, I must have missed that section when I was going through the forum.
    If there is a way to move it I would but idk how.
    I read that pdf file the other day, glad to hear it works as advertised.
    Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated.
    - Joe
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Does the Galaxy S4 work with AppRadio Mode? Pioneer's website seems to indicate that the 5500 only works with iPhone's and I'll have to move up to the 8500 in order to get my Google Nav, Pandora, and other apps to integrate.

I Support ClubWRX
    I havent tried but I dont believe they do since the 5500 doesnt have an HDMI input. After doing more research (after I bought the 5500) I would probably consider spending the extra money you get an extra usb input, detachable face and the capability of mirroring. Though I am very happy with the HU. I have a Tom Tom so I dont need the gps and the only thing I would use on my phone is Waze if anything. I dont stream from pandora since I have XM but it does control the app. I just got the S4 a few weeks ago so I dont know what other apps to use.

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I'm going to buy the Pioneer 8500, just trying to figure out what speakers/amp(s)/sub(s) to go with. I just want the best bang for the buck without skimping on quality. I like the audio integrations sub box but one 10" sub might not be enough for me.
    Any recommendations for brands/models of speakers/subs/amps?
    Please share your setups.
    Thanks
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ