2014 WRX Premium Audio Upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX Premium Audio Upgrade within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I decided I couldn't handle the terrible audio quality from the stock headunit and speakers any longer. I am in ...

2014 WRX Premium Audio Upgrade

I decided I couldn't handle the terrible audio quality from the stock headunit and speakers any longer.

I am in the process of buying the system, but the headunit will be the last piece since it is the most expensive.

After serious contemplation, I decided to go with a single DIN unit. I wanted a large screen, but I didn't want navigation. I use a TomTom and have lifetime map updates, and have very good experiences with it, and I have had very bad experiences with in-dash navigation units. The large screens look great, but without navigation my choices were severely limited, and the reviews were hit or miss.

This is my list of parts.

Headunit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT
    Speakers: Polk Audio Mobile Monitor 6501 Components
    Amp: JL Audio JX360/4 (Class A/B)
    Accessories: Axxess ASWC-1, Axxess AX-SUBUSB, Monster Cable RCAs, and Monster Cable speaker wire.

I plan to do the install myself, and have had experience with it, so it shouldn't be a problem. I plan to mount the amp under the passenger seat, and then mount the speakers and tweeters in the factory locations for a factory look.

I am undecided if I would install a small sub in the future as I am not a bass freak, but I believe this setup will be a significant upgrade over stock.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    ďA turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.Ē - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I replaced my head unit also. I got my swc and harness from david. http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm everything was plug and play. You'll have to make the usb harness if you choose to use the stock location. David sells the components you have to solider it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1381330474524.jpg  

It was my understanding that the Axxess AX-SUBUSB was a plug and play way of keeping the stock USB location with an after market headunit.

Axxess AXSUBUSB Subaru USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select 2011+ Subaru Vehicles w/ Aftermarket Stereos
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    ďA turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.Ē - Jeremy Clarkson

You are correct. I ordered all my harness components from david thats why I went with this route. Your is better

Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    You are correct. I ordered all my harness components from david thats why I went with this route. Your is better

Made me nervous for a second! I don't mind sodering and customizing if I have to, but I wanted to avoid it since the car is so new! David's site is actually where I read about this harness, I guess he points people in that direction now.

By the way, your customized harness is much cleaner than most I have seen. At one of my old jobs, I had to make some custom cables for a job we were doing, and I know how tough it can be working in that small area!
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

I've done system installs in the past kinda sloppy. I wanted to have it nice and clean. Everything is soldered and heat shrank. No cutting or splicing. I put in an 8in sundown sub also. Door speakers are next. Not sure what I want.

I'd do the head unit first...it's the most important. Improved power delivery will actually improve the stock sound quality.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    I've done system installs in the past kinda sloppy. I wanted to have it nice and clean. Everything is soldered and heat shrank. No cutting or splicing. I put in an 8in sundown sub also. Door speakers are next. Not sure what I want.

You can find some really nice Focal or Polk Audio speakers online at good prices. I found a really good price on a set of Focals, but realized that the seller wasn't an authorized seller, so I went with the MOMOs from Polk.

Not sure how experienced you are with audio, so I don't mean to insult you, but my advice would be to avoid the major stores like Best Buy. You can find much higher quality speakers and amps for similar prices elsewhere. Crutchfield is always a great please to buy from, they are pricey, but their tech support is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd do the head unit first...it's the most important. Improved power delivery will actually improve the stock sound quality.
    Definitely agree, what I meant was I am buying the HU last, but I'm going to install everything all at one time.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Ah, well that makes sense

I'm actually a bit hesitant to change out my head unit. I love the Bluetooth feature and don't want to screw with it. But coming from my last STI which had a full Focal component system with 2 10in JL subs...the stock sound sucks
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Loss of bluetooth is the number one thing I am concerned about. I have read that a lot of people have success with the Axxess ASWC-1 and being able to keep their steering wheel controls working perfectly.

I just hope it retains the stock characteristics, because I really like having all the phone controls on the wheel.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Same here. If you get at it, lemme know how it goes! I may look for an upgrade come Christmas time.

Where in NJ are you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Same here. If you get at it, lemme know how it goes! I may look for an upgrade come Christmas time.

Where in NJ are you anyway?
    Scotch Plains area. About an hour and a half north of Mt. Laurel.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrb37 View Post
    Scotch Plains area. About an hour and a half north of Mt. Laurel.
    Oh nice!

I know all of NJ very well...grew up in South Jersey, but went to college up in North Jersey...so I've gallivanted all around the damn state haha.

Where did you go to college?
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Good ole William Paterson U up in Wayne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast