Factory radio

This is a discussion on Factory radio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I still have the factory radio installed for now. In my last car I could take a USB flash drive ...

I Support ClubWRX

Factory radio

I still have the factory radio installed for now. In my last car I could take a USB flash drive and plug it in and read from it as long as the files were mp3.

I tried it in the wrx and get an error to check the USB device? Does anyone have any work around for this or know how to use a flash drive?

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Maybe the device is setup to run only on windows or something. Maybe some software issue.

I plugged my USB into the factory radio and it plays music... It however won't play my music from my phone when its plugged in. I get the error you have.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    I plugged my USB into the factory radio and it plays music... It however won't play my music from my phone when its plugged in. I get the error you have.
    What size is your flash drive?
    What is the formatting if your music?
    Is it in folders?

~ jtk07~

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    What size is your flash drive?
    What is the formatting if your music?
    Is it in folders?

~ jtk07~
    -2gb generic flash drive
    -I believe the music is not organized into folders
    - formatting I'm not sure of either, what ever I downloaded from the internet at the time

I can confirm your the answer later after I finish work if you want. I didn't check what car you have but mine is a 2012 wrx

From previous experience in different cars, if you have all your music in 1 folder it'll work. I'm not exactly sure if that is the case with the wrx but maybe you could try that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    -2gb generic flash drive
    -I believe the music is not organized into folders
    - formatting I'm not sure of either, what ever I downloaded from the internet at the time

I can confirm your the answer later after I finish work if you want. I didn't check what car you have but mine is a 2012 wrx
    I would appreciate that!

I have a 13wrx

I will try moving the music out of folders (even tho the radio had "folders" listed as a function to shuffle thru)

~ jtk07~

I Support ClubWRX
    From the Subaru website Subaru Media Hub Interface

"Each folder can contain up to 1000 songs and 200 sub-folders. The Media Hub will read down through up to 8 levels of sub-folders. Songs in excess of 1000 in any single folder will be ignored by the Media Hub. Sub-folders in excess of 200 will also be ignored by the Media Hub."
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Music is not organized into folders and all the songs are Mp3s... Nice colour, I got the same

I had to change the USB settings on my Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player for it to work. My player was in MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode and needed to be in MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode for it to work. Or maybe it was the other way around. But I don't know if this really helps you since you're using just a flash drive. I'm not sure there is a workaround. I think the radio needs to have an mp3 player. Maybe there is some kind of software emulator out there that you can install on your flash drive to trick the radio into thinking there is an mp3 player there. Good Luck!
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

maybe you need to change the formatting of the flash drive itself. not sure what it needs though, sorry

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    maybe you need to change the formatting of the flash drive itself. not sure what it needs though, sorry
    Fyi - Formatting must be fat32 NOT ntfs and it will work

~ jtk07~

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    Fyi - Formatting must be fat32 NOT ntfs and it will work

~ jtk07~
    ^^^^ that. i knew it said something like that somewhere in the owners manual. and i just reformatted an interns usb drive yesterday but couldn't remember the format types available ha