Headunit suggestions
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on Headunit suggestions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Okay, so from what i've heard, I have a 2013 wrx and I heard that the speakers don't suck, but ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Madawaska, Maine, United States
    Posts
    45

    Headunit suggestions

    Okay, so from what i've heard, I have a 2013 wrx and I heard that the speakers don't suck, but it's the stock headunit that's really cheap, I have the base model and based off the Subaru website, the base, premium, and limited all of premium audio. So to my understanding I have a 300-400 budget for a headunit, what would be the best for the price? and would I still be able to use hands free calling, and bluetooth audio streaming, while matching the interior lights at the same time?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Liquid2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by WRB REXXY View Post
    I have a 300-400 budget for a headunit, what would be the best for the price? and would I still be able to use hands free calling, and bluetooth audio streaming, while matching the interior lights at the same time?
    You've heard right.. I would suggest anything made by Pioneer that's within your budget. The AVH-X5500BHS seems like it would be your'e best choice in that price range:
    Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Motorized Touchscreen Display: Car Electronics

    for installation you'd be looking at the following:
    - Metra Axxess ASWC (steering wheel controls) - from ae64.com
    - ae64 20pin forward harness - from ae64.com
    - Parking brake bypass - from ebay
    - JDM replacement fascia/bezel ("A/V panel") - Subaru part # 66065SC130
    (allows you to use the stock head unit mounting bracket instead of an install kit, and looks like it came from the factory instead of having ugly gaps on either side)

    This setup will allow you to keep hands free calling, bluetooth audio streaming, steering wheel controls, and you can choose the button colour to match the interior lights.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Madawaska, Maine, United States
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid2k View Post
    You've heard right.. I would suggest anything made by Pioneer that's within your budget. The AVH-X5500BHS seems like it would be your'e best choice in that price range:
    Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Motorized Touchscreen Display: Car Electronics

    for installation you'd be looking at the following:
    - Metra Axxess ASWC (steering wheel controls) - from ae64.com
    - ae64 20pin forward harness - from ae64.com
    - Parking brake bypass - from ebay
    - JDM replacement fascia/bezel ("A/V panel") - Subaru part # 66065SC130
    (allows you to use the stock head unit mounting bracket instead of an install kit, and looks like it came from the factory instead of having ugly gaps on either side)

    This setup will allow you to keep hands free calling, bluetooth audio streaming, steering wheel controls, and you can choose the button colour to match the interior lights.
    Any other suggestions other then that? :P I'm a noob with a lot of wires and such xD and my towns professional sound system and electronics guy sucks... lol

  5. #4
    Registered User Liquid2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79
    No matter what head unit you buy, you're going to require similar wiring. That's you're easiest route in my opinion. (if you want to keep all the stock features) Took me 20min to wire it completely...

    You could buy just the head unit and 20pin forward harness (connects to stock wiring harness) BUT, you wont be able to use the steering wheel controls, or many of the features of the head unit without the ASWC and ebrake bypass.

    FYI - the bypass is waaaay easier than connecting the parking brake ground from the head unit (you have to pick 1 or the other)

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by WRB REXXY View Post
    Any other suggestions other then that? :P I'm a noob with a lot of wires and such xD and my towns professional sound system and electronics guy sucks... lol
    i was on the same boat as you last month but i took the shot and bought pioneer appradio 3 with the parking brake bypass and the steering wheel control. the wire is simply just follow the instructions on ae64.com site *the forward harness and the headunit harness - all you have to do is connect the same color to each other. * just solder and use heat shrink tubing. it's real simple and your gonna kick your self in the ass that you didn't do it sooner.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Great info in this thread. I too am looking at doing something similar. I have no idea what I'm doing however, and am a bit afraid of tearing things apart, but I'll do it if I have good instructions.

    Is there a post somewhere on how to do this? jling0311 mentioned that you just follow the directions on the ae64.com site?

    What does the ebrake bypass do? It bypasses the ebrake I assume, but what the heck does that even mean?

    I assume this would work with my 2011?

    Thanks

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Wait, does the parking brake bypass simply let you play dvd's while driving? I don't really care about that and have no plans to do that.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbick View Post
    Wait, does the parking brake bypass simply let you play dvd's while driving? I don't really care about that and have no plans to do that.
    some of these headunit set limitation on what it can do ie watch dvd change settings blah blah blah * the parking brake bypass tricks the head unit into thinking that the car is in park

    me personally i would do it jsut to have to ability to do it because maybe you'll change your mind later down the road and your gonna have to take the whole thing apart jsut to put 3 wires into the harness. for me it's just gives me options thats all.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Madawaska, Maine, United States
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid2k View Post
    No matter what head unit you buy, you're going to require similar wiring. That's you're easiest route in my opinion. (if you want to keep all the stock features) Took me 20min to wire it completely...

    You could buy just the head unit and 20pin forward harness (connects to stock wiring harness) BUT, you wont be able to use the steering wheel controls, or many of the features of the head unit without the ASWC and ebrake bypass.

    FYI - the bypass is waaaay easier than connecting the parking brake ground from the head unit (you have to pick 1 or the other)
    I see, what if I would have the Subaru dealership install it, would they do it right orr? I don't wanna mess anything up cause my WRX has 2200 miles xD, it's brand new soo... I just don't want to risk it :/ The stock sound systems pissing me off lol

  11. #10
    Registered User Liquid2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79
    Ask your dealership if thats the route that makes you comfortable.. personally I wouldnt have them do it, but stay AWAY from places like Bestbuy or any other chain store. Maybe just do a little more research on the install and become more confident in doing it yourself... you'll save money and see how easy it really is.

    Start here: Subaru SVX Receiver and Speaker Installation - Intro and TOC

    As jling0311 said: the parking brake bypass is for more than just watching dvds while driving. Other functional settings are disabled as well... and if you decided not to take out your console to wire the parking brake ground (which is the other option) all those settings will be disabled permanently.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Madawaska, Maine, United States
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid2k View Post
    Ask your dealership if thats the route that makes you comfortable.. personally I wouldnt have them do it, but stay AWAY from places like Bestbuy or any other chain store. Maybe just do a little more research on the install and become more confident in doing it yourself... you'll save money and see how easy it really is.

    Start here: Subaru SVX Receiver and Speaker Installation - Intro and TOC

    As jling0311 said: the parking brake bypass is for more than just watching dvds while driving. Other functional settings are disabled as well... and if you decided not to take out your console to wire the parking brake ground (which is the other option) all those settings will be disabled permanently.
    Thank you guys very much!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •