Door speakers good enough to not need a sub? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Door speakers good enough to not need a sub? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by WREXXY 1.) the order is good, you may not even need a 4ch amp if all your ...

Registered User mikal52waltincec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    1.) the order is good, you may not even need a 4ch amp if all your going to get is the basslink. so i'd get the speakers and just see how you like that setup the balance should be decent volume wise.

2.) usually rattling, vibrations, etc contribute to the ability to perceive the origin of the bass (without these its hard but not impossible to use sound differences between the ears to get an idea where the bass is coming from) below 80Hz its hard or almost impossible to tell where its coming from, unless you have the rattling etc. this is a main reason why the 80Hz is a general starting crossover point between subs/component speakers.

3.) i just ordered from ae64 today. sent him my payment, i got an email saying it was shipped today as well. The cruise control is handled by the ECU (despite what uninformed people at the dealership will say: i had a guy try to tell me that i couldn't change the headunit cause everything was run through it.)

His site can be kind of confusing, so you'll need:

20 pin forward harness with 3 SWC cables (blue tooth phone interface i think)

axxess aswc-1 module (if you want the volume, mode, etc buttons to work)

metra ax-subusb (to retain stock usb location, his site also gives other options)

depending on head unit you can get a parking brake bypass from him (to allow eq settings and DVD while moving)

AUX Jack (if you want to retain the stock AUX location)

^^^but if you buy the ipod wire with your headunit they usually take up one of these, but if you email him he'll tell you what will/won't work for you.

4.) another option is you could get a decent 8" sub and just throw it in a small sealed enclosure. it will take up room (usually 0.25 ft^3 or less though).

if you have any questions about setting gains (which is NOT a volume knob, it's more like a voltage from the head unit (through the RCA's) sensitivity knob), or crossovers send me a PM
    You are awesome, thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no problem! i just spent the last month doing all the same research your probably doing. so if you have any other questions let me know.

also, just as an fyi, he might take a couple of days to get back to you after you first email him. he does it on the side and said he's been getting a lot of requests lately. and it's a paypal payment.

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with the avh-x5500bhs th only "problems" I have with the HU is when playing from iPod it takes a few sec to load the artwork and for those few sec you cank skip forwrd or backward. Also it only has one usb rather then 2 (x8800bhs) but anyway I ordered the axxess, 20 pin revers harness and the USB adapter. I didn't worry about the aux since I wired my xm directly to the rear aux of the HU. The wiring wasn't bad a bunch of forums have walkthroughs. The axxess worked in auto detect. I ended up manually programming it since I wanted the pick up hang up buttons to work. The only one that didn't work was the voice command. I ended up keeping it as a mute button. I didn't have to wire as much sine I already had an amp and speakers
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

just an update, ordered my harness and all the other stuff on monday. got home today and the package was in my mail.

happy customer

Awesome, let me know how it works out

soldered everything up according to the information on his site, but pretty much all the wires match so that was relatively easy. I got a kenwood so i just soldered the parking brake wire to the rest of the ground wires (effectively doing what a parking bypass would do. i looked at the diagram and saw all that happens when the car has its emergency brake on is that the wire gets grounded, so that's what i did.)

make SURE to have the right bracket/harness on/removed from the headunit before connecting all the wires up.

but then i pulled the old HU out, plugged up the USB, the AUX, the 20-pin harness, routed the microphone to on top of my steering column, plugged in the antenna, and made w.e. other connections i can't remember right now and was good to go.

a pretty damn easy install to be honest. hardest part was routing the microphone cable up to the steering column.

in the next couple weeks will come all the other goodies. but just have the new HU is a pretty big difference in sound quality!

Sounds like a pretty typical HU install. Does the radio sound better? The stock HU seems very under powered on the radio, but sounds pretty decent with bluetooth audio. Can't wait to get mine now!

i only listened for a second cause i finished around 8pm, but it definitely has more power tuned in to the radio. I could actually hear some of the "low" frequencies which were all but non existent with the stock unit. Could have been me but it also sounds more clear as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12