09 vs 11 stereo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 vs 11 stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm considering selling my vehicles and getting a WRX. Looking at certified prices the 09 would save us money but ...

09 vs 11 stereo

I'm considering selling my vehicles and getting a WRX. Looking at certified prices the 09 would save us money but I like the idea of the new suspension in the 11 and of course a longer warranty in-case I get one of the ones with a bad engine. One thing that I've noticed in the borchers on the subi site is the 09's have a premium 10 speaker stereo and the 11's have a 6 speaker stereo. Is there a big difference in sound? I like to have a good stereo and the only upgrade I would probably want to do is a integrated sub

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stereo in 11 sucks pretty bad!! only thing I like about is that Bluetooth audio streming.. Great for pandora..

Quote Originally Posted by Formula156 View Post
    Stereo in 11 sucks pretty bad!! only thing I like about is that Bluetooth audio streming.. Great for pandora..
    That's kind of what I'm afraid of and with 6 speakers it would take some work to get it sounding good. How about the 09/10 stereos

Well the thing is when you are in wrx best music that you get is your exhaust and sound of your engine most of the time I don't even turn my radio on.

I agree! I'm researching replacing my factory stereo right now. I'll do a write up when I do it. It's looking like it will be one of the new Kenwood NAV systems and maybe a Bazooka sub to keep it simple.

On a side note, I talked to the dealer about the Subaru sub and was told it was a waste of money. Can anyone proved feedback on that?

More to your question of 09 vs 11, I have always lived by the idea to buy the newest you can afford because you usually have less problems!

Just make sure you Carfax the car and know its Maintenance history!

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Formula156 View Post
    -Phillip
    2013 WRX STI WRB

I agree!
    -Phillip
    2013 WRX STI WRB

you guys try this yet? How to Make Subaru Stereo Better Louder | Subaru WRX / STI - YouTube ... it made my 2011 wrx sound a little louder..then i installed a 12' sub and now it sounds waaaaay better!

Quote Originally Posted by kirbie934 View Post
    you guys try this yet? How to Make Subaru Stereo Better Louder | Subaru WRX / STI - YouTube ... it made my 2011 wrx sound a little louder..then i installed a 12' sub and now it sounds waaaaay better!
    There's a few threads about that trick, and I believe it's in the 3rd gen mod thread.

In the end, none of the stock stereos are all that great, though the speakers will sounds halfway decent with an aftermarket head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
    in-case I get one of the ones with a bad engine.
    FWIW, the "bad engines" were for particular build dates on the 09 models. There haven't been any "widespread" engine issues like that since.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    There's a few threads about that trick, and I believe it's in the 3rd gen mod thread.

In the end, none of the stock stereos are all that great, though the speakers will sounds halfway decent with an aftermarket head unit.

FWIW, the "bad engines" were for particular build dates on the 09 models. There haven't been any "widespread" engine issues like that since.

I've heard that all 2.5 turbos can suffer from the bad ringlands, I'll probably stick with a 10 or 11 if it's mostly the 09's. Looks like the 2010 premium's come with the 10 speaker system. I'm sure Crutchfield offers a sub unit that would fit and make a big difference.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's kind of what I'm afraid of and with 6 speakers it would take some work to get it sounding good. How about the 09/10 stereos
    You wouldn't need to do all six speakers to get a good sounding audio system. New head unit, front components, the correct amps/wiring, and a sub and you would be golden. Rear speakers would just be icing on the cake.

I've heard that all 2.5 turbos can suffer from the bad ringlands, I'll probably stick with a 10 or 11 if it's mostly the 09's. Looks like the 2010 premium's come with the 10 speaker system. I'm sure Crutchfield offers a sub unit that would fit and make a big difference.
    I wouldn't even rule out 09's, the bad engines have most likely all been weeded out and replaced by now, and even if you somehow got one that was barely driven or something, Subaru was quite good about making good on this issue with no cost to the owner. I'd be more concerned about finding a stock car than anything else, so the more years you can look for the better.

You can look up the build date of any 09 you might find and compare it to the "bad" build dates here: 2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I wouldn't even rule out 09's, the bad engines have most likely all been weeded out and replaced by now, and even if you somehow got one that was barely driven or something, Subaru was quite good about making good on this issue with no cost to the owner. I'd be more concerned about finding a stock car than anything else, so the more years you can look for the better.

You can look up the build date of any 09 you might find and compare it to the "bad" build dates here: 2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC
    Thanks, that helps a lot

Thanks, that helps a lot
    No problem! I accept cash, check, or money order!

- Will

I probably can send you some monopoly money if you pay the shipping

I've been doing some autotrader searches for certified WRX's and there are several 09 and up's with the premium package near my price range. From looking at the brochure's I think I'll get the upgraded stereo and heated seats with any model year.
    Last edited by 01tj; 07-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.

I probably can send you some monopoly money if you pay the shipping

I've been doing some autotrader searches for certified WRX's and there are several 09 and up's with the premium package near my price range. From looking at the brochure's I think I'll get the upgraded stereo and heated seats with any model year.
    Good luck!
    - Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast