Stock Subaru under seat sub wiring question...for a Volvo 240
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Subaru under seat sub wiring question...for a Volvo 240 within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was at the junkyard the other day, and scored a stock under seat sub from a legacy a few ...

Stock Subaru under seat sub wiring question...for a Volvo 240

I was at the junkyard the other day, and scored a stock under seat sub from a legacy a few days ago...I say "scored" because it cost me only $10, and I was looking to give the system in my old volvo ('82 project car) a bit of an improvement. By the looks of it, the sub looks like the same option that was available on my '12 WRX. With that said, does anyone know if it's possible to wire this to a non-stock system? The volvo currently has an Alpine CDA-9883, and four kenwood 4" speakers. I did keep the pigtail for reference, and I do plan on getting a pretty basic amp. I am just looking to have something decent in the car, but I am saving most of my money for other mods (e.g. turbocharging), hence the current setup. Oh, I also did grab the rear door speakers form the legacy, which look like they're 5" or 6." I haven't hooked those up yet, but I am guessing they will still be an improvement from the 4" speakers currently in the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    From what I remember they take line level inputs. So it should be as easy as wiring hot, ground, remote, and splice line level outs off of your rear door channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    From what I remember they take line level inputs. So it should be as easy as wiring hot, ground, remote, and splice line level outs off of your rear door channel.
    Post No. 4 in this forum says something similar: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more - NASIOC However, no remote, and the sub is wired to the actual speakers. So, if I understand this correctly, I can get a 12V lead directly from the battery, ground to the frame, tap directly into each speaker, and I'm good to go? If so, do I wire the two speakers as a series, or parallel? Any benefits to wiring the fronts verses the rears (I've heard either was done, depending on the year)?

The "sub" does have an amp built into the enclosure from what I read, so it seems as though the amp powers the sub based on the signal it gets from the mids...right?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah.. that's what "line level" means, the wires that run to the speakers. You would splice into the wires, so I suppose that would be parallel.

Front and rear get the same signal, so that's all up to you. Most people prefer to have the sub on the rear channel for whatever reason. The only difference it really makes is with fader adjustment. If you wire the sub to the rears and set the fader all the way front then the sub will get no signal.

The amp is built in, yes. It takes line level inputs and basically adds juice before heading to the speaker itself.

For what it's worth, the OEM Subaru sub is complete junk. I have had three pass through my hands over the last ten years, and all three of them ended up in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah.. that's what "line level" means, the wires that run to the speakers. You would splice into the wires, so I suppose that would be parallel.

Front and rear get the same signal, so that's all up to you. Most people prefer to have the sub on the rear channel for whatever reason. The only difference it really makes is with fader adjustment. If you wire the sub to the rears and set the fader all the way front then the sub will get no signal.

The amp is built in, yes. It takes line level inputs and basically adds juice before heading to the speaker itself.

For what it's worth, the OEM Subaru sub is complete junk. I have had three pass through my hands over the last ten years, and all three of them ended up in the trash.
    I am well aware ;-) I bought this car with 303K miles on it for $300 ... with four 4" speakers, so everything is relative. I did end up installing it, and it turned out better than I thought. I kept the two Kenwood 4" speakers in the front doors, but substituted the larger legacy speakers in the rear doors. The wagon has a nifty compartment in the very back that is completely empty, so I stuck the "sub" back there. What this has really done is what most others have said: it has added some mids. The Kenwoods also sound muuuuch better now. The whole setup cost me about $20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cargo1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	115085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cargo2.jpg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	115086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cargo3.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	115087

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.